Looking for my first Ferrari experience | FerrariChat

Looking for my first Ferrari experience

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kbassilios, May 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kbassilios

kbassilios Rookie

May 24, 2014
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Kristian Bassilios
    Hello everyone!

I am a lifetime car nut and most of my passion has been for British cars. I'm accustomed to and thoroughly enjoy doing all my own mechanical work on my cars. I've owned a 1963 MGB Roadster for the last 16 years which was a 10 year, labor of love, ground-up restoration. Last year I picked up a 1964 Morris Minor Traveller Woodie Wagon. It's a runner but in need of extensive cosmetic and mechanical restoration. The restoration is just getting started but on such a small simple car is relatively straight forward with the exception of the wood framing.

I have always dreamed of owning a Ferrari. As a kid, I must've built no less than a half dozen scale model Ferraris from the 250 GT California Spyder to the 80's iconic Testarossa. Among those models was the 308 GTB, which I've decided will be the most sensible entry for me into the world of the prancing horse. Despite pricey parts, it looks like anyone with a reasonable amount of mechanical experience would be capable of doing the work themselves, especially considering that things like timing belt changes can be done with the engine in situ. I'm not looking for a beater or a restoration project. With classic British cars, parts availability is extensive with lots of common components between makes and models. Ferraris don't seem to have the same advantage. I'm hunting for the best maintained best condition 308 I can afford.

I've had a tremendous experience with car owner groups/forums in the past working on my other cars and look forward to collaborating with another close-knit community here.

-Kristian

2. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Kristian, Sounds like your passion runs deep for Ferrari. You should copy and paste this post in the 308 section and you will get some great advice and maybe a lead or two from some of the 308 gang. Good luck!! Dave