Looking for my first ferrari | FerrariChat

Looking for my first ferrari

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Usflaw92, Jun 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Usflaw92

Usflaw92 Rookie

Jun 3, 2014
    Hyde park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Avedis Kotchounian
    Ive been wanting to buy a ferrari for a while now, and I'm in a position where I could buy one. Ive been looking at the 360, 355, or the Testarossa (my favorite). Im currently in law school and was wondering what would be the best option to drive maybe more than once a week. My father is an ASE certified mechanic and can work on any car so maintenance wouldn't cost me too much, just the parts. Id prefer stick shift from hearing about the transmissions, what would be my best route? Thank you in advance!

2. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Don't count on your dad being able to work on your. He can do some things but unless he has the right software (which he probably doesn't) he can't do a lot things the car will need. (at least the 360 not sure about the others)

3. Usflaw92

Usflaw92 Rookie

Jun 3, 2014
    Hyde park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Avedis Kotchounian
    Well Im looking at the Testarossa, and I've noticed the problem with these are oil leaks so that part wouldn't be an issue. The 3-5 year maintenance with the belts and fluid changes wouldn't be an issue. Is there anything else that i would need to do to take it to the dealership?

4. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not sure about the Testarossa. Post on the main part of this board. The posters on this site have a ton of knowledge.

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If the TR is your favorite........ THAT is what you should be shopping for. If your Dad is going to work on it, he will still need to know the cars, and don't forget, the engine has to come out on the TR for the major.

I had a TR for 10 years and it was brilliant!

6. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    You're a student and you're thinking about buying a Ferrari?

So therefore, since you're in school, is it safe to assume that you have no, or little current income? Your dad is a Mechanic (Is this what he does for a living, and is he putting you through school?).

And you're thinking about buying a two-decade-old Italian car which has some key failure components that are made of unobtainium?

And this degree of wisdom would make me wish to use your legal services once you're out of law school, in what capacity, again?

7. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I would seriously look at the 360 for a number of reasons. Firstly, timeless design (looks very current, only we know its year), secondly alloy body (others you mention are not), thirdly, dependability (get the 6 speed) and lastly just a blast to drive. Oh it was my first Ferrari and I'm on my second 360 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I think that covers it. Good luck.

8. Usflaw92

Usflaw92 Rookie

Jun 3, 2014
    Hyde park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Avedis Kotchounian
    The car wouldn't be driven constantly, and I wouldn't call for a two decade old ferrari to perform as a brand new car, nevertheless needing repairs. Now If I require for additional incompetent criticism, Ill be sure to send you a memo

9. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Oh, so you come on this forum asking a question, and only expect to receive positive responses, and zero questions from people who have actually lived a life beyond their student years, and you have sufficient life experiences to be wise enough to judge my response as incompetent criticism?

Wow, you are no doubt going to be the best Attorney EVER!!!

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I own a 355 so I am a bit biased but given the three you mentioned my comments would be that the TR is not the right choice for an initial Ferrari.

A friend who lives close by had two 360s , got a TR for a year and just got another 360. His comment was driving the TR was an "event". Not something you jumped in for a quick ride for a loaf of bread. No power steering, field of vision issues and just general unfriendliness. Great car, fun to drive but maybe a Ferrari best to own as your second car. Not to mention major service costs vs a 360. Do your homework.

360 vs 355. No engine out service for 360, larger more modern car with updated features. 360 values are near well sorted , desirable 355s.

355s are smaller, more raw, less refined feel. Sound is unsuspassed and no contest appearance wise. In my opinion. There are inherent issues that need to be vetted by the buyer but an absolute blast to drive and own.

All said, I would ask you what kind of owner do you see yourself being? 355s are the end of a more hand tooled Ferrari and 360s are the beginning of the modern era. Drive , look, listen and feel both of them . They are very different cars and the experience is different as well.

Good luck.

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    No offense bro but unless your dad has worked on Ferrari's a good deal and thus has some one of a kind tools, this comment is simply ludicrous.

12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I would buy a beater and drive it to the junk yard on graduation day.

Save your money and invest it. Make more.

You are JUST getting started in life.

An old Italian Sports car is the last thing you need. The girls don't care and the potential employeers will think you do not really need the job.

Double-Lose for You.

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    True that. Especially living in the USA.

14. Usflaw92

Usflaw92 Rookie

Jun 3, 2014
    Hyde park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Avedis Kotchounian
    Thanks for the advice!