Hi from Berkeley California - comradery needed! | FerrariChat

Hi from Berkeley California - comradery needed!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 77_scorp, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 77_scorp

77_scorp Rookie

Oct 23, 2014
    Ok. I'm here in my humble and gentle approach in the beginnings in a search for a later model mondial 3.2 or T but would prefer the service with engine in model variation.

All I can say is I am very interested in the Mondial for some genuine reasons. I like the look, I like the interior, i like the motor design and want to learn the service routines. Basically it's a fit for me and I think i can pull off owning it and keeping it on the road. I wouldn't be scared to drive it any chance I could get, and wouldn't want to own one and just look at sitting parked. I want in the driver seat damn it!

As a former collector of alfas and fiats, Peugeots and Lancias (all fantastic experiences and great fun to work on) I am ready for something that might be a bit more edgy. I have built a Lancia scorpion from the ground up landing me a page in HSEC magazine, and it was an awesome journey. Not a Ferrari by any means but a great intro into mid engine cars, Pininfarina, plus the execution is similar and maintenance concepts related to what the Mondial requires - like belt replacements, tricky cramped engine bay, rare parts and trim prices, you know what I mean. It took me 5 years and but the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about what the car reminded me of, I loved it
    For what it wasn't and for what it was.

Now here's what I am considering in terms of my options.

a cosmetically excellent Mondial in need of motor work that I could slowly sort out at my pace.

A fully functional car that's needs nothing that's needs some odds and ends.

I am on a budget in terms of my entry point. I'd prefer to spend the money over time rather than all up front on a premium example as I am wanting to service myself.

Ok so you guys are the experts and I ask you this:

What is the best way to get into a decent example and what's a good price point for a the options I'm looking for?

I hear a project is more expensive than a fully sorted car, not unlike many other exotics or many cars in general, what might I find for a non op car? How to find such a thing?

Do you know anyone whose someone who rehabbed a project Mondial? What was the experience like for them?

Any advice really appreciated. Thanks so much everyone, I am hoping to be posting here on my journey into ownership and really could use some support along the way! I am nervous I will admit!

-Nathan

2. s52

s52 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hello Nathan,

I am new here as well. I also live in the East Bay.

On the hunt for my first Ferrari too! Im looking for a F355 Berlinetta.

-Christian

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Welcome Nathan!

For those answers you're best bet is to visit the Mondial specific forum. In most cases they say a sorted Ferrari is cheaper long term vs. a project. However this is not applicable in all cases but depends on if you will be doing work yourself and/or the model.]

We have a great Tech section as well, sure you will find ALL the answers you need. Just browse a bit and see what comes up.

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I have to agree with Tamas. Good luck on your quest. You'll eventually find the one you just HAVE to have!

Welcome to FerrariChat!

Mike

5. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Welcome to F-Chat, Nathan!