Life and cars collide(intro) | FerrariChat

Life and cars collide(intro)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rodmar, Mar 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    I'll start off with saying hello and thanks for having me. The last week has been a rough week for me and my wife, and also an opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream. A dream I'm sure most have had growing up after hearing the sounds of these cars, and looking at the beauty of these wonderful, crazy, sleek machines.

Just this week at the very young age, we'll just say mid 20's, I was diagnosed with leukemia. Again it has been a rough week, but again an eye opener. Something's telling me I need to fulfill that dream we talked about above.

As far as what I own now, I drive a 2015 Daytona Grey Audi S4 and my modifications are as follow: Avant Garde 310 wheels, H&R street Performance Coilovers, Roc Euro air intake, and AWE Touring Exhaust

As far as what I want to get within a year is either a 360 or a 430. Both seem to be a possibility considering I've seen some used 430's in the 100k range, but the 360 seems more realistic at the 60k or so range being that it'll be a weekend car and living in SD doesn't leave much time to drive it!

I hope to gather more information to make a decision as long as medical bills don't kill me first and have a decision made in 6 months while I'll then really begin my search.

Thanks in advance for the welcome even if this thread only gets 1 post haha.

As a hobby I do collect HK firearms and love modding my Audi S4 as you can see already.

I am a member of Audizine and HKpro as far as forums go with the same username.

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Welcome aboard ;) and wish you the best of luck with your medical issues. Just so you know there is an 89 Mondial coups in the for sale section for less than 40K.
    That one will sell fast, so look around ask questions and just go for it. Read the sub forums under 360 and 430, you will learn a lot. Take care and enjoy the drive.

3. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the welcome. Right now the plan is to read what I need to know on both cars and figure out what I need to have saved up for repairs, luckily for me I do have a friend in Minneapolis who works on these types of cars well just say.

I have done some of my own repairs on my Audi's and I get the jist on some things.

4. 456rogers

456rogers Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Idaho Springs CO
    Welcome and good luck with everything

5. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    Thanks.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  7. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    Thanks for a great welcome, I saw that CNC was a sponsor here, I may have to contact them.

8. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
    Please let me know if I can help. Welcome to F Chat and I wish you the best in your battle!!!! :)
    Thank you!

9. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Good luck with your health and your search. You have definitely found the best site for information. Keep us posted on what you find out there.

10. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    Thanks for all the welcomes haha, I was assuming I'd get one looking at the other intro threads started.

Well Ill be at the hospital today for more tests and to visit with my Dr.

On the Ferrari note, CNC, I'll have to contact you when I started really looking to purchase here in 6 months or so if you guys happen to have a car I'm interested in. Right now you do and looks like recently you sold a couple I would have been all over. If medical bills aren't to bad down the road, then I can see what kind of example I can get myself into as far as the 360 goes.

11. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    2003 Ferrari 360 for sale in Dallas, TX

Found another one here. Prices I can't seem to gauge, 89k doesn't seem horrible but what seems to really dictate price? Most of the ones I see have major repairs up to date and and priced around 65-90k. I'm trying to figure out what kind of price I should be paying for something similar to what I linked, mileage isn't bad but 30k miles is about where I'm fine as well.

2003-2004 for the year, like I said mileage at 20-30k, don't mind manual, but auto is fine to me, and just makes things easier for me with possibly later health. Red and tan and a spider are a must.

12. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Rodmar, best of luck with everything.

For pricing, mileage and stock vs. mods are key. Aftermarket additions will take away from value in general. Also, service done recently vs. service due would or should be factored into prices. Finally, and the most obvious, any accident damage. The last point should be the first one investigated when prices seem too good to be true.

13. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    I'm hoping I can find a good example when the time comes that has had its majors done so ill be set for awhile. I plan to take out a loan, so I want the out of pocket in the beginning to be minimal as I have medical bills to take care of constantly now. I actually have to be on chemo my whole life I've come to find out, and the drugs are quite spendy.

14. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    What do people think of 10 year loans on say a 430?

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    First off welcome aboard. May we all give you a lift in life!

As for financing, especially when you are young, I'd follow whatever Dave Ramsey would say. Let me know what your answer would be.

16. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    Dave Ramsey has time to wait to buy it with cash haha

Who knows if I have 10 years, especially in my job or with my new illness. I say a 10 year loan but I know id have it paid off in 3.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Welcome and best wishes with life.

We get it. I know that I bought mine when I did because I didn't want to wait to "buy cash" and have my first Ferrari in my late in life and I can't get in because of back pain.

OTOH, you know that tomorrow might not come so live for the day and don't anticipate being able to wait. Do you need a 430 to get the experience you want? Will a 348 do?
    When I bought mine it was a 348 in the $30's or a low price 360. Both would have made me equally happy.

Just be careful. I'm sure that you've thought of this.. and please do live more for the moment... but be aware that your wife and estate can have financial issues after you pass for debts that you collect. Jus' sayin'..

18. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    I couldn't agree more. A man just like myself here, the 430 is a dream but the 360 is a reality. I've been thinking about a 10 year loan just to keep payments low, but if I saved after the medical bills I could have it taken care of in 2-3 years. Luckily if anything happens to me my wife could still sell the car to take care of it or she can sell off my guns to pay it off.

But the 360 is more then enough for me and my dream to also be met. I appreciate the advice, it'll keep me on track haha.

19. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    My question is what can I do with my saved up cash now to really turn it into more while I wait?

20. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
  21. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Welcome and good luck with your fight and your passion. My boss was diagnosed with Leukemia a couple of years ago and it took him about a year or so to fight it but fight it he did. You have a bit of a journey ahead of you over the next year but I have confidence that you will beat this.

Keep the passion going. Feel free to post in the model specific section with questions or even virtual high fives for current owners. Passing on good vibes will come back to you in good karma points.

-F

22. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    1999 Ferrari F355 for sale in Green Oaks, IL

Seems like a great price! I really love the look of the 355 even more then the 360 if only the engine was available for view like in the 360/430. That's the one thing I like about the 360 the most.

23. Rodmar

Rodmar Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    South Dakota
    I love reading when someone gets a 430 and such. Makes the dream seem even more possible. I'm glad I have a supportive wife along for this journey who will allow me to fulfil the dream.