"Affording" a Ferrari with ~100K Salary? | FerrariChat

"Affording" a Ferrari with ~100K Salary?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dhk70, Mar 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhk70

dhk70 Rookie

Mar 21, 2015
    Hello! So I started college and won't be making money until 6+ years, but based on my major, I can assume that I will be making ~100K/110K. I live in NJ but don't mind working in NY. I mention this because I don't know much about economics but I believe NJ has high tax/salary deductions (?) which may be a deciding factor. Also, I think working in a different state than the one you live in affects taxes?

Anyway, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who bought a supercar, Ferrari or not, with a salary ~100K. Was it worth it? Are you still able to max out your 401k every year, save money for traveling expenses for your parents, and save money for your hobbies (e.g. gaming)? Or would you advise against this? Thank you!

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, "a Ferrari" incorporates 60 years of cars and price ranges from the mid-teens to the multi-million. So, the answer is another question: what do YOU mean by the term?

3. dhk70

dhk70 Rookie

Mar 21, 2015
    #3 dhk70, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    By term, do you mean a specific model and price range? I can't say a specific model because I'm sure there will be other models that will interest me in 10 more years. As for price range, the ones I am interested in (not just a Ferrari) have been ~150K-250K.

4. dhk70

dhk70 Rookie

Mar 21, 2015
    Aiming for anything above 250K, which is already quite high for my assumed salary, would be too unrealistic :(

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I wouldn't obsess too much over the finances of a Ferrari at this stage. If you're still in university, it will probably be a while yet before you actually have sufficient disposable income to spend on a car of exuberance like a Ferrari. Wait until the finances are a little closer and then plan the purchase budgets. For now, you need to budget obsessively to cut out luxuries to focus your finances on your 6+ years of education and ensure you can spend as much of your time on that without the distraction of huge hours at a minimum wage job to get through it. Some part-time hours are good, but if you need too many then it can get quite tough - trust me, I know.

In the meantime, the model forums are fun to follow. Living vicariously to escape from it all is something I'm quite familiar with. :)

All the best,
    Andrew (recent graduate).

PS:
    Welcome to FerrariChat!

6. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    You will not be able to purchase and maintain a Ferrari in the range you mention with $100K income, living in NJ (expensive), paying off college loans etc.

Set your sights lower, e.g. a lesser priced model, or wait.

7. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes, you can. If you shop around and find a model with no stories. In that range your going to be looking at 308s,328's, 360's, 430's and possibly 458's with their steady decline in price.
    if your handy with a wrench, you can save yourself thousands just by doing some of your own maintenance. They are quite easy cars to work on. The newer ones with all the fancy electronics are much more difficult to wrench on and you'll need a special computer to read those models.
    At the end of the day, it's still a car like any other. Just might be a little more special.
    Parts are slightly more expensive and they are a bit to up keep. But if you do they will run and run. The experience from owning it will make it invaluable to you.
    Being a kid and dreaming about owning a Ferrari one day inspires you and when you finally are able to get one, it will make all the struggles and hours worked so worth it.
    Any higher end sports car is going to run a little bit more than your average car. But believe me, once your start your Ferrari up, nothing else matters :)

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Education/home/ car

In that order of priority.

Wife and kids are optional. :)

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Similar salary, live in a lower cost area (Houston), max out 401k, have 2 kids and a mortgage.....and yes, took 9 years to put together $150k of fun money.

Can be done IF it is a HIGH priority.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well, nowadays (in this current market), a no-issue car (308, 328, 360) will be around at least $70-75k. The 430's and esp 458s are out of the question. Maintenance will NOT be cheap. Unless you are financing for 5-10 years, you are single, a DIYer, have no loans to pay, etc, I'd say it will be tough for a $100k annual salary. A good car maybe a well-sorted 3.2 Mondial Coupe (no engine out service, reliability of a 328) but remember, no Ferrari is cheap to maintain.

11. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    The wife and kids will kill the budget!
    Even just a wife could kill the budget.
    Choose carefully and watch out for girlfriends. LOL

Education and Home are definitely first and second. I would add Roth IRA as 3rd then F Car

If Ferraris are you passion you can afford them on modest incomes but you have to be frugal and save, save and then save more. No fancy new expensive daily driver, expensive vacations, restaurants, cloths, toys and etc. I worked 2 part time jobs for 10 years and bought the car without financing and had money set aside for a full service. That is the way to do it. The saddest thing I have heard is people having to see their cars because they could not afford them.

12. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This.

13. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    As you know, 100k today will not be the same in ten years....

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If you're planning on a sub-150K Ferrari in 10 years, all your choices have already been built. So pick your poison :)

15. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I don't make a 100k a year. But as others pointed out. Education,House, Roth IRA then Ferrari. In my case I work on high end cars (master craftsman) so if you don't, better find a good mechanic who won't take your money and run. Ferrari's are not cheap and the talent to work on them isn't either. First things first.....now back to the books.

16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Optional??? Why? For the extra coin saved you can buy a nice sound system for you Ferrari!!! (Like one is really required) :D

17. PRS Guitarist

PRS Guitarist Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Like anything else in life that is worthwhile, make it a funding priority. Put away some every two weeks until you can pay cash. Then shop around and get advice from the good folks here. Waiting and planning will make the purchase all the sweeter later.

18. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do you have family money backing you up? If not, then it will take a while. Biggest costs are taxes and rent. Buying a place? Wait for next recession and buy then, no need to buy in a sellers market. House prices drop at least once every 10 years and you dont need to catch thr absolute bottom, just dont buy at the top :)

19. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Sellers market???? Where??? Come to PA and take your pick on houses.;)

20. dhk70

dhk70 Rookie

Mar 21, 2015
    #20 dhk70, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you for the welcome! :)
    You're right. I'm just the type of person to stress out if I don't plan ahead and am not certain of things. I recently had a *brief* conversation with my parents about how much money goes into housing/utilities, insurance, and more (they usually never tell me anything when I ask), and I realized that expenses were much...bigger than I had expected.

In any case, thank you for the advice. I'll focus on my schoolwork for now and take up some part-time work starting the next spring semester. Yes, the model forums are definitely something I will be following! Congratulations on your graduation!

Hmm. May I ask how long it took you to learn how to maintain your car? I'm actually not so good with working with my hands but I'm down to learn if need be.
    And thank you for sharing. I always hear the opposite--how the novelty wears off while the bills go up--so it's nice to know that there are people who feel great after fulfilling that dream.

Would it change anything if I said I wouldn't have any loans to pay off after I graduate? Or is it still wishful thinking?

Texas has no income tax, right? Nine years require a lot of patience and determination... Congratulations and great work!

I forgot to mention that I am female. I'll remember to be careful when dealing with girlfriends haha ;)

Education will be fully paid with no loans if nothing bad happens. *knocks on wood* I am not sure about the home but honestly speaking, I don't have plans for marriage. I might stick with the house I've lived in or move to a smaller place. So I should combine a Roth 401k with the Roth IRA?

The car is certainly not the first thing I have on mind and I don't need to get one right away. While I would love to one day own my own Ferrari, I also want to repay my parents for raising me and stuff. So once I get a job, I won't focus solely on retirement accounts or luxuries but saving money for my parents to use. My mom wants to travel the world when she retires and my dad has never had a vacation in his working life. So far, I'm thinking it'll total up to 500K to go to Korea, Europe, Alaska, and HK/Shanghai but I could be totally under. Don't know much about prices because I don't like traveling myself.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Direct yet classy :p There's still room/time for surprises.

Yes, sir!

I don't think they would fund a supercar haha. They might buy me a regular car for daily use but I have no problem using my mother's until I can buy my own. Thank you for your advice.

I'll try. Saving is my priority but there's a lot of different stuff to save for. Thank you!

But I like where I live :) Rainy, suburban, close to NY, and safe.

21. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Since you are female, California is amazing choice for you. Prices for that thing will be pretty low in few years.

P.S. Be sure to take serious advanced driving classes before you jump in very powerful (Ferrari) car.

22. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Not sure if I completely understand the question.

6 years from now you aim to make $100k a year (inflation adjusted) and are asking if you will be able to afford a $150k-250k (inflation adjusted) car?

Could you, probably. Should you, no. At the silliest point in my life at 26 making $200k I spent $100k on a F355. I wouldn't dream of spending 50% of my salary on a car now and I think you are considering 150% - 250% ?

But I may have misunderstood the question. Regardless, Ferrari's are not cars you should just be able to afford as there are always risks of very large surprises :)

23. shewu

shewu Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    6+ years? Are you doing something that involves grad school, but not a PhD or residency? (e.g. pharmD)

Also remember you'll have opportunities for internships. As far as I'm aware, a decent opportunity in tech or finance pays at least $20k a summer, not sure about other fields. You'll also have opportunities during the academic year, but don't overbook yourself! This was how I funded my 997.1 during my senior year of undergrad. (Granted, my parents paid full tuition, and I'm expected to do the same for my potential offspring, in addition to "helping" them with their retirement).

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Doubt it. Unless you live in the country and have very cheap rent or mortgage. Even then 30% to taxes, assuming $70k. $150k car loan over 6 years at 3%, $2300/mo or $27600/yr. So end up with $42400, health insurance at what? 500/mo now at $36400, less lets say $1000 mo $24400, less food and living expenses.. You're not saving a dime. Note I didn't put insurance in there either or repairs. Unless live paycheck o paycheck.. Doubt it.

25. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Like everything in life. Priorities. Owning a Ferrari is only half of the equation, and all of the owners and great minds on this forum can likely attest to this. A friend of mine just spent $60,000 on his TR, a shop bill, sixty thousand dollars. Granted it's gorgeous, but I'm making a point. Everyone has their own way of 'checking the box' of life, ie. buy a house, pay your education, save, spend etc. Just prioritize how you feel comfortable, don't over extend that comfort level, and buy something you REALLY love (even if that's not a prancing horse).

Ask any serious car guy in the world, "What should I buy?", and after the obvious homework and learning, buy what you love! :)

ps. For what it's worth, I graduated in 2009, just paid off my last loan this month, own a home, married, baby, the whole 9 haha, annnnd have found the time and money for an F car and some other fun things along the way, but it took lots of prioritizing Enjoi!