330 GTC and problems already! | FerrariChat

330 GTC and problems already!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Edc2104, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    #1 Edc2104, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am happy to have acquired a '67 330 GTC but several problems have popped up and my ownership trial of an older Ferrari has begun with a fury.

First, the car was damaged in transport and you can follow the thread, "Car damaged in transport...any experience?" Apparently, the car hit the top of the transporter and damaged the roof. Nice thing to see when your Ferrari comes off the truck. Anyway, the saga continues and you can read and see the pics in the aforementioned thread.

Second, after driving the car around for several days, the brakes seem to have gone away. The pedal is hard, but I don't think I am getting the power boost. Pressing hard on the pedal gives stopping power, but its not like it was. I have bled the brakes and checked the pads and rotors. All look fine. I am also getting plenty of vacuum to the booster. I believe the power booster has gone bad and I will have that checked once I get the car back from the body shop.

All part of owning a Ferrari!

About the car. It is a 5, including me, owner car and the previous owner had it for 35 years. It has a completely original interior as well as "some" of the original paint, but areas have been repaired. I have a complete toolkit and all books and brochures. The engine was rebuilt and has about 11k miles on it. This is the strongest 330 I have ever driven.

I hope to get the car back from the body shop next week and then it goes to my mechanic to diagnose the brakes and re-jet the carbs. It was previously located at high altitude and is now at sea level.

I look forward to driving the car and attending the events in my area as well as meeting other Ferrari enthusiasts!

Photos below are from the previous owner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What a great car. It really is one of the great Ferrari's. A couple of bumps in the road that will get resolved and will just add to the stories told about your tenure with the car in the coming years. It's kind of like house training a new puppy.

Congrats, you are very lucky to be one of the few that gets to call one of those "Mine".

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Fantastic car.

Other than the body damage are the issues from infrequent use by previous owners?

4. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Tough to say.

I know the previous owner of 35 years drove the car about once a month and was meticulous about maintenance. His drive, which I test drove, were around the canyons of Utah and involved some serious accelerations but little brake work. The car drove perfectly when I got it for a couple of days and then the brakes suddenly lost power. I feel it is coincidence that they went out. The jets need to be changed because of the dramatic drop in altitude, 5000' to sea level. Everything else on the car works perfectly. The car has AC but it is not connected. No need to overheat the engine.

Hopefully I can get everything rectified quickly so I can enjoy driving!!

I will keep everyone updated.

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Congrats! Beautiful car.

6. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Nice car, what makes you believe you need to change the jets? What jets do you think need to be changed?

I ask because my car has DFI carbs and I regularly drive from 1,000 ft to 6,000 ft elevation and surprisingly have not experienced any problems, unlike some other multi-carb cars I've tuned.

Most of the problems I've had with carbs and altitude changes were with the Idle, different jetting did not help much, it was mostly tuning of the carbs, and was always a compromise. Don't forget that the accelerator pump volume may need to be increased for sea level if the car was really tuned for high altitude.

7. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I agree with your comments and I appreciate your advice.

I would not worry too much with occasional drives at different elevations, but having the car jetted for high elevation and bringing it down to sea level permanently, I don't want the car running to lean. Not good for the valves...

Brief runs won't do too much damage but running your car either too rich or too lean for an extended time can cause some serious damage to your engine as well as not getting optimal performance.

The car will be put on a dyno and have the air/fuel mixture and exhaust gas analyzed to find the correct jetting for both the idle and main jets.

I'll let you know how it turns out. May not have to change anything!

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gorgeous car, and thank you for sharing the pictures and narrative. Sorry for the troubles, but all will be forgotten in short order. Please keep us posted on the jetting, I am curious what you find. I once owned a 78 308 GTS with stock jetting. I had it tuned at a dyno shop...it was super lean for emissions! Dangerously so, they felt. Plugs were gapped too tight as well. The car was back to oem hp of around 217hp (corrected to crank) when all done (stock was 205hp). It was barely doing 195 before.

9. GT (giapponese-tifosi)

Apr 21, 2015
    Japan. 
    Full Name:
    Kamegorou
    Nice to meet you!
    I also 330GTC lovers.
    Brother of your car will stay in Japan.  (Red / Black & Borrani)
    I posted a "Red 330GTC".
    Please see my "Japanese Vintage Ferrari Episode" as well.
    Best regards,
    GT. Kamegorou.

10. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    #10 Edc2104, Sep 5, 2015
    Finally got the power booster and master cylinder back!

Parts look great!

Hopefully we will be back on the road by next weekend. It's been a long and frustrating summer with no car.

Once the brakes are back we will retune the carbs with the new jets and see how she does!

I really can't wait

11. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Booster is in and brakes are working great.

Right before the test drive, the mechanical fuel pump started leaking...

We now need to rebuild the pump.

This is never-ending!

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ummmm, welcome, to Vintage Ferrari Ownership!!!

"We fixed this, last week......we will fix this, this week........and then, next week....."

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You'll know you've owned it for a while when you start fixing things for the second or third time!

Beautiful car, by the way. One of the greats...

14. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Gorgeous car and my favorite Ferrari model of all time. Enjoy!

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    :D :D :D

That rubber stem isn't right, for a wire Borrani, is it???

It should have an aluminum solid stem, or no?
    In any case, the cap is missing.....

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Evan,

I would strongly recommend having Francois Sicard go through the car for you. It may smooth out a lot of the sorting bumps you are going through.

Regards,

Art S.

17. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Evan, congrats on a great purchase, 330's are so pure and the V12 is amazing to drive, that car just goes and goes.

PM if you may need any hard to find parts, especially little nuts, bolts, odds and ends down to the "correct" Ansa stickers/stripe etc. My friend and I sold ours awhile back, but have basically an entire cars worth of spares, most of which are still in their packing from their original purchase (previous owner) in the 1980's from the factory, T Rutlands, Dennis M. etc etc.

Above all, enjoy that gorgeous car! Congrats

18. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I'm not sure. The car came with the alloys originally. Someone here with more knowledge than I could probably answer that.

Honestly, I never noticed it until you just brought it to my attention! In any case it now has a cap.

19. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    #19 Edc2104, Sep 16, 2015
    I picked the car up last Saturday but the weekend was poor weather around here so I didn't have a chance to drive it much. Just from the shop to my house which is less than 3 miles. I was just happy to finally have it back in my garage!
    Hopefully I'll be able to go for a good drive this weekend and see how the car drives with the new jetting.

My mechanic took it for several test drives and he was very impressed with the way it drove. He kept raving about how strong the motor was and how smooth the car drove.

Now that fall is here I hope to be taking it out often.

20. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I used to own one, and my car came on mags too. I hope you got them along with the Boranis. I added Boranis for looks, but I was amazed in the difference in feel and handling at "moderate", not even "spirited" speeds. BTW, do you know if your car was originally red?

21. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I do have the original wheels and they look pretty nice but I would have them refinished if I was going to put them back on. I like the look of the Borranis way more however I understand these wheels tend to flex quite a bit. I'm not a racer so I'm not too worried.

The car has always been red. Aside from the front left and roof (due to a shipping incident) the paint is original.

22. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Evan

Your car is beautiful and you really got it sorted out quickly for a vintage car! But things will continue to occur as you drive her and that is all part of the journey. We store and maintain one here at the shop and she is a joy to drive especially as the RPMs increase! Look forward to hearing if the rejetting is needed.

Cheers
    Peter

23. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Ok, here's what we found out with the "sea level" jets. Driving impression- couldn't tell any difference. Car still ran really strong but their was no discernible change. I am getting a little more noise from the carbs, like more air intake noise when you rev the engine from idle but I'm not sure the carbs are totally tuned in. There is no hesitation and the exhaust appears to be clean and has a good burn color.

The dyno revealed a +3 horsepower gain, but that is within the testing margin of error so I'm not too sure if that means anything. The sniffer indicated that we are actually putting out more hydrocarbons than before, but intuitively, that makes sense. More air-more fuel-more combustion by-products. We will have to put more miles on the new setup to get a better baseline but I haven't had a whole lot of time to drive the car. Weather and family events are really impacting my fun time! I'll take the plugs out and give them a visual examination after more runs and check the burn.

The brakes are working great and I'm very happy with the rebuild. They did a fantastic job and the servo and master cylinder look awesome. It actually cost less than what I expected and was quit reasonable. If anyone is in need, let me know and I'll let you know who I used. Turn around was about 3 weeks.

The fuel system is now free from leaks. We will obviously have to keep monitoring the lines. The car has never had ethanol fuel in it, but I guess age will deteriorate anything no matter how careful you are.

As for now, I'm pretty happy with what we have accomplished and I'm excited to continue the fine tuning process. This car is really fun to drive and I hope to have more opportunities to get out there before winter gets here. I feel the weather in the northeast is setting in pretty quickly.

As an aside, if anyone has a bead on a windshield, please let me know. Mine is totally blasted! I have a second from the previous owner, but it has a crack in the lower right.

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Your car looks amazing Evan, congrats and enjoy mate. :)

25. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Welcome aboard!