Considering a 550 | FerrariChat

Considering a 550

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ixlr8, Aug 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi,
    I have a 67 Miura that I have had for almost 30 years. It is now in need of restoration and I am considering selling it as I don't have the time to do the work. I am looking for a 550 or 575 to replace it.

Jim

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #2 greyboxer, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    I'm sure the Miura would be very marketable currently - you might want to contact Joe Sackey on here or direct via his website

For more information on 550/575 check out the specific section

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I would personally go 575 with fiorano handling pack, but maybe stick shift as the F1 was still a little clunky (although the one I had was still awesome, but I would fear for long term maintenance costs)

Miura is awesome, a beautiful car and one you will probably miss for a lifetime when it's gone, but I can understand not wanting to get into a restoration, and you will likely get some good offers to take it on. Make sure you keep in touch with it, and be amazed when it's fully restored

4. PRS Guitarist

PRS Guitarist Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    550 vs. 575 is the topic of many threads here. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Whichever you choose, research and patience will go a long way. There are pre purchase check lists on this site for the 550 and 575 that will allow you ask the right questions and avoid having surprise upgrade/repair costs. With all that being said my mechanic told me that the 550 is his favorite because of the old school 6 speed gated transmission and analogue gauges. As a 550 owner I would not trade my car for any F1 transmission car out there. Taz (Tazandjan) and Fat Billybob are a great resource and a wealth of information on these vehicles.

5. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thank you for the welcome and information. I have spent more hours than I care to admit reading the 550/575 forum. I didn't see the pre-purchase check list, I will have to look for that. I will also see if I can get in contact with Joe Sackey. I am leaning towards a 6sp over the F1, I just need to drive a 6sp to see if my bad left knee can handle the clutch. That is one of the reasons for selling the Miura, my knee is getting bad enough that the clutch effort is causing issues. I have no issues with the clutch in my Passat, but that one takes very little effort.

6. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Jim, have owned a 575 F1 since 2010. I understand the manual transmission craze. If the clutch or knee become a factor know that the 575 version of the F1 is pretty solid. A first impression will be that it comes off as choppy compared to more modern units. With driving experience it becomes much better and a non event. Initially it was just about a deal breaker for me and now not even a factor, and others have echoed a similar experience.
    Reading about 575 F1 reliability issues since about 2006, they are very few and far between with most clutches lasting 30 to 40k miles. The higher torque of the 12 cylinder seems to help longevity over the 8 cylinder cars. There are a few maintenance items to do to provide reliability such as changing to a heavier duty F1 relay and more often F1 fluid change intervals, both relatively inexpensive.
    Taz covered most of this in his many post.
    Best of luck in the new adventure.
    Bill
    FL

7. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A quick update, I now have a 2001 550 sitting on my lift in my garage waiting for the spring mud season to end here in Maine so I can get it out. My wife is now pushing for me to get a 456M GT to join the 550. :)

8. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Where in Maine are you located if you don't mind me asking?

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Congratulations! I am planning to take my 550 out for first drive of the year next week. You should consider announcing this purchase news in the 550/575 forum...

10. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    LISTEN to the wife, she is a keeper ;)

11. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mid-Coast, near Rockland

12. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was actually able to take the 550 out 6 weeks ago when the ground was frozen and the snow was gone. Now it has warmed up and raining and our dirt road is mostly mud. Will last until May when the rain lets up.