New Owner of Mondial 8 | FerrariChat

New Owner of Mondial 8

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lotusman33, Feb 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    Hi Everyone
    Thought I would introduce myself as I have bought a Mondial 8 and already been obtaining valuable knowledge from some great posts....thanks to all!
    I have owned a 85 QV coupe in black about 15 years ago and a 83 QV cabriolet in 2008 which sadly caught fire due to a failed fuel line. 😟
    I vowed never again but after 8 years I started wanting another and was shocked how values have increased so decided to go for the first edition car this time hence the Mondial 8.
    Biggest issue in the UK is corrosion so after looking at a few including a 3.2 QV all for over £25000 I decided to import from the U.S.
    I found what I wanted being a black Mondial 8 with low miles and perfect black interior, it was a California car so rust free which was great, it did receive a couple chips during the shipping which I will get sorted once I fix those electrical gremlins I remember from my previous ownership.
    Still it makes me smile every time I open the garage! 😃
    I will post some pics when I finally clean it up and get it back outside ( currently have the fuse box out for cleaning/inspection).

2. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg

Yes, post some pics, and welcome to Ferrarichat, Dave!

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Welcome Dave! Congrats on your new Mondial!
    I have seen these pics more then once of your Mondial QV Cabriolet. Those are really tragedies when it happens. Hope you were good insured still and no one got hurt! I can't say it enough to people to replace the fuel lines of old(er) cars especially the Mondial where everything is packed up in the rear.

Nice to have you here!

Now that you are here :) Care to do a trip to Italy?
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/507718-group-holiday-mondial.html

All the best,
    Tijn

4. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    #4 Lotusman33, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for the welcome, Tijn you are right about the fire and I have already found several perished hoses on my Mondial 8 which are hidden under the cotton type covering.

My Cabriolet was insured but it took a while to get paid out and an engineers report to prove it was a fuel line and not malicious!

It went up really quickly as those hoods are not fire retardant, I was devastated as it was my pride and joy and had been dealer serviced less than 1000 miles before, I believe the insurance company recovered costs from them in the end. Given the choice it would have still been with me now rather than having a pay out.

It is a good warning to all as I only just got out in time, what did surprise me was it had full fuel tanks and never exploded like the movies always show. I even told the fire brigade when they arrived and they still walked up to it saying full tanks were less hazardous the nearly empty ones due to vapour. I would have bought it back from the insurance but they gave me no option unfortunately.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    #5 Lotusman33, Feb 28, 2016
  6. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    #6 Lotusman33, Feb 28, 2016
  7. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    #7 Lotusman33, Feb 28, 2016
    I will find a couple when it was still perfect and post along with my original QV black coupe with lovely red and black leather which is quite rare I believe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    Hi Tijn
    I will look through the holiday post as looks like great fun, I was planning to do the Italian Job charity run this year though in my 1960 Downton Mini, Lol! not sure the wife would be impressed if I did two road trips in a year! ��