Hello from France | FerrariChat

Hello from France

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rupp3r, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I have been lurking at this forum from a while and I am now here.

I am from France, real cars enthusiast since ever and now trying to jump into the train of Ferrari (or Porsche tbh) cars.

I was last year looking at the Mondial T/3.2 as a first step into this train but got really frightened by some friends who warned me a lot about the reliability of Ferrari..

One year later I am decided to ask to the real knowing people who is really going on. I am in fact quite hesitating between a Mondial T/3.2 and a Porsche 964 so..

A part from that I am now having an Alfa Romeo 156 GTA which is a really nice toy but that is an another world!

Cheers

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Check the Mondial forum, have a PPI done on the car before purchase.
    That model is a bit older do less stuff to go wrong, a well sorted example that has been maintained will keep you happy.

3. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Welcome to F-Chat, Rupp!

4. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

Thanks for the welcome.
    The more I am reading about these models the more I think they are quite reliable.. excepted regarding the transmission! So just trying to figure out it this particular point is a too high risk!

Cheers

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #5 Alden, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Welcome to Ferrari Chat!

I don't understand where you got that information.

Mondial transmissions have a great reputation for reliability/durability.

Cold 2nd gear shifts can be stiff on a lot of Ferrari transmissions, and the Mondial is no exception, but 5-10 minutes into the drive, they are very smooth. Most of us go from 1st to 3rd until the assembly is warm, then 2nd is easy.

Ferrari's are like racehorses: You have to warm them up before you run them hard.

Also, a well sorted Ferrari can be very reliable. It is ones that do not have proper maintenance performed/deferred or sit undriven for extended periods of time that can be problematic. And, if you do need to do repairs, Ferrari parts can be 10-20 times the cost of parts for other cars.

Parts prices can vary from vendor to vendor as well. Example: I needed a part recently and found it could cost from $15-$150 depending on who was selling it. But you can also do it yourself on the older, analog models and save some money.

BTW, I am in Paris right now on a 10 day visit!
    Alden

6. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

Sorry for the late reply, I hope you are enjoying Paris, there is a nice weather here currently!

I am aware of the hard 2nd gear on Ferrari this is not a problem for me. I am also doing 1st/3rd on my Alfa during the first minutes when cold.

I have discovered about the loosening ring nuts that are the cause of a lot of Mondial T/348 transmission failure. I have discussed about this on my thread in the Mondial T forum, with some people here in PM and also some friends former Ferrari owner and I sadly have the feeling this is real. :(

When looking at all the classified I have seen, I haven't seen one car with more than 70k miles without a rebuild gearbox.