Hello from Atlanta | FerrariChat

Hello from Atlanta

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by steved033, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Hi!

I'm Steve, currently in the Atlanta area. I've owned all sorts of cars over the years, many of them bought in boxes and restored. I don't really have a marque I'm dedicated to, Ferrari ownership has been a dream (I think 355's are just stunning, especially in darker blue), and as completion nears on the GTX I have, funds will clear for the next thing. I don't think i want a perfect car, I enjoy working on them as much, if not more than the actual driving. I'm not really into sports. I'm into cars.

Sampling of the past/present:
    2006 jeep wrangler unlimited *
    2016 fiesta ST (commuter car) *
    1971 Plymouth GTX *
    1957 austin healey
    1967 porsche 912
    mgbs
    subarus
    Datsun 240z
    Datsun Roadster *

*current stable

I'm looking forward to learning more while things fall into place with my house/garage.

All the best,

Steve

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Welcome to F chat, a 355 is a very affordable car right now.
    Especially if you DIY on the maintenance.

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Thanks! I'm definitely a DIY guy on the maintenance. everything i've read about maintenance just happens at more frequent and just as expensive intervals as restoring an old muscle car, and hunting the NLA parts isn't much different. Lower rocker moldings, 1 year only, GTX only (2200 made), are $1500 a pair in terrible shape.

a 355 or 360 in TDF blue with a 6-speed would be perfect.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    360 manual if you are looking for "old musclecar" type of maintenance. Both will require the occasional dealer trip for Leonardo diagnosis, but there's almost no reason to remove the motor from a 360 (save catastrophic failure), the 355 will need removed every 3 years. There is still a learning curve and several little idiosyncrasies to learn..but that's what this site is for.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    haha, because 355 is more like "old british car" type of maintenance? Engine out isn't scary. We will see. Lots of learning to do in the meantime, have to finish the house i'm working on, and sell, then find the next place with a shop and lift. The datsun roadster project needs the body to come off so I can fabricate the frame for the miata subframes to bolt up to.

sjd

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    `

That isn't the scary part, it's that bill every 3 years for those of us without lifts in our garage

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yeah, I'd much rather remove a seat than an engine, but to each their own I guess.

8. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Welcome, I live in Cumming and have a 360. Lots of good info here.