Missing Front Plate Ticket | FerrariChat

Missing Front Plate Ticket

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by rocketman, Sep 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Anyone know the fine for a missing front license plate ?

Also do you have to make a court appearance or can you just send it in with a plea ?

Ticket has no clear cut instructions.

Thanks

2. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    4 years ago, it was $90 and no points. Administrative summons. Paid it with a check in the mail.

3. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Also there is no mention of the amount of the fine on the ticket.

Do you just send it in with a "guilty" or "not guilty" plea and wait for a return notice with the fine ??

4. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I had a whole dialogue with the officer. The ticket was fully documented.

Call the issuing department. Somewhere they have that summons in the computer. Better to pay than have a bench warrant show up 18 months from now and your car gets impounded and you spend 1 hour at the station instead of having dinner out.

5. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I just went through this in NY. The fine with the surcharges is $130. I went on the DMV site and entered the ticket number. When it wasn't in the system, they offer to notify you when it is. I then went back on and paid it.

Joe

6. cborgrx

cborgrx Karting

Aug 16, 2005
    huntington, n.y
    Full Name:
    chris borg
    #6 cborgrx, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know a lot of the guys have this attitude about front plates "no way am I putting a plate on'" , "no way am I drilling" blah blah blah. Well I don't like to throw money away on missing plate tickets, I would rather throw it away on the overpriced rides that we all enjoy so here is what I have done to avoid a missing front plate pull over....starting with my lambo and now on my ferrari, I took the front plate to the local printer who copies it at full size and correct color on heavy stock...then I use double stick automotive grade tape to stick it on the front bumper....no worries, no plate, no ticket. Here is the lambo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    That'll work until someone notices that it is a "forged" plate. The NY plate has a holographic marking in the center to verify it is not fake. So now when you go through one of those registration check points if they are looking you get hit for no front plate along with a forged plate. This will get the car impounded and you arrested. Not a big deal unless you need to be somewhere else. I also believe you have to show the court that you fixed the issue. I just drilled 2 holes.

8. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I dont have a front plate on my 599, and didnt have it on my Granturismo. I was told by a cop friend to keep the plate with me, and just say there is no place to put it in the front, and the parts are on order from Italy.

Thankfully I have never been pulled over, but im ready if they pull me over for that.
    Ankur

9. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I used that once when I was stopped entering the BB tunnel on the NYC side. Once I showed the Officer the plate (had it leaning between the passenger seat and console) and told him the clips were on order, he let me go.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Ditto. I keep the plate behind the driver seat and can pull it out if ever asked.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  12. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I was pulled over in my F430 on the Verrazanno Bridge. I had my plate in the front window. I told him that I was waiting for a bracket. He wanted to see my registration. He looked at it and said it had been registered for four months and I should have the bracket. He also said that it being on the dash was unacceptable and gave me a second ticket for having a clear plastic cover over my rear plate. Nice guy!!

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    jeez

14. mattym

mattym Rookie

Sep 2, 2011
    Just got my first ticket on the weekend in Vancouver... going to use 3M tape.

15. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My front plate is in my trunk, still in the plastic bag from DMV. No front plate for 13 years so far, no problems yet (knock on wood!).

I guess that I should take it out, smack it around a little and put some scrapes on it so that it sounds credible if I say that it fell off and I'm waiting for a new bracket!

16. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I parked my Porsche on a street in Westchester, NY and got a ticket for no front license plate. It was a 75. ticket. I did have the front plate hidden inside the car, but no opportunity to show parking meter maid.

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
  18. trialman1

trialman1 Karting

Oct 18, 2008
    new york
    Full Name:
    steven
    I dont know the maker but FOLI sells a bracket that folds under the front bumper when not on the road and pulled out when it is. Not a lot of money installed. IMO its worth it.

19. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Hi Barry!

How have they been working out on your 308/550? I've been selling my Plate Clips to many guys in NY state this past year. I'm getting feedback every week that cities are clamping down on no front plates because they want the $$!! Even while parked they are ticketing - Jeeze!

Bob

20. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I have this unit and it works very well....However, I don't always keep it on so just have to remember to put it back on !

21. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    This past Sunday morning I was pulled over for no front plate. It was on a side street near my house. The police officer gave me a ticket for not having my insurance card in the car.

I was less than a mile from my house and offered to have him follow me home and I would show him the insurance card. He refused and gave me the ticket. He told me it was a nice car but he had to give me some kind of ticket. He let me go on the no front plate. He said why did I not have it on the dashboard. I guess each cop has his own interpretation of what is allowable.

There is no way to put a front plate on a 365 GTC 4. If someone has something that works let me know.

Fred

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Fred, contact Bob at http://chairpilotproducts.com/

Barry

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    They're working just fine on both cars, Bob. Thank you again!

Barry

24. DL997TT

DL997TT Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Daniel Leung
    how mcuh is the tiacket for not having the insurance card with you? I remembered my wife got a ticket for not carrying the insurance card in the car and the ticket cost is like $120- in NJ couple of years ago

DL

25. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I think its up to $180 now in NJ. "Failure to exhibit docs" ...