Something to think about | FerrariChat

Something to think about

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Labman, Jan 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 Labman, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys...I'm putting this out there a bit early so we can get our minds off of the brutal cold we are experiencing currently in NY and look forward to the warmer weather. Anyhow, last year I put together an impromptu meet at the Sag Harbor pier. For those of you that showed up, it was a pretty blustery and chilly October day. But it was pretty cool to line up the four of us, a fifth showed up later, and take a few scenic pictures of our F cars. I'm thinking of something a bit better this year. We meet at another designated place in the Hamptons (Sag Harbor, Southampton, East Hampton or Amagansett etc). Do a rally through the Hamptons like maybe out to Montauk Point or some other destination and return to my house in East Hampton for a few hot dogs, hamburgers and some beverages. My house has a pretty large driveway that can accommodate up to about 10 cars. I think it would be a fun time to exercise our cars a bit, take in some great sites, enjoy the beautiful east end of Long Island, and most of all, camaraderie. Anyone have any interest? I will bump this post from time to time to keep it active.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    i would be interested in something like this. I am down for a nice drive anytime as long as there is no snow on the road. When were you exactly thinking about? I am located in northern NJ. I have a 06 430 spyder

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I might be interested, though it is a bit far from NNJ.

Perhaps you might like to pick up the yearly ROE (Run out East) that Sam Germana use to do before he left Ferrari & went over the dark, dark side (FIAT)

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thinking about doing this in the spring. Probably in May sometime. This way it's before the summer craziness starts out on the east end.
    ROE I did a couple of years ago and I thought was such a great event. I was wondering why that stopped and now I know. As much as I would love to get involved organizing that it will be a little tough for me. I joined the FCA and am going to be helping out putting together a rally out east as well. Hopefully another fchatter can take that over and bring the ROE back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ducsc1k

ducsc1k Karting

Jun 8, 2013
    NYC
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm interested and from NNJ as well.

6. Eforg23

Eforg23 Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Forgione
    I am interested. I live in islip. Out east is not too far for me. Have a '78 308.

7. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Count me in

8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Toughest part of those of you living in NNJ is going over the GWB to the Cross Bronx expressway. Always traffic. After that it's a nice ride once your on the LIE to exit 70. I wouldn't let that bother you.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Great time to do this is Feb/March, before the east end starts to get congested. A bunch of us have done this numerous times. We usually take a trip to the light house at Montauk and look at the bunker installations from WWII, which many never even know existed. It's a fantastic drive and you get a bit of history. Breakfast at the diner in Montaulk

Of course we always take Old Montauk Hwy either going out or coming back, it's a great experience and reminds me of my childhood going out to Montauk in the summers back in the early 70s, staying with my cousin and his family at Hither Hills State Park and driving into town in a mid 60's Buick convertible (affectionately called the "uckster" as the B was missing). What a fun road; like a roller coaster. I know I can round up 6 guys.

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I like this idea. Not so keen on Feb/March though. Still cold and pretty dead out there. Traffic really doesn't build until late May, especially after Memorial Day. It would be nice also to drive with the top down for us spider owners! Old Montauk Highway is a hidden gem and a blast to drive. The scenery is unmatched as well.

11. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    ducsc1k what do you have?

12. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I live in Nassau County. A drive into the East End would be really nice in early May when the weather is nice and the crowds haven't arrived. Lobster rolls anyone?

13. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    Pretty sure I would be interested in running out there. I would be coming form S.I. though. Either way prob a nice ride. I could plan a whole day. Thanks

14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lobster rolls....what a great idea! We make a stop at the Lobster Roll in Amagansett on the way out to Montauk. Ralph Lauren has been spotted stopping here with one of his masterpieces on his way out to "THE END".

I vote for May as well.

15. Midkap

Midkap Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    I'm in Massapequa and would love to join in! Taking delivery of my 01 360 Spider Today!

PM me as things get organized!

And yes, I'll post pics of my baby when she arrives.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

That's great! Def looking forward to seeing pics and welcome to the club. Be sure to post on the 360/430 forum.
    As the time grows near, I will PM all those who expressed interest. It would be amazing if we can get 15-20 of us to do this. Everybody get your GoPro's now!

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I still did ROE long after the Mondial was gone. Last year I had to head up the FIAT Club America National Convention in July. That was a big event and took all my spare time. I might consider a ROE this year. Montauk Manor seemed to want to make it an annual event.

18. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    If the roads are dry I am taking a ride out east tomorrow. Maybe as far as south hampton. I figure salt is washed away. Supposed to be mid 40s an sunny.

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yeah, I may take out my ..ahem...Fiat.

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    And a sad day it was.

Did anyone notice there are fewer crows in the sky? :)

21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Sam Germana = Mondial, Sam Germana = ROE . . .Sam Germana = FIAT. Oh the humanity. Just kidding Sam. I love Fiats.

I still think it would be so much better on a nice day earlier in the year. I use to drive my Jaguar with the top down out to East Hampton on a nice day in March, early April. If it's 50 degrees or above it's fine, just put the heat on and the roads are so much less congested.

22. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    FIAT Owns Ferrari...just something to think about.

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm interested. Please let me know if something is organized. I also have another local friend with a 360 convertible that is not on the forums, and another friend with a 355 that is not active on the forums that may be interested as well. It sounds like fun!
    An ideal day would be a nice drive out east with a stop at a restaurant that has a parking lot that is visible from where we eat (I hate parking the car out of sight).

24. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Originally I was offering my house as a stop for a BBQ w room for 10
    cars but if we get more (and it seems that way) then it would probably be best to move to a restaurant. Lobster roll, Clam Bar or Cyril's in Amagansett are perfect since they have fairly big parking lots where we can keep an eye on our cars. And they are on the way out to Montauk. I wouldn't be opposed to an April date either as long as no rain! Bring your friends on....the more the merrier.

25. RPM217

RPM217 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2007
    Rye Brook, NY
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Sam, Happy Healthy New Year, and if you're doing it, I'm there!!!