POTHOLES!!!! | FerrariChat

POTHOLES!!!!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by L.I. Adam, Feb 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. L.I. Adam

L.I. Adam Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    east norwich, Long I
    I have been driving around long island from highways to regular roads and have never seen so many potholes...No way i would even think of taking my 360 out there..Its like a obstacle course out there. Not worth damaging a rim or tire for now..I don't think there are any repair crews out there doing pothole repairs..

2. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    So true! You should see the roads in Brooklyn and NYC they are worse....

3. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I wanted to take the 430 out today since the weather was mild but decided to wait till they repair some of these roads.

4. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Has anyone driven on the LIE? I was thinking of taking it out east to give the car some exercise. In past years I have found I relatively safe and not as pothole challenged.

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I was on LIE last Thursday and there were some potholes where the lanes meet (white lines) otherwise I was in the HOV lane and it was fine. I am confident I could drive on the LIE and not hit a pothole, if I wanted to give my car a bit of exercise.

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    it's been a rough winter. roads everywhere are hurting.

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I'm sure this won't surprise anyone, but Manhattan is also atrocious. Leave the sports cars at home until the salt subsides + they repair the roads.

8. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Drove out to West hampton from exit 34 on the LIE. HOV lane was in great condition. Beautiful 150 mile ride. 2 bucket wash upon return. Well worth it, big smiles.

9. L.I. Adam

L.I. Adam Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    east norwich, Long I
    #9 L.I. Adam, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I miss driving my car but honestly I'm loving all this snow. So gorgeous and makes it feel like winter. summer will be here before we know it.

11. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Agree 100%. If it's going to be cold and salty, it might as well be pretty and snow covered.

On the driving topic, I bought a 996 Porsche 911 last year to dip my toes into the Pcar scene. Rear wheel drive + blizzaks makes days like today an absolute joy. I feel like I'm 17 years old again taking my old Jeep Wrangler out after school. It really helps make winter downtime a lot more fun.

12. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I drive from Queens to western Suffolk county daily. LIE is generally OK. Northern Pkwy is a disaster is some area's especially in Nassau county. I have a Benz CLS 550 4M with 19" wheels and P Zero's (mistake, I know) and have two bubbles in my front driver side tire and one on my passenger side front. Already have gone through 12 tires on this damn car. Beware!!! Definitely not the time to be driving our Fcars unfortunately.
    I hate the snow. I want spring!

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    We must be lost at birth. I feel the exact same way and have been taking my dd out to relive my high school days of doing donuts in my jeep all over town!

14. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Increase your air pressure. You're pinching the tire between the asphalt and the rim. I run max inflation PSI on all my cars as to me, the difference is ride quality is entirely worth the added benefits (less tramlining, better threshold braking stability, crisper turn-in, better rim/tire protection, better fuel mileage, less tire wear)

Been running between 40 and 50PSI on all of our cars for over a decade and have never bubbled a tire or damaged a rim.

15. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    When I moved down to Miami from NYC, I almost fell asleep driving here, the roads are so smooth. You really do take advantage of a sports car here.

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Wow! Didn't know you can inflate that high. I'm at my whit's end with these tires. Have to wait until I get new tires as I can't do that now with bubbles in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Sure....rub it in. Two new snow storms on the horizon in the NY area. Shoot me.

18. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Couldn't help it. I give my friends & family still in NYC / NJ area grief this time of the year.
    C'mon down, I'll buy you a Mojito.

19. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    You an go much much higher than that. The PSI needed to get a fresh tire to "pop" onto a rim can be between 70 and 100PSI depending on a few factors. The point is not to go that high, the point is that the tires/rims can support a lot more PSI than anyone give them credit for.

Also, just go and check the sidewall of your tire. Somewhere on there it is written what the max inflation pressure for your particular tire is and I've personally never seen one under 40PSI. My father's pickup's (Dodge Ram something or other) OEM tires have a max inflation of 81PSI.

If you're damaging tires that frequently, you are clearly too low a tire pressure for your road conditions.

20. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Lol. The commute this morning was another fun one in the 911. Good times blasting through the snow drifts that the plows leave (when trying to get onto or off of the highway / main roads).

Have you ever thought about picking up a cheap set of 18" knock-off wheels or OEM take-offs from ebay to use in the winter? Might be cheaper than replacing all these 19" tires.

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Funny you say that. I found a set of OEM 18" CLS wheels on Craigslist but the guy hasn't responded to my requests for more info. Probably a scam or something. I was figuring with these wheels I would get a set snow tires and stick them on there.
    By the way...the potholes are getting even even worse with all the storms we've been having. I was on the Belt pkwy today by Flatbush avenue and it was a disaster. Cars had to actually slow down to navigate the craters in the road. Will the roads ever be safe to drive our Fcars again???? Seems a this winter will never end.

22. L.I. Adam

L.I. Adam Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    east norwich, Long I
    was driving on lie east and at exitt 44 east there were huge craters in the highway so bad they closed down the highway while repairing them tonight..Leave your F car sleeping in garage as its not worth the damage or danger of swirving these badboys!!!

23. LarryF

LarryF Karting

May 28, 2008
    Westchester totally blows everywhere. It's pothole hell. I've been driving my raptor with no worries but the heavy iron is staying put until these roads are fixed. I think the biggest issue has been these lame quickie repairs that have been done. Now that we actually have some serious NE weather, those repairs are blowing up left and right.

24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    +1. This weather in the NE sucks. It's not for humans, polar bears maybe.

25. DL997TT

DL997TT Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Daniel Leung
    I got 2 flat tires on my left side going down FDR south right after GW bridge. Both tires are gone. I was so mad....