Optimum vs. FIOS | FerrariChat

Optimum vs. FIOS

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by markcF355, Feb 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I currently have Optimum TV/INET/Voice service. The service is OK except for the DVR system. It absolutely sucks!

Is the FIOS system any better?

2. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I had Optimum for years and switched to FIOS. The picture is better and the Internet is faster. The DVR is easier to use you can record 2 shows at the same time and watch a prerecorded show. Also you only need one DVR because you have a network with your other boxes.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I worked for optimum several years back. First off, if I was able to and I'm not, I would switch back and forth between the two companies when they came for me to switch. They each offer the same service and there is almost no perceptable difference between them, so why pay anything over what the promotion is for the competitor. Every 1-2 years whichever is the length of the promotion and I would be out. I'm not an advocate for either, I just would not spend more money than I had to on cable service, ever.

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Your like me. I'm currently dealing with Basic TV service until a better package comes around *or* F1 season starts. Optimum Phone is OK. Internet is pretty darn fast though I've had issues of late where service just blinks out for 1-5 minutes.

Oh, I do HATE Optimum Customer Service.

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    FIOS is way better. I wouldn't go back to Optimum unless they really could slash the price.

6. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    FIOS :) vs. Optimum :(

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Optimum salesperson came to my door a few weeks ago on the second anniversary of us switching to Fios. She said she could save me $10 a month if I switched back. My response was that even if optimum was free I'd still rather pay for Fios every month. That seemed to really confuse her. Compared to optimum in my area Fios has far better TV quality, a router that never needs rebooting, and way faster and more reliable internet. With Optimum, never was a product more ironically named.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    I had nothing but issues with Optimum. Router issues, set top box problems, poor signal, there were times of the day where my speeds and throughput were CLEARLY lower than other times, etc.

Switched to FIOS and haven't looked back one bit. Note also that if you have movie packages, those channels On-Demand services are included which, when I was last on Optimum, they weren't ($10/month each I believe).

Like dflett ... Optimum would have to pay me monthly to switch back to them.

9. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    +1 for Fios. Best we've had for cable + internet.

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 Fios. DVR recorded programs can be watched from any set top box in the house. I don't think Optimum has this feature yet.

11. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Funny you should mention this.

This happens to me every couple of months at the WORST possible time and it drives me NUTS!

12. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I've been reading on this on the web. Seems it's a very common problem.
    I have their modem to my router to my network. I've found rebooting my Linksys router solves the issues. I've read it's due to line errors an insufficient memory and poor memory management in the Linksys router

I suspect Optimum changed some parameters and the router can't handle the errors.

13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have Optimum at work and Fios at home and as far as the internet goes there is a world of difference. The Fios is far and away better, faster and more reliable. Unfortunately Fios is not available at my office, but if it were I would change in an instant. I have to admit I have had Direct TV at home for television, so I can't comment on which TV is better.

14. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yup!

Once you unhook everything and reboot it seems to get 'er going again.

But, that's the last thing I want to do at 2:00 a.m.

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They have a virtual DVR system on their "cloud". Can you imagine the response time for that ?

Over a year ago they made system software switch preparing for this as though everyone was going get rid of their DVRs. First thing out of the box they changed everyones OPSYS on the converter box and DVRs without any warning.

The first thing I noticed was that if you were watching a program and decided to record it then it would only record from the current time forward. It would not collect everything it had stored in the 1 hour buffer. I complained at once and I guess a number of people did as well. They fixed that about a month ago.

I suspect that their virtual DVR most likely will never have this feature but I have not looked into it.

I will say this though. It never went down in the 10 days we were without power after Sandy. Neither did my telephone landline. It's great to have a generator.

I wish I could get FIOS to try that out. There are no fiber facilities in our development and everything is underground.

16. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Does anyone have the Fios multi room DVR?
    With Optimum you can no longer rewind live TV because it is not continuously recording, as with the stand alone DVR.
    Can the Fios multi DVR rewind live TV?

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Yes. I do it all the time when I miss something important.

18. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    In our temp place we have optimum. Came from fios. Optimum has to be by far the worst service I have ever had! In our new place, getting direct tv since fios does cover there.

19. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks! Just got the letter that my bill is going up by $40/month. I am tired of fighting. Going to call Verizon today.

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Doubt you'll regret it. Cable companies are the worst

21. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

This is why we stay with the DVR boxes because we like the rewind live tv function. I almost switched but my brother told me not to do it for this reason as a friend did it and regretted it.

22. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013
    FIOS IMO. Cable is not a good choice.

23. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1. Though for about a year they would only allow recording of a show from the point in time you requested it even if it was in the set top box's buffer. They've fixed that now but I wish I could get something besides cable.

Our complex is wired with cable and getting fiber into every house would be a SOB as far as I can see.

I need to move ...