Nice weather Saturday in the east! | FerrariChat

Nice weather Saturday in the east!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by spourreza, Feb 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    May be the only day to take car out through mid march. 55 degrees and sunny! Rain today washing remaining salt. Still too risky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Heck no!

3. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Thought same, but way too many potholes on roads near me.

4. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Exactly. It's tempting - even thought about doing a C&C this weekend - but it's not worth the risk.

5. L.I. Adam

L.I. Adam Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    east norwich, Long I
    one word...POTHOLES...

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Potholes are just a great excuse to test the dexterity of your car's steering!

I'm hearing there's a C&C in Yorktown Sunday Morning.

7. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Going to risk it. plus it will give me opportunity to exercise my cat like reflexes. seriously, I think this will be the only opportunity until late march. Tempts dropping again

8. C Alexander

C Alexander Karting

May 9, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mr. H
    Def not worth it. So many potholes around the NY/NJ area, you try to avoid one pothole and end up hitting another...

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Don't you NJ guys have any snow still off on the sides of the roads? I was out on LI today visiting and starting my cars, there is still a bunch of snow which will be melting and creating rivers of salt and sand. Unfortunately for me my cars are locked inside.

Next nice day I bring the Boxer in for all suspension bushing to be replaced, all bits replated and a updated alignment.

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1

Whatever you do don't drive at night, during dusk or in the rain.

Last night a MF pot hole took out both LH wheels and tires on my Jag.

Tomorrow it's rent car time for me.

Car got scraped front and rear getting on and off the flat bed too!

There are still tons of piled up snow hazards ( like sudden lane narrowing or complete loss!) and salt in a lot of places.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Potholes, potholes, potholes. They are everywhere. Even on the side roads. I'm really hoping the highway department can take care of all of them. I really worried about the condition of the roads this coming year. Even when they "fix" potholes they still can be hazardous.
    Like the OP I am also dying to take my Fcar out for a spin. But with the condition of the roads and the snow melting and creating puddles of wet, muddy, salt laden streams, I'm going to wait a while unfortunately. This is horrible :(

12. L.I. Adam

L.I. Adam Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    east norwich, Long I
    was driving west on lie from hicksville area and they have moving pot hole crews working the problem but they arent doing permanent hot patches, they are just thowing in asphalt in holes, tamping and rolling in some cases..Patch work as usual with our tax dollars here on long island..you cant even change lanes on LIE as there are holes everywhere..Worst I have ever seen in years..roads will be crap for a long time...drive at your own risk!!!

I even saw crews working locally here in Oyster bay with loose asphalt, raking in and tamping..all patch work...

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #13 ClydeM, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    I couldn't resist. I took the 308 for a bunch of errands. It was nice! I'll have to rinse her flanks off later.

Lots of water around, but the potholes were only terrible by my house.
    If you do go out, exercise caution. Some of those monster SUV drivers are worried their car might get dirty (ier) or it might disappear into a pothole.

14. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    drove it first time since I purchased last week. Roads are fine. No salt from rain a few ago. May try again Sunday before snow is back next week

15. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    I had my spider out all day in the city - lovely day! Little cruise- Soho lunch - perfect!

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Gave in myself. Took the 430 out for a quick spin. Too nice not to. Damn melting snow though. Had to do a thorough cleaning when I got back.

17. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    Didn't take spider out... Thank god. Blew 2 front tires on my BMW 650 Grand Coupe on rt4 Paramus. Good thing I bought the tire insurance. That's 4 tires in 3 weeks

18. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    took out Sunday. Actually did hit a pothole in each front tire but small ones. No change in PSI so all good. I would assume if something happened (i.e. bent rim), the PSI on the tire would be off. it was nice out so couldn't resist. now car back asleep for a couple of weeks

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm buying a second space saver spare today hopefully, so my jag gets the rims fixed and new tires by the end of the week as I can't really drive it with those silly things on it.

I'll have the first Jag with dual side mounts! LOL

I went though Paramus on rt4 friday unscathed but that pot hole on River road in Edgewater was horrendous, unmarked and impossible to see at night when its raining.

It's still not fixed and still unmarked too.

What a crazy winter for potholes.

My road hazard coverage only cover the tires not installation how about yours?

20. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    IIRC, several years ago there was a website in NYC that tallied up potholes and whether a formal complaint had been filed (or they filed one) with the city. The idea was that the city would be liable for any damage to cars from potholes that had been reported and not fixed within some period of time. If you ruined a tire or a wheel from hitting a pothole, you could look up whether the city knew about it and file for recovery of your loss.

Is there anything like that going on currently anywhere?

21. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Was driving an FF around all weekend in NJ/NYC.

A lot of bobbing and weaving!

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I had my 308 out most of the day yesterday! Salt, snow, and potholes be damned!!!

23. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    I had my MOndial out Sunday afternoon, no pothole injuries to it (although daily driver is another story), but I did drag some debris along for a bit that two "normal" car straddled just fine. Funny part is it popped out from under the car, just as I was passing someone in a Black 458 Spider also getting his car out (Allendale Ave in Saddle River, if you are are here). I'm sure he thought it was another old Ferrari losing parts.

24. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    I saw a Jag pulled over THursday night on Franklin Avenue, which I noticed as it was about a block away from where a nice deep pothole took out my right front tire on my daughter's GTI. Fortunately we bought time and wheel warranty which covered Tire and full installation.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not me.

The biggest source of contention that night with 911 was which town I was in. One side of the road is in Bergen country the other is in Hudson country. The GD F'ing police station was less than 100 yards away and there was a SUV police vehicle on the other side of the road about 100 ft away looking for speeders. I can't tell you how many busses missed by inches as I stood there waving everyone over one lane. I went over waved for help to control traffic which was heavy and quite dangerous but all I got was a big F you because I was on the other side of the road and it technically wasn't their jurisdiction. So 20 minutes later after yelling at that towns police dispatcher and the 911 operator the correct officers showed up and were very helpful. They fully understood why I was pissed. They also got me a tow and stayed until we left.

I guess if there had been a huge wreck and I was killed THAT other towns police would have just sat there as well?

If you see an emergency aren't you supposed to step in and help and then when specifically called they still refused. What ever became of "To Serve and Protect".

What Aholes.