Time for a 355 Major | FerrariChat

Time for a 355 Major

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ClydeM, Mar 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I knew the car was about due for a major.
    And there's been a few issues I just wanted addressed.
    So I finally decideded to take her to Will DeGroot at Exotic Cars in Frenchtown. I've known Will for a while and it was time I see just how good his shop is. Actually, there is little doubt once you've seen his 308 & his hand-built Maser.

She needed a major, and FoLI found a few things at their latest vintage car service day.

Will and I agreed upon a price for the standard major that was very competitive. And as every Ferrari owner knows, there's always "While you are in there" stuff to be done.
    And mine was no exception.

I decided to pop down & see Will & how the car was doing.
    Her engine was out, valves exposed, and the belts were being swapped, and they found
    1) The left cooling fan was not performing up to par
    2) ABS connector had corrosion
    3) bolts were missing from the right exhaust manifold and that was probably the noises I was hearing. Unfortunate that a smoke test didn't show anything last Spring.
    4) The alternator belt tensioner pulley was wobbling. That was a disaster waiting to happen
    5) The handbrake cable was put on cross-threaded & broke coming off.
    6) And a number of bolts were missing. Like a large bolt to hold the rear subframe to the main frame.

Will and the mechanic working on my car, Bob, took their time and showed me everything. We chatted about my options: Fix it now or yank the engine later when possibly serious issues develop. Ok, no-brainer.

Spring is fast approaching - so I'm looking forward to getting her back.

BTW: Some of the eye candy in his shop is heart-stopping. This is my 2nd trip there where I forgot the camera.
    And if visit him near lunch, he'll show you the Frenchtown café. This place is worth the ride to visit all by itself. Wow.

2. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    +1 I try to catch up with the Pcar guys there once a month or so for an early Sunday breakfast.

Good to hear your 355 is in capable hands. It's been fun reading your posts about making the jump into a newer car with more electronics.

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    He told me today he's expanding into Porsche too. I understand he's hired quite a capable Porsche mechanic.

4. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Will is a great guy. My car has scene him a couple times