ny auto show preview | FerrariChat

ny auto show preview

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 95spiderman, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #1 95spiderman, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good show. In love with z06. Alfa 4c better than expected. Its a reasonable car. Nismo gtr was disappointing. wish the jag suv would be available when I need a new one in oct but reps said 2016. too bad, its very pretty. Porsche 918 amazing looking in the flesh but seats not adjustable and very uncomfortable for me. Would prefer a 458 spider despite 918 adv tech. More fotos to come
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    Z06 roadster and Alfa 4c are the only reasons I'm going. Did Lamborghini show up this year?

3. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Manhattan Motorcars brought an LP700 Roadster, but that's it. No McLaren either this year. Manhattan Motorcars also brought something else that's worth the trip alone!!

I'm still editing my footage...hope to share pics and video tomorrow. I think this is the best NY Auto Show in years.

4. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    Excellent show this year.... Enjoyed the alpha 4c and the aston db9 carbon edition...

5. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Photos look decent but I have not been in several years. Can't really see the worth in going over there dealing with crowds of non-car people looking for a day out of their homes. Many times the nice cars here wind out at the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance.

6. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    Thanks!

7. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    Lots of stuff this year! No Huracan!

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    nice pug, btw. looks exactly like our 14 yr old did as a pup

notable no shows were ferrari, maclaren, lambo. no excuse for that, imo. huracan definitely should have been there. what does it say to macca dealers when there is no 650 or p1?

of the cars there, i alfa was biggest positive surprise. its much more practical than my lotus. not so hard to get in and out of like exige is. interior seems like will fall apart in few yrs though. parking brake handle felt like i could pull it right out of car. as long as its around 2000 lbs and $60k it will be a hit. unfortunately, the rep had no idea of who will be selling or servicing it but said should be on roads this summer. hmmm

918 was amazing in person. i thought it would look like a 360 from fotos but its spectacular. unfortunately, the fixed seats were very uncomfortable for me. im 5'9'' and 165 lbs. anyone around my size interested in one better drive it first. targa is beautiful btw. no one at porsche wanted to hear a thing about gt3

as a gtr owner and avid track driver the nismo should make me drool but i found it of little interest. 50% more $ and i doubt i could tell difference since i cant reach the limits of the base gtr. doubt the reviews or lap times will be that great. time for the r36.

z06 is the real deal. all the aero stuff looks bit busy/pimped out but maybe getting everything painted one color would help. the z28 looked good in this regard. i drove a base vette on track last month and it was great other than lack power (compared to gtr). this will take care of that. viper looked good too in matte grey. rep said its back up on line but dont see why it gets no love. media complains modern cars too digital feeling and this is as analog as it gets. and dont get why they never show the track edition that did well in a MT review?

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It makes absolutely no sense for them to be there. 99.9% of the people attending can't afford their cars. The cost to be there is astronomical, everything has to be done by the Unions. They can do things cheaper, reach the same press and customers doing offsite private events in Manhattan.

10. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Lamborghini did a private Huracan event last month and there are pictures floating around of a few Speciales during some private events in NYC as well.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    99.9 % of any car show audience cannot afford the supercars and that includes Geneva. at least RR and Bentley showed up to ny. if a company can start their cars at $300k, they can afford to put them in a car show.

btw Maserati had a big display that was open to everyone without ropes. unfortunately, it had very poor attendance. I don't think the qp or ghibli have the looks to be be successful

12. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    New York is the financial capital of the world. They need to be there.

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Really like the 911 Targa.

14. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the preview, my son and I go every year on Easter morning. There are very small crowds and getting there is a breeze. Looking forward to it.

15. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

I disagree. Anyone who is going to buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari isn't going to do so because of seeing it at an overcrowded over hyped show. Not worth the money to have a car set up which costs a fortune. That show is great for Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi buyers and well worth for those companies to have cars set up.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its not to sell cars. its that they look cheap when they don't. its image

17. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Yes, it makes them look "cheap" to non-buyers that dropped $15 to get in plus parking, etc. Also, it is disappointing to little kids that expect to see an exotic car in person when they go to a huge show that has no such cars. But real buyers buy from private events or site unseen. In fact I saw a news clip of Lamborghini's president saying they sold out all 2014 Huracan cars already.

18. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Oddly enough, Lamborghini brought a Huracan for a press event but didn't bring it to the show.

Perhaps for the public days, which started today they'll have one on hand.

19. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Spoke to an Alfa rep and they said it will be sold out of Fiat/Maserati dealers.

20. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
  21. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    I always felt is was a sort of "World's Fair" for cars. They should be there. The Countach was
    shown in it's day, and that was when they were strapped for cash.

22. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Fiat and vw have nearly endless capital. Ferrari and Lambo not showing isn't because of the cost.