Most Scenic Drive From North Jersey To The Hamptons | FerrariChat

Most Scenic Drive From North Jersey To The Hamptons

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ferraristyle1, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Will be heading out to the Hamptons for my first time in June. Wondering what the best route to take is as far as scenery from North Jersey.

Is the "Sunrise Highway" a good alternative?

Any help and suggestions would be great.

2. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

I'd like to know the same thing. I drive to LI semi-regularly, and aside from the Palisades Parkway, not much of the drive is scenic.

3. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Maybe take the Tappan Zee Bridge to 287 to the Merritt Parkway to Route 8 to the Port Jefferson Ferry in Bridgeport, CT. Then when you get to the Port Jefferson side, take 25A to the William Floyd Parkway down to NY27. Sounds circuitous but maybe it'll be more "scenic" if you have some time.

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Can't speak for Jersey but if "scenery" on Long Island is what you are seeking, I would suggest taking the Northern State Parkway over the Sunrise Highway. It is generally pretty green with scenery while the SRH at its western portion IIRC goes past a lot of shopping centers and strip malls and there are a fair number of traffic lights.

With the NSP, you eventually transfer over to the LIE via the Sagtikos Parkway and from the LIE you take Exit 70 (Manorville) to Rt 27 East, which is the eastern end of the SRH. Depending how far into the Hamptons you are traveling, Rt 27 gets some horrendous stop and go traffic and there are some alternate routes that you can take along the back roads (e.g. Scuttlehole Road, etc.) but even they have become crowded since Dylan Lauren (I think) published those routes in the newspapers a few years ago. While that route is no longer as fast as it was when it was a little known local secret, at least it takes you past some pretty countryside if you are looking for a change of view from the Southampton/Watermill/Bridgehampton/East Hampton commercial routes along Rt 27. You may still want to stay on 27 since it is your first trip. Stop at Bobby Van's in Bridgehampton for a refreshing drink if you are headed for points further east, like East Hampton, Amagansett or Montauk.

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    MVDESQ's route sounds great, but if you want to avoid the ferry, and are willing to put up with 95, the Throghs Neck Bridge and the Clearview:

Northern State to the Meadowbrook, to Ocean Prkwy, head towards Robert Moses State Park by crossing the bridge to your right for great views, do the roundabout, cross the bridge in the other direction, continue over the Robert Moses Bridge, take the Sagtikos to 25A east, to William Floyd Prkwy, to 27 east.

6. ferraristyle1

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Liking this route, I'm maping it now.

How does this sound?

Tappan Zee/287 to route 1S
    Route 1 S to Shore Road
    Shore Road to 95/695/295 accrossed the Thogs Neck Bridge
    Thogs Neck Bridge to 25A
    25A to 25 (near Calverton Executive Airport)
    25 to 27

Says about a 180 mile drive.

How is the traffic/roadway on 25A?

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Taste is personal, but there isn't all that much to see on 1S where you're picking it up.

For me, 25A gets pretty east of Glen Cove Rd, gets fun after 107. From Clearview to Glen Cove Rd, 25A can be packed -- especially during school drop off and pick up times as well as both rush hours (8AM to 6PM)

I hope this helps, ferraristyle1.

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1 only I took the ferry on the way back. Anything to avoid going near NYC roads.
    Especially after this winter.

9. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    There is no "scenic route" through NYC or though much of Nassau County. It's just crummy roads and lots of traffic. Generally, there is more heavy truck traffic on the roads called "Expressways" than the "Parkways". But not always.

From northern New Jersey, your choices across the Hudson River are mainly the George Washington Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel. Pick your poison.

The GWB / Cross Bronx Expressway / Throgs Neck Bridge is probably the fastest way across the city.

The Lincoln Tunnel / cross town streets / Queens Midtown Tunnel is through the Belly of the Beast. But for NYC that might be considered "scenic".

There are other options. None of them good and all of them will get you stuck in traffic somewhere. For example you could cut across Staten Island, the Verrazano Bridge, the Belt Parkway, then the Southern State Parkway.

Once you get into Nassau County you'll be better traffic-wise. Scuderia gave you good advice. You might take either the Northern or Southern State Parkway. Avoid the Long Island Expressway if you can. Out east Sunrise Highway is a good road.

10. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Are you looking to make some stops on the way? High Line, old World's Fair grounds, Coney Island, . . .

11. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    While that is generally true, I would avoid the Cross Bronx Expressway in either direction at all costs any time of day or night. It is nearly always a traffic nightmare and much closer to "always" than "nearly".

12. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    If I'm heading out to LI, it's usually not for the scenic route. I want it as painless as possible. I like to travel off-hours as traffic is usually brutal.
    I take 80W to GWB to CrossBronx to CrossIsland to LIE to 25A.

Going crosstown via the Lincoln Tunnel/MidTown tunnel is a crap shoot. Sometimes is nice, sometimes its a horror. In summer, you never know where roads will be shut down for street fairs & such.

Though I will admit, it doesn't get much better than buzzing Times Square in a Ferrari as long as traffic is moving.

13. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Coming from NJ to LI, the best route is Goethals Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing to Staten Island, then over the Verrazano Bridge to the Belt Parkway. From the Belt, get onto the Southern State Parkway east to Sunrise Highway which leads directly to the Hamptons.

Done this route a million times, and it is the fastest and most scenic.

Going through Manhattan or over the GW Bridge may look more direct, but the traffic can be a nightmare and the roads are literally crumbling.

14. ferraristyle1

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Going to take this route. Looks like it may discount some of the traffic and make the best out of the worse roads.

15. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Traffic is a blessing on the Cross Bronx because you won't be as startled when you run over a pothole the size of a semi.

16. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Now that is a silver lining that I hadn't thought of! ;)

17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    If you like and have the time, you can take the short detour to Ocean Pkwy by taking the Meadowbrook Pkwy for a few miles, getting back on the Southern State by Robert Moses Pkwy. Nice road, usually quieter than the SS and you get to go over the two bridges I mentioned in my first reply. (Ocean currently has a lot of dips because of Sandy damages. The upside is the dunes haven't been 100% restored so you see more of the Atlantic.)

Either way, enjoy!

18. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    THIs is the best route by far!

19. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #19 YELO T, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you take the Verrazano Bridge, bear left at the toll plaza and get on the upper level for a nice view of lower Manhattan.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    +1. You may feel the urge to test the top speed of your car on ocean parkway though. Dead straight for 11+ miles and often empty.

21. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    That's a good option. No big trucks on the Belt Parkway so the road is not in such bad shape as some of the others. Possible heavy traffic around JFK airport. Nutty drivers in Brooklyn. Other than that it should be smooth.

22. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #22 MK1044, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    There is something wrong with that photo. I'm not sure exactly what. I don't think it's the view from the VZ Bridge. I think it's some kind of composite of a few different views. Maybe the foreground, the middle ground and the background are at least three different shots. The NYC skyline doesn't look right either.

23. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    That's only a good route if you are coming from south or central NJ.

Be warned, between this winter and the construction in progress over the entire lenght of the SI "expressway", unless you can fly over it or have alot of time and spare wheels, avoid the SI expressway.