Can anyone recommend a North NJ shop for Porsche PPI & service? | FerrariChat

Can anyone recommend a North NJ shop for Porsche PPI & service?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by peterp, Jun 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I am going to buy a used 996 (needs to be Tiptronic for my wife :() and I would like to find a shop for PPI and service in North NJ. We had a 996 a long time ago and dealer service wasn't bad. Am I correct in assuming that an independent would be better now that the cars are getting older?

2. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Have you checked the car's IMS bearing history? 996 cars can be scary from what I've read when I considered one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm just starting to look for a car now, so I don't have a particular one in mind yet. I am aware of, and concerned about, the IMS issue. There is an supposed to be an upgraded bearing that can prevent this problem, so I may upgrade proactively to sleep better or maybe some of the cars on the market will already have the upgrade installed. This is part of why I'm looking for a good independent who really knows these car for both a PPI and to maintain it. Would love to hear more about anyone's experience with IMS failures and with the upgraded bearing that is supposed to prevent it.

The 996 I owned many years ago was a 2001 C4 and I had zero issues with it of any kind, just regular dealer service.

4. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I've used PowerTech in Rockaway, NJ to service my 911 for years.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Len, I will check them out.

6. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    Agreed been going to Powertech for 20 years Rockaway NJ

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sounds like I can't go wrong with them. I'm going to try to stop by there early next week to discuss PPI's and get some guidance on the IMS issue. Maybe they know of some good cars for sale.

8. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    If it is at all possible in the budget, try to get a 997. A much better car and in the long run will cost you less. The 996 is not the best Porsche ever made, to put it mildly.

Cheers,

Ron

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #9 peterp, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    I probably can't justify a 997 for what will be an occasional use car. The 997's are improved in many ways, but they are also prone to the IMS failure. Porsche didn't solve the IMS problem until 2009 when I think they eliminated the bearing altogether.

German cars are great in many ways, but there seems to be a tendency to ignore serious problems for a long time (Porsche with IMS, Audi with carbon buildup and ring wear). A friend of mine had a brand new 997 that had to have the engine replaced and he also had the same thing happen with an M3. Italian cars are quirky, but the engines are near bulletproof in my experience.

I wonder if it's possible to get an extended warranty on a used car to cover IMS failure? I'm going to see what PowerTech in Rockaway has to say. I don't want to be constantly worrying about it. My wife loved our old 996, which is why I want to get another. Personally, I didn't like the 996 that much because the Tiptronic took the fun out of it, but she loved it so much that I want to get one.

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    What year, style & dollars are you thinking? DD for your wife... sounds like a C4 or C2 coupe, maybe a cabriolet. Imo regardless of either of them it's gonna be a crap shoot relative to impending issues. Just try to buy from a reputable seller and do ppi. I loved my Porsches , greatest cars I've ever had ('01 C4, '97, '04. '11 turbo). I used Rennwerkes (Cheech) in Elmsford NY, not far from North NJ, super knowledgeable, fair and capable.
    Good luck.

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It won't quite be DD, but is for wife and comfort is everything. The requirements are: Coupe, non-sport model (17" wheels), Tiptronic, not flashy color (red, black, yellow are out), pretty low mileage.

I'm on the fence with C2 vs C4. Our original one was C4 and she did some light winter use with winter tires. I like all wheel drive for that reason, but, C4 combined with Tiptronic made it feel heavy, so part of me is inclined to do C2. I guess that leaves me 50/50 whether it is C2 or C4.

Year, probably 2000 to 2001 based upon price and our old C4 was 2001. Or 2002 which has the 3.6 engine.

Rennwerkes is about 45 minutes from me, so a little far but still doable.

12. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    Powertech does have connections for buying used Porsches. I sold my 2005 turbo S Cab through them. AS for the IMS failure there is a fix that they can do but it is expensive but peace of mind is a good thing. They have worked on some IMS failures they will help you. Just mention my name Arnie I hang out there.