Car storage in NYC? | FerrariChat

Car storage in NYC?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Kayvan, Jun 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    Anyone park a F or exotic in NYC garage?

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    where in nyc?

3. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    Manhattan in general

4. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    If you park in NYC, your car will get damaged - it's as simple as that. All three cars that I've had in NYC have been damaged in different garages - and I have a number of friends who have similar experiences.

- A garage attendant caused $43.5k worth of damage to my 360 in a minor fender bender at a garage on 40th and 2nd.
    - My M3's front and rear bumper, both doors, and eventually, the right front fender were all nicked on different occasions at a garage on 3rd between 33rd and 34th.
    - I just forced my current garage to repaint my rear bumper due to the numerous dings + scratches that they caused (75th and 2nd).

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 msdesignltd, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Yes, What it comes down to is the car is safer parking on the street as the garage attendants use the bumping system to know when to stop...

You could find a garage you like, scout out a spot inside , speak to manager and add 200 greenbacks/ month and you'll stand a chance

I live on UES...I see this go on all the time, but the monthly b4 the tip is 1 grand.

Hey Kenny Whats up...hows the Baby...no, not the car the real one!

6. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    Kenny,

Guess not much has not changed...

I moved from NYC / SoHo to LA 18 mo's ago.

I had cars in NYC garages for 22yrs and my experience was similar:

-85 BMW M6: Caustic pipe drips on paint & leather; front grill & body damaged; nicks 360 degrees around car

-1960s Roadster: at an elite "classic car garage in tri-state area" nicks after six-figure restoration; scratches after "complimentary wash"; hood damaged and repainted without my knowledge. Restorer told me.

-2 month old 2012 Vette: Cooking grease tank (from restaurant above) explodes, sprays body side and ruining $275 cover. Didnt get on glass, seals, etc. thank god.

Currently in my own private, alarmed, motion sensor, heated & a/c. epoxy floor, with tool bench, 4 bay garage in LA!

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Sad to hear, but true. I've heard of a couple of occasions that a healthy reoccurring tip may allow you to self park in some garages.

Note that many garages don't take exotics - and/or if they do, they charge a ~3x the average rate. Before finding the garage that eventually crashed my 360, I was quoted $1,100-1,500/m. That garage charged me $340. I got what I paid for, apparently.

Life is good! The little lady is happy, healthy, and adorable. You'll have to meet her soon. And you? What're you driving these days?

The #1 reason I'd consider moving to the suburbs is the ability to have my own [multi-car] garage. Sounds amazing!

And, I'm sorry to hear about your cars. I can definitely sympathize.

8. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013
    sorry to hear that man. It is unfortunate. If you live in NYC, exotics take a beating. Garages, Roads Etc.

9. RPM217

RPM217 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2007
    Rye Brook, NY
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Kayvan, are you moving back to the "right coast"? Have you been through all the starlets already???

10. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    ...and a minivan!

The trick is finding a garage with lockup spots. U drive in, U drive out. U park it and put a cover on it. U put a plastic protective shield OVER the cover to prevent drip damage,

Life is good.

Even if the clutch is annoyed getting out of a sub-basement.

11. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    The trick is to find a new building, that opened up the garage before all the apartments are sold/rented. That is the best time to get a fixed spot at a premium. Once a garage is fully occupied, its gets a lot more difficult.

12. DefactoM6

DefactoM6 Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    Have you ever considered parking it outside of the city? There's a place in Bedford Hills called the Collectors Car Garage that only stores Classics and Exotics, it's secure, climate controlled, white glove service, etc. It's less than an hour ride from midtown, right next to the train station. Tons of Fcars there. It's way safer/better for the car, and cheaper than NYC, plus you have roads you can actually enjoy a Fcar on.

Full disclosure...I do have a personal connection to the place.

13. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I drive to New York on many weekends and we have only driven my wife's SUV - and mostly park on the streets - Murray Hill. I would love to drive my F car or Porsche, but based on personal experience and what I read on the boards, it is almost a guarantee that car will be damaged in a garage. Also, often find some minor damage to my wife's car when parked on the street - plus there is also the chance - much more likely further downtown - of vandalism.

Really a shame, as years ago when we lived f/t in NY, no real issue with parking in garage and for the most part, safe on the streets (Gramercy Park), except for my original Mini Cooper S, bumper too low and any touching of front was a dent in radiator or bonnet.

Rob in Potomac

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Taking into account depreciation, maintenance, insurance, opportunity cost, parking, and misc. time spent caring for unforeseen BS, it'd be more cost effective for me to simply rent a car from Gotham Dream Cars (or the Classic Car Club) than to have a car sitting in a storage facility in the suburbs. I can't imagine that I have more than 1-2 days a month that I'd be able to jump in my SUV, drive to the suburbs, pick up my sports car, go for a drive, drop off the sports car, get back into the SUV and then head back to the city. Especially now that we have a three month old. Once you strip away the winter, maybe I drive the car 15-20 days a year? 1,000 miles? Sad, but true (for me at least).

With all of this said, I like guys at Collector Car Garage - and see the value. Just, for me, having a car outside of the city is more trouble than it's worth.

15. DefactoM6

DefactoM6 Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    I totally hear what you are saying...it's why places like CCC can make a lot of sense for many guys in the city...if I didn't feel a compulsive need to tie up lots of my own capital in costly, depreciating assets just to call them "mine,' I would've done that in a heartbeat. I had two friends who made that jump; both loved it, one is still a member (the other moved to NJ and got his own stuff again).

It certainly does cost time and money to get to the burbs; for a lot of people, the hassle of getting up there would take the frequency with which one can use the car down to a level that doesn't make sense for most. For me, I found the savings in cost of storing in the 'burbs vs. where I was (Sutton) was more than enough to offset the cost of transportation, not to mention the cost, anxiety, time and anguish of the inevitable damage caused by NYC roads and garages. Most importantly, driving a toy anywhere inside of NYC was anything but pleasurable for me...I couldn't even begin to enjoy myself until I was out in the country anyway. So for me, being able to keep my car somewhere that was nice, was a quick train ride away, and had great roads all around would've been enough for me to pay the same as I would've in NYC...hell, I would've paid up just to avoid the NYC roads.

That thought process is ultimately what precipitated my move to the 'burbs...now I can drive toys as I please :). Well, that and taxes...

16. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    Thanks for advice.

Keeping it outside of NYC doesn't make sense. When you add up:

R/T Cabs to GCT
    R/T Metro-North 60+min.
    R/T Cabs to Garage
    Isolated garage location
    Early closing times of garage
    Above leading to lack of use...

I did it for 8 years AND trust me it was not worth it

17. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Can ANYONE recommend a self-park garage just outside of NYC?

I would prefer a location that is within walking distance from a subway or PATH train. I'd prefer to park in NJ (perhaps Jersey City or Hoboken, or even a litter further west would be okay. I just don't want to end up on Long Island.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

18. Johnny Ferrari

Sep 14, 2011
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    M. John Matos
    I park in Midtown East, alternate between cars, but keep either a Maserati QP or my F355GTS in the Garage, been doing so for 3 years now and have had no issues... I tip the guys very well... they get a buck at drop off and pickup and $200 cash at the beginning of every month (the $200 gets split btwn 4 attendants)... they keep a nice spot for me with plenty of room around it... they treat it like their own... car stay "downstairs" always...

Ultimately: If you treat them well and are personable they will take care of your car...

Go For It!

19. MWPhoto

MWPhoto Karting
    BANNED

Aug 13, 2012
    I would consider Deluxe Car Storage in New Hyde Park, its right next to the LIRR train station so its really convenient to get to. I wouldn't park an Exotics in the city, I wouldn't trust any of the parking garages there.

visit Classic Car Storage New York, Long Island

20. kramedawg

kramedawg Rookie

Jan 18, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Look into Collector's Car Garage in Westchester, NY. It is worth taking a trip there, regardless if you end up storing your car with them.