Car Community | FerrariChat

Car Community

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by cliffsYellow308, Jul 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cliffsYellow308

Jul 21, 2014
    I own a small commercial building on long Island at a LIRR station stop. My building is 2 minutes from 25A and 10 minutes from the highway. I am considering converting the building into an auto storage/ member club facility for anyone with a car they love. You don't have to store a car to join which could be a smaller fee. I want to create a community for those with the same passion, not just storage. We'll have a lounge with multiple flat panels to watch multiple events simultaneously, play station, wifi, an area for happy hours, Get togethers, drives, movies, bar-b-ques, etc. all at this facility. Before I move ahead, I'd like to get some feedback. Your thoughts?

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    There's already a number of places that are well established offering the same services in the area.

BTW: maybe you should register first? There's rules on posting for businesses. Granted your looking for input first. The moderators can make this call.

3. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    I think it's a great idea for Long Island. We really don't have any one facility that offers all of the things you mentioned. Nassau or Suffolk?

4. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    You should visit Deluxe Car Storage in New Hyde Park; sounds like you're proposing the same concept. Frankly, hanging out in a warehouse watching tv and playing video games does not appeal to me.

While we're on the topic of due diligence, check the building's zoning and permitted uses. Commercial zoning does not automatically allow vehicle storage and maintenance. Selling food and alcohol (happy hour/barbecue) also requires approvals. If you're thinking of "converting" or re-zoning the building, it will cost you a fortune in legal fees and will take years in most cases.

I think if you keep it simple and offer clean, secure, affordable car storage without the frills, you will do well.

Good luck :)

5. cliffsYellow308

Jul 21, 2014
    Thank you for your comments. I'm looking to create something very different than Deluxe Car Storage. They mostly a storage facility that holds up to 300 autos. My facility will only hold up to 35 autos and keep the cars in a climate controlled environment with lots of security. But, I want to build more of a destination for those who love cars and want to create a community. Holding events is all part of building a community. As far as alcohol goes. We would not sell alcohol without a license. That would be included in the membership during happy hours.

As far as zoning goes, we are already checking into that. This facility would be all above board. I'm really wanting to find out if there are enough people who would enjoy an experience enough that it's worthwhile paying a fee even if they didn't store their car.

6. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Sounds interesting. I have no need for storage, but welcome the opportunity to socialize with fellow enthusiasts.
    Keep me posted.

Leo

7. cliffsYellow308

Jul 21, 2014
    Thank you Leo, Do you think there are other like you out there? For me it's about a passion and desire to build a community where those of like minds can share like interests.

8. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Not sure about the Nassau county LI Ferrari crowd? I have a friend local to you, I'm sure would be most interested, he has a stunning Scud! I keep my cars in Nassau county on the south shore . What town is your building in?

9. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This could be something I would be interested in. There really is nothing going on on LI other than the usual muscle car meets so I think this could be a good idea. What town?

10. cliffsYellow308

Jul 21, 2014
    Northport, at the train station.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

In my backyard!

12. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior