Valet parking issue | FerrariChat

Valet parking issue

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Eli355, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    So today I had a meeting at 25th and madison. I came to a garage between 3rd and lex on 24th street. The garage was fully automated. No attendant touched my car. You drive up, inset your credit card and follow prompts to pull onto a bed. Lock your car take your keys. You exit the vehicle. You pull out your receipt and a robot takes the car on the bed you drove in on and puts the car and bed on racks. The same process when you get back. You put your receipt in the slot and 2 min later you car is delivered by robot, facing out, locked as you left it. Fantastic for those concerned about valet parking with exotics. Worth a visit. I heard there is a new one being built that will also wash the car as part of the process. Not for exotics but fantastic none the less for a daily drive.

2. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Eh, so what's the issue?! :confused: Sounds pretty good to me!

3. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    #3 JWeiss, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    That explains it. I thought I saw a 575M drone driving itself around midtown at high speed the other day. Just some robots having fun I guess. Did you check your mileage?

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I wonder if they ask people to disable their car alarms to prevent triggering them while they are being moved around after being locked.

I seem to recall a video a while back of a garage in Europe that was fully automated in the manner that you described. Seemed pretty cool as it protected the cars from human error and the garages didn't need to waste as much space on driving lanes and could use that space for revenue generating parking spaces.

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I think one was built in Hoboken a few years ago...the city licensed the operating software from a guy in the Scandinavian countries...
    There was a dispute over licensing fees...so he shut it down...remotely.

He got paid.

Be a real PITA in a blackout, no? Not like you can walk up...terrifically space and labor efficient tho...

6. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    You forgot the best part of the Hoboken garage it malfunctioned and a dozen cars were destroyed.

7. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Didn't know they had one of those here in manhattan. I'll have to go check it out.

8. titanium430isback

titanium430isback Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
  9. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Hey guys. The garage is pretty cool. It's at this relative new condo development. ONE 48 Condominiums, 148 E 24th St NYC

These guys make the garage, I think: Automotion Parking Systems - Automated Parking - Robotic Parking

I remember looking at a condo there and from the recreation room you can see into the garage and if you're lucky, your own car. I was so impressed by the idea I started looking into it. Whoever has the best patents will ultimately make a ton of money. So many garages park cars within inches to save space (valet attendants climb out the windows, even in nice cars). With this system, each car is on a separate tray, and they also stack cars on top of each other. For a developer, its a way to maximize square footage (horizontal) but also cubic footage (vertical). I wouldn't be surprised if more popped up.