Great restaurant in NYC midtown | FerrariChat

Great restaurant in NYC midtown

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Sweet928, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I've got a business dinner coming up and I'm looking for a hip/cool but still high end restaurant. Tao was one thought but it was closed for a private party. Delfriscos is a favorite but want to try something new. Nobu is good but too limited of a menu for the out of state crowd I'm entertaining. Any ideas? Someone recommended Lavo which is also owned by Tao.

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 msdesignltd, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  4. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    Agreed. Was just at Marea the other night after a while away and it is one of the great meals out there. Relaxed and elegant and not too noisy which is getting harder to find. Also...it is white truffle season.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
  6. Tstocks

Tstocks Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    If its an important business dinner I'd suggest old reliable, del frisco cannot be beat IMO when viewing your 'must haves'.

7. Sassicaia

Sassicaia Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Walter
    You may want to consider Davio's on Lex between 45th and 44th or Lavo on 58th across the street from Serafina.

8. nnjferrari

nnjferrari Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    north new jersey
    Full Name:
    matthew
    Blt is awesome. I go to the one in Puerto Rico all the time.

If you have a really good steak place , Benjamin's. Great food. Not so trendy.

If you want a fun place with great food and atmosphere go to cafeteria. Best mac and cheese with truffle oil. Everything there is good

9. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Jean George (near Columbus Circle) is my go-to for out of town clients. Bring your wallet, uh stock portfolio; it ain't cheap.

If you're a steak and potatoes guy, Keens Chop House (near Penn Station) is reliable, but it has an old New York atmosphere - not "trendy". The bar room is good meeting spot.

Bon appetite :)

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 Ashman, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Unless the out of towners are frequent and sophisticated restaurant patrons in NYC, stick to a high end place that will be recognizable and impressive to the folks back home. The wow factor of "I got taken to Per Se! (Or 21 or Four Seasons)" outweighs the new hotspot that makes their friends and colleagues go "huh, okay" when they report back. "New, hip, trendy" best left for the frequent foodie visitors.

PS. places like Del Frisco's (also Capitol Grill, Morton's etc.) that are chains with locations in other cities, while excellent, are not "New York" enough to make your dinner memorable to clients.

IMHO, of course!

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    il mulino, valbella, cirpianis, san pietro

12. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I love Keens, but it is for New Yorkers. Per Se is great, haven't been for a while to 21. Love the Four Seasons with out of towers, but only of you can get to the pool side in the pool room. Jean Georges is great too, but also consider Daniel.

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Ahhh Il Mulino. Use to be one of my all-time favorite to take a client. It's been years now, but I'm sure it is still fabulous food, not too much on the ambiance and a tiny place.

Have not been in the NYC restaurant circles of late, but, yeah it's hard to beat Four Seasons or Jean Georges to impress a client or yourself.

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not to mention Il Mulino's reputation for making people with reservations wait for 30-60 minutes to be seated. Or at least that was true a few years ago in the Village, now it is a chain restaurant with locations in Vegas, Atlantic City, South Beach etc.

15. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Everyone here seems to have named the standard places.

Personally, if I wanted to show someone a great meal I'd go to Quality Meats.

I've always had great food there with fantastic service.

16. Allard54

Allard54 Karting

Dec 11, 2009
    CT.
    Full Name:
    Marcel Perlman Ph.D.
    Try Le Bernadin...

17. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    I went to Estancia Milos last night for a business dinner and wow was I impressed (and that's not easy). Very upscale crowd- no more black cars could fit outside the restaurant if they tried. Very expensive though but amazing fish.

Milos New York

18. driver

driver Karting

Sep 19, 2002
    Not only is the food at Marea great, but the service is as well. It is far quieter than Il Mulino, too.

19. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I was at Per Se on Saturday night and while not a diverse menu (its a tasting menu with a veg. tasting menu as an alternative) it is IMHO unabashedly the "finest" restaurant in NYC (and possibly the US). Good luck getting a reservation on short notice !

20. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I think you have to better define cool/hip and adjust according to the day of the week you're going.

21. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    The reliable midtown greats include:
    Daniel
    Jean Georges
    Le Bernardin
    Per Se
    Marea
    Four Seasons

If you can venture downtown, you might also consider:
    Il Mulino
    Babbo
    Del Posto
    Bouley

You can't go wrong with any of these, but getting a reservation may be difficult.

22. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I ended up going to Lavo. Very good Italian. Noisy but good.

23. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    I'd recommend STK!

24. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    I would recommend Crave. Its an amazing place with great food and fantastic atmosphere.

25. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    Go to 11 Madison park it is a great entertaining night with 3 Michelin stars and number 7 in the world. Awesome. Just wait for the clam chowder and you are transported to the ocean. A great trick how they do it. 295 per person.