Anyone know a good cobbler? | FerrariChat

Anyone know a good cobbler?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by rpps, Jan 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hey, all!

I have a pair of Bruno Magli boots and after beating them up for five years, the soles need replacing.

I've done some Googling but would like to hear if anyone has a good cobbler in the New York Tri-State I can trust with my shoes/boots.

Thank you in advance!

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I'm not an officienado of shoe repair but this guy had been here forever , he doesn't have a website, he has a lot of old school machinery in his shop and he returns your shoes to you in a brown paper bag. When I just mentioned this thread and this guy to my daughter , she said "don't lose your ticket". As he has a totally analog customer invoice system.

In other words , it's old school.

Barbers Shoe Repair. Little silver, nj.

(732) 842-9311
    NJ, USA

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you go into NYC, I can recommend highly Alex's Shoe Repair on 44th between Madison and Vanderbilt Avenue, right around the corner from The Yale Club and across from Grand Central. Good work and, like many shoe repair shops, cash only.

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I see you are in Bergen County. There's a guy in Ridgewood, next to park west tavern I think. Don't know the name but people say he is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Some of the shoe mfgs will take back their shoes and refurbish them, contact Bruno Magli.

If I was still working in Manhattan, there are plenty of places and Ashman has mentioned one, but there were many good places for soles and heels. Make sure they sew them on and not just glue them if that is how they were done originally. I use to pay about $40.00 a pair 15 years ago for full soles and leather heels.

6. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thank you, all!

Appreciate the quick replies!

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, and also specify the heel style you want (e.g. full leather, English heel of leather with a rubber corner, etc.) and also ask about the soles to make sure you stay as close as possible with the original design, thickness, etc.

Oh, I think full soles and heels these days are between $60-80! Still a bargain compared to the cost of new replacement shoes.

Also, I am fastidious about shoe care. I keep them clean, polished, with shoe trees when not being worn, don't wear them every day, etc. I routinely get 15 years or more and 2 or 3 full soles and heels out of a good pair of quality dress shoes.

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You're right. I would also get 10+ years out of good shoes by doing the same. If you invest in good footwear treat them right. It pays off.

9. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    You guys make some great points; however, this specific pair I wanted to give them that "distressed" look without paying for it. I wanted the character.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thank you all, again!