GOOD READ: Tinted Front Windows Enforcement in NJ | FerrariChat

GOOD READ: Tinted Front Windows Enforcement in NJ

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by rpps, Feb 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hey, all.

Just curious if you guys have seen this story:

Are tinted-window tickets enforceable? Roxbury chief says yes, after judge tosses one out | NJ.com

Just received my fourth tint ticket — three of which are in my hometown — and I am required to show up to court. Was written up for 39:3-75 (Safety Glass) and I am debating pleading not guilty and using the guidance from the link above.

Any thoughts?

I completely respect the law and our officers, however, NJ's enforcement of front plates and window tints is just complete B.S. if you ask me. According to the officer it's in place for "officer safety," which I can understand; however, who are these laws written for?

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Isn't there an objective standard for degree of tint applied? If there is and your windows can be measured as tinted too dark per the law, how would you get out of that ticket?

3. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    Of course it BS. Cops have the darkest tinted windows off and on duty.

4. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'm sure their argument is that they need to be able to see into cars upon a traffic stop so they know who they're about to encounter. I think as long as we roll down our windows and even turn on interior lights, that negates the tinted windows argument.

Similarly, police may claim they need to run plates of a car behind them, thus enforcing the front plate laws (it's also easier for police radar to scan a front plate).

5. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It is not in the statute (39:3-75), which is the point of the story.

6. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    NJ have always been out of control.
    Seems to me they are shunning the serious work to chase the petty potential lucrative stuff.
    I wonder if they also get into this habit of seizing the drivers cash as some like to do under the law.

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    NY law states:
    " tint laws require that all vehicles have no less than 70 percent light transmittance on the windshield and front side windows, excepting the top 6 inches of the windshield, which may be tinted to any darkness."

The police officers carry tint meters to check the exact transmittance and can testify in court.
    There are exceptions and motorists may get a permit to be exempt from the law for medical reasons (usually some sort of medication that reacts with the sun, or skin cancer issues)
    Apparently NJ dropped the ball when writing the law.

8. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    slightly off topic: What about the tinted covers we see on license plates. Is there a statute dealing with that?

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Unclear / Fictitious Plates - 39:3-33

New Jersey Traffic Laws - Title 39

39:3-33. Unclear / Fictitious Plates
    39:3-33. Markers; requirements concerning; display of fictitious or wrong numbers, etc.; punishment

39:3-33. The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division;
    ...No person shall drive a motor vehicle which has a license plate frame or identification marker holder that conceals or otherwise obscures any part of any marking imprinted upon the vehicle's registration plate or any part of any insert which the director, as hereinafter provided, issues to be inserted in and attached to that registration plate or marker.

A person violating any other provision of this section shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $100.00. In default of the payment thereof, there shall be imposed an imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 10 days. A person convicted of a second offense of the same violation may be fined in double the amount herein prescribed for the first offense and may, in default of the payment thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 20 days. These penalties shall not apply to the display of a fictitious number.

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    NJ sucks. Allegedly, we have a law that makes slurping soup illegal (I'm serious, but I don't think it's enforceable, and I never saw the actual statute).

Don't get me started on the gun laws here, which finds the public (in effect) "guilty until proven innocent".

11. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    It seams to me that not only NJ had to re write its law but also supply authorities with the proper equipment (meters) in order to enforce it.

12. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Exactly!

Actually, it seems that both statutes haven't been updated.

Will be buzzing my lawyer to see if it's worth a shot or just show up and plead guilty as the ticketing officer required my appearance in court.

13. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    You said it, man. Just acquired my FID and was on my way to the range when I got the tint ticket. Needless to say that took another 15 minutes and then the officers told me bad information regarding what paperwork I needed with the weapon. According to NJSP, these local cops didn't even know what they were talking about!

14. lefizzet

lefizzet Rookie

Jun 28, 2011
    What town in Bergen? I've gotten stopped once in 5 years with front tint and no front plate. From Franklin Lakes.

15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Covers on the plate are illegal in NY, even clear ones believe it or not.
    Even a lot of frames are illegal (the ones that cover any part of the writing on the plate).
    Whether the law is enforced or not is a whole separate issue.
    What I can tell you is how "most" cops will react to those(obviously there are always a few screwballs). Most will write a ticket for a tinted plate cover, but most will ignore any frame or clear cover....UNLESS you are a wise guy if you get pulled over.
    The laws are very strange sometimes. The law even states the height of the front license plate. I don't remember which car it was, but there was one (possibly a certain year trans am/Camaro) that was illegal right from the factory because the plate would be mounted too low!
    Anything hanging on the mirror is illegal, any sticker on any window, illegal too (only registration and inspection stickers are allowed). In other words those seat belt stickers on the side windows that come from the factory, technically illegal! Of course the laws leave room for interpretation and no cop in their right mind would write a ticket like that, but I'm just telling you so you can see how ridiculous some laws actually are. Of course the sticker on the window laws were intended for stickers that actually block the drivers view.

16. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Same here. If they wanted to give plates or tint tickets just go to any car meetup. The police are nice and professional in Bergen. Maybe because they know Franklin Lakes residents can afford a lawyer.

17. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    It was Roxbury NJ I live in the next town over. As previously mentioned there is one guy who keeps on challenging the Roxbury PD. THey had no way to measure light transmittance so they stopped writing tickets for this infraction.

18. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    New Milford.