NY car in NJ -- Front plate? Registration sticker? | FerrariChat

NY car in NJ -- Front plate? Registration sticker?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Asta, Jun 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Asta

Asta Karting

Mar 29, 2014
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hey guys, if my New York plated car is driving / parked in New Jersey, are the local cops going to ticket me if I don't have a front plate?

What if my registration sticker is not affixed to the front glass but just resting there, still totally readable?

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I haven't had a front plate on my 355 for 15 years (knock on wood).

3. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    You will not get a ticket in NJ for not having a front plate as a NY driver unless NY law requires a front plate. USually the registration sticker has to be affixed to front windshield. It does not say how it should be attached. But if it is lying on the dashboard you will get a ticket since cops driving by your car while you are driving must be able to see the sticker. If they can not see it from their car I think you will get a ticket.

4. Dave M

Dave M Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    You should be fine

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Careful when you go home through the bridge/tunnel tolls. They have police standing there just to catch folks.

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    In jersey you will have no issues UNLESS you get that rare anal cop . He can write for no front plate because jersey cops knows that law but sticker highly doubtful since jersey doesn't have that , it usually doesn't come to mind .

I have Pa plate and no sticker . So don't worry ...

7. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I have not had a front plate on my car for many years. When I was younger I would get a ticket once in a while ($56), but recently I do not get bothered.

8. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
    I've been ticketed in NJ for no NY front plate

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Odds are you'll be fine

10. 12.3:1

12.3:1 Rookie

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    NJ resident - i haven't had a front plate on any vehicle since 2008. i got a ticket in 2011 at a mid-day checkpoint in a particularly police-laden town. i ALMOST got through but i was too honest. the vehicle was so terribly clean and still had the temp tag in the rear window, even though it was over a year old. he was waving me through and then i think he was trying to do the math on the new car inspection sticker and asked me if the vehicle was new. i said no.

i live in an area with a lot of PA invaders so absent front plates is a common sight.

i had less scruples when i was young - i even drove around without an inspection sticker for about four years. not expired, literally not there. i got pulled over a couple times and every time i told them i had gotten a new windshield and the sticker was destroyed. they always believed me.