Venting about the state of NY-area roadways... | FerrariChat

Venting about the state of NY-area roadways...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by phishgoldy, Jun 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    #1 phishgoldy, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry for the negative tone - I'm not usually so grumpy, but just frustrated with how poor our infrastructure is.

How can the roads be THIS bad?? How is that acceptable??

The I-95 corridor - a major interstate - just north of the city coming through the Bronx is a literal mine field of giant potholes. Absolutely devastating apocalyptic monster potholes. Let alone headed south towards NJ...don't even bother.

The FDR in Manhattan is like driving on the surface of the moon.

Parts of the LIE are absolutely appalling. The GCP... all of it.

Fortunately we don't have to pay much for tolls on these roads... oh, wait...

How can this be? And not just, "bad winter"; the FDR has was a disaster when I moved to London three years ago. I assumed when I moved home this year it would have been fixed. NOPE.

And forget about Ferraris... what about the average person who can't afford a new tire or wheel? It's ridiculous. This isn't Cambodia... it's NEW YORK CITY.

Feel free to copy and paste the below text I sent to some NY politicians:

--------------------------------------

Dear Senator,

Thank you for all that you do. I'm writing to draw your attention to the appalling condition of the NY-area roadways. While I know crews have been hard at work addressing potholes, major arteries such as the I-95 corridor in and out of NYC, the FDR and other major roadways are in such poor condition that it is extremely unsafe and has already cost human lives. Moreover, the damage to vehicles - much of which occurs to vehicles owned by those who can scarce afford the new tires or wheels required after a pothole hit - is costing tax payers (who pay exorbitant tolls on those very roads) millions.

I've travelled around the world, including to impoverished third-world countries. But New York City has among the worst roadways I've ever seen, and it's shameful.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Let's not let risk the safety and wallets of our fellow New Yorkers any more.

PS: My new (to me, anyway) 2011 458 ITALIA in Blu Pozzi/Cuoio.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I was in Cedarhurst Long Island over the weekend and drove home using the Belt Parkway West, 678 to the whitestone, and then 278 to 87 north to GWB. I was very surprised at how absolutely rough the condition of the highways were this far into spring / summer.

PS: The Blue Pozzi looks excellent, must be a rare color for the 458!

3. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Thanks Wisky. The blue looks black in low light but is weirdly much brighter than midnight or navy blue colors in the sun. A bizarre color but I fell for it. Oh I know that route. There are some huge bumps and mangled spots. It's just insane how bad it is.

4. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

I basically won't drive mine west of the Shinnecock canal. Afraid to do so!

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 msdesignltd, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    I travel the LIE from NYC to EH every weekend..
    I must say they are 99% complete with repaving the worst areas, especially the areas in Nassau from queens to 110..

That new Black top is the smoothest I have ever encountered anywhere..

But in general...queens is a disaster..Do Not Take your eyes from the road!

They need to add Duck feathers to the asphalt mix..
    No Kidding..its a tech on the horizon now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS2X33GGAy4

Go Figure!

6. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    duck feathers - thats crazy!

7. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Yeah some portions of the LIE are much better, but anything within 5-10 miles of NYC is still destroyed! :(

8. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    its been driving me nutz,
    20's on my 911 , bent rim.
    20's on my ghibli bubble on one side, bent rim on the other
    19's on my ghibli with winter tires, had to order front rim and tire,
    bubble on tire and piece of rim broke off.
    it gets really hard to enjoy these cars in ny.
    congrats on the 458 goldy, looks awesome.
    i am truly envious,
    enjoy in good health.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    keep your nice car somewhere it can be used, not onlky in terms of road surface but also traffic conditions..
    As to the roads, they just dont give crap, motorists are something to be fleeced to pay for other stuff. Then when roads are fixed its union contracts at 4x the price.

I also wonder why snow ploughs have to have a metal blade scraping and destroying the road?

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I'm sure he meant pig feathers - from when pigs fly.

11. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Boxerman, I hear ya. Clyde, haha.

12. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    NYC is still pretty bad, but they fixed most of LI from this past winter. I haven't had an issue with the roads out here in months. But it was horrible in jan-feb-march.

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I was out on the gold coast(old westbury, lattingtown, ect) of Long Island yesterday in the 308. The roads were horrible. Potholes filled, but they were just patched and bumpy- jolting the suspension.

14. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    beautiful car! Now your response:
    ---
    Dear Voter,

I totally share your frustration regarding the state of the NY city roads. Be assured that I am placing this issue on the forefront of my work. I am a commuter too. My Escalade paid for by this great state, has had its toll (no punt) of issues and my chauffeur seems to have a hard time avoiding them, causing me a lot of discomfort and spilling my champagne all over the seat. I cant fire him because he is with the city's workers union.

Here is my action plan: This week I will propose a general special surtax of all bridges of $20 each way. Yes you read well! Only $20. I have the courage and foresight to do what it takes to fix problems using creative thinking.
    The existing small toll fees are already consumed by the new raises, financing collegues special projects and other family members activities that would not be relevant for this discussion or any other one.

For a very low cost of less than $40 one way, you will be able to cross the Washington Bridge in complete safety and peace of mind if I am sucessful. That is only $80 round trip and no traffic studies.

I hope I have fully addressed your concerns and if you have more, please bring them to my attention as I am a man of action.

PS: Dont forget my name on the ballot when you go to vote next time.

15. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Christie got wind of the toll increase and nixed it.
    So make sure you shut down several lanes of the GWB to remind voters that Christie doesn't play ball well.

16. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    The 458 is gorgeous. My favorite color also - congrats! I give you guys a lot of credit for even driving the cars, these roads are ridiculous, I'd be embarrassed if I represented the govt.

17. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I bent a wheel (fortunately, it could be repaired) on my 458 in May 2014 on a pothole on the Bronx River Parkway. I feel your pain.

With the exception of an early morning jaunt to 7 Lake Drive in Harriman State Park, I've stayed in Nassau and Suffolk in this driving season.

18. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Still bad areas on Long Island, and a few areas that were patched... Terrible job.... Don't understand how they get away with such bad quality pot hole repairs.... Do it once & do it right.

19. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    So true Countachqv...

20. SM Photography

SM Photography Karting

Oct 20, 2014
    Full Name:
    Spencer M.
    I live just outside Philly, but I make the trip up I-95 very week or two and am always left in a state of shock. In a city glorified across the globe for being the center of commerce, talent, and the American dream, how can we allow our roads to fall in such a dismal state!? Not to mention bridges that are long overdue needing desperate repair.

21. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Exactly!! I'm literally in a state of shock. I was driving with my wife and infant in an Audi Q7 on 95 at 20 mph bumper to bumper and getting jostled about like we were on a safari... in a Ferrari, fuggeddaboutit