Help with paint in the NYC/Greenwich area | FerrariChat

Help with paint in the NYC/Greenwich area

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by davemqv, Aug 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi All,
    This is a repost of a thread I started in the detailing forum, but I thought you local guys might be able to help me out, so....

I appear to have just purchased an 83 Mondial QV coupe. Haha. It still has it's original black (Nero?) paint and clear coat finish. I'd say 90% of the paint is in good shape, but there are rock dings and a couple of other dings here and there that have been "home fixed" with gloss black paint. Additionally, there's a small area around the bottom edge of the gas filler port that had a bit of rust and the owner again "home fixed" with some gloss black paint.

I'd like to fix these areas but I really don't want to put a $20k paint job on a $20k car. Is this something a good body shop could spot fix and then buff to blend in with the original paint? Seems like a total noob question but in all my years I've never had that type of work done on a car before.

Otherwise , what are my options besides a full bare metal repaint? A "scuff and paint" deal? Prefer to spot fix if possible. Not trying to have a show car, but the last owners fixes, while fine from 10 ft away, are a bit chunky looking up close.

I'm in the NYC/Greenwich area of anyone has any suggestions. Also, please let me know if I'm in the wrong forum with this question. And lastly if anyone knows of a good garage in which to park this baby in Brooklyn (ideally Greenpoint area), please let me know!

Thanks
    Dave

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Spot work just needs to find a good area to blend into.

There is a small shop in Bergenfield that I highly recommend for this.

Skyelight Auto Body
    53 Delford Ave, Bergenfield, NJ 07621
    (201) 385-2512

Ask for Brian. Tell him Mark from Auto Elite referred you.

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is this Mark form Auto Elite in Tenafly? I was thinking of writing to you guys about doing a service on the car as well. In fact I think I may have done it already. :)

Thanks for the reference!

4. smin9870

smin9870 Karting

Mar 6, 2011
    CT
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Call Dan at Bradan ( they are a sponsor). I had them do a couple spots on my 360 and they've done a great job. If you search their forum under my username you'll see the work they've done. They'll even pick up and deliver (at a fair cost).

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, I'm mark from Auto Elite.
    I hope I don't tarnish the rep of the shop by admitting that....