Good Driving Roads in Bergen County | FerrariChat

Good Driving Roads in Bergen County

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Doug_S, Aug 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    As is my wont (custom), I went out Sunday at 6 am to take a spirited drive when the roads were empty. Never push the car on a public road but it is a nice sensation the way it eats up distance when loafing. I realized I have driven the same road a few dozen times, bc there is only one twisty road close by with no homes on it, that I am aware of.

Now Rt 17 Rt 208 The GSPW etc are empty but what can you do with them? At 6 am on Sunday I don't want to drive for an hour to get to a nice road. Bear Mtn in NY is out, there are hikers and bicyclists using it at 6. Parts of Rt 17 in NY is not too bad but it is in terrible shape.

So I would like to start a thread of good roads to drive (during very off hours) in Bergen County.

2. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    No one has a suggestion? What if I expand the driving area to southern NY and Warren county?

3. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    There are decent roads around the Palisades Park area, but getting there is a hassle. I drive through Saddle River/Woodcliff Lake and the surrounding area sometimes - those are quiet roads most of the time. Skyline Drive in Ringwood is a nice ride when it isn't crowded as well.

Southern NY opens you up to Greenwood Lake and obviously the roads that lead to the Bear Mountain area.

4. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks Tony.

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Tonight going to the Bear Moutain car show....Up 287 to 87N off 1st exit through Tuxedo (careful!) to 7 lakes drive.
    A nice drive through park up & past Perkins Drive to the Bear Mountain inn to the show.

If you want, All around that area is wonderful. Bear Mountain Bridge, wonderful. Just go off-hours so traffic isn't bad.

It was dark, so home is the palisades Pkwy to 87/287.

6. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Yes. Once I drove to Bear Mtn early in the morning and there is a stretch of 25 MPH residential road off 87 N and they are serious about it. There was an officer stopping every car and saying good morning. He said "want to trade" about my red/tan 360 spyder.

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Pretty much what Tony says. Storm King Highway is the best around here in my opinion but the cops know it. All nice roads around here seem suffer the same fate... there are slow cars, cyclists, police and low speed limits. Don't even consider Harriman in the summer during the day at weekends. It's packed. I often go driving during the day midweek when most people have other things to do and it can be very quiet.

I have a few loops in/around NJ/NY... E.g. 202 to Skyline drive to sloatsburg to 17. Tiorati Brook Road to Arden Valley to Kanawauke Road. The latter is used by Gotham Dream Cars often... I hear them driving past my house a lot. Nothing great though... just a poor part of the country for roads.

I'm guessing Clyde might know some NW of Wayne? Kinda like asking for personal secrets though :)

Regards
    David

8. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I didn't think of that. A few people using a good road, particularly tubi 355's or 360's or 458's could lead to locals complaining to the police. I know I don't like some of the speeders on my 25 mph street but it is a suburban grid totally built up. Thanks for the suggestions.

9. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I say none as there are too many small towns there with too many ticket hungry cops. I'd stay off that Palisades Parkway too as it is the heaviest patrolled road in the NY metro area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Better to take the PiP I think.

11. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

I usually go up further and take 106 to Seven Lakes - it's a much more technical and windy road than Seven Lakes.

12. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    9W through Alpine, up to Palisades NY is a nice drive - but watch out for cops.

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Not a chance! With all the Meathead police on it!?! Search for horrors here about the PP Police

Nice drive - lots of police

I headed up the 287 extension today. It's happening. Fall is fast approaching. The birches are yellow and the Blackgum are red. {sigh} Too soon.

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Watch out for deer around Bear Mountain - saw tons of them (more than I've seen anywhere) last night. Also, forget Waze for getting to Bear Mountain - it directed us in to a residential development before deciding that it didn't know how to get there. It turns out that the development was a good 15 or more minutes away (one of the neighbors helped with directions and mentioned that he had seen a lot of people lost, all using Waze). This is the first time Waze has led me astray - usuLly it's brilliant.

15. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Rule of thumb: NEVER stretch any vehicles' legs on the PIP.

I do this drive a lot and stop at the 9W market. Then, I pass through lovely Piermont and use the backroads back into Bergen County, starting with Rockleigh.

Upper Saddle River and Saddle River have great country roads where you can have limited fun.

But I always seem to get the most of my trips heading up Skyline Drive and working my way around the Wanaque Reservoir, past Ringwood Manor and up to old RT 17.

These are nice cruising roads but, frankly, with the power today's autos make it's best to find a track.

16. mikec93

mikec93 Rookie

Sep 7, 2015
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you want to go out a little west you can try the Delaware Water Gap area and Port Jervis/Rt 97(Hawk's Nest). Really nice this time of year with the foliage changing colors but it's not somewhere that you can stretch the car's legs out.