Mac repair in North NJ | FerrariChat

Mac repair in North NJ

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by peterp, Sep 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 peterp, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Does any know of a reputable repair place for Mac products in North NJ? I have an iMac 27 that needs the power supply replaced and I have an MacBook Pro Retina 15" that needs the LCD panel replaced.

2. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    MAke an appointment at an Apple Store they will fix it.

3. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Personally, I'd just go to the Apple store, which I know is not the answer you're looking for.

Sorry!

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've bought parts here in the last year and it's a fantastic store, one of the last survivors.

They show Apple service as something they provide. It's off of 20 near Patterson close to Lowes.

Micro Center North Jersey / Paterson

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree Microcenter is a cool store, especially if you want to build a PC, but I have not had a good experience with them. I originally bought the iMac 27 from them (Microcenter in Patterson). The interaction with them regarding service has been terrible. I called them to get a rough idea of the cost to replace the power supply, and their response was "it's a pretty complicated job, so it'll probably be about $400 to $500".

I had already watched a youtube video showing that replacing the power supply takes about 20 minutes max and couldn't be more straightforward. I also know the power supply from Apple is $149 and generic equivalents are $45, so I asked how they came up with $400 to $500. They said I would need to bring in the computer before they could give me an accurate estimate. I asked them if there would be a charge to give the estimate and they said no.

So, I brought the iMac into Microcenter asking again how much it would cost to change the power supply. They said they couldn't give me an answer without leaving the computer and paying a $40 diagnostic fee. I said I understood that their could be something additional wrong that would require a diagnostic to identify, but just give me the parts and labor price to replace the power supply so I had a rough idea. They refused to even look up the part price. The guy at the counter was nice, but of no help whatsoever and everything he told me was the polar opposite of what I was told on the phone.

Not the answer I hoped for, but I guess its the answer I needed to hear. Have an appointment with them tomorrow.

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Update: Went to the Apple store today for service appointment. They have very reasonable flat fee of $39 labor for all repairs. They are very professional to deal with, some parts can be pricy.

For the iMac, diagnostics show that the graphics card is causing the shutdown. Price for the graphics card isn't too bad.

For the the Macbook Pro 15" Retina screen replacement, the part alone is about $680, so it is well over $700 with $39 labor and tax. I may seek out alternatives -- almost better to get a new MacBook at this price, except that the broken one is fairly new. Pretty painful for a drop onto the table from a height of about 2".

Thanks for the feedback -- I'm very glad I took it to the Apple store.

7. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Glad to hear you found the Apple Store experience a positive one.

Every time I have had to go — once or twice — it's painful having to wait but the end result has always been good in my experiences.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My niece just broke her 6i screen. We had a Drop off time 3 hours later. That seemed dumb. why not just take it then? Anyway, then they were behind. but once they had it, 1 hour later it was fixed and reasonable charges.

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Update 2: I couldn't justify the nearly $800 to replace the 15" Retina screen for a 1 year old Macbook, but it was also too new to throw out. I found this listing on eBay that replaces the Retina screen for a flat fee of $269 (MacBook Retina A1398 15? Damaged Screen Repair Replacement Service | eBay). I had excluded online because I didn't want to ship the computer to some unknown place, but the guy in the listing is located in Englewood, NJ. I bought the repair on eBay, dropped it off in person over the weekend, and received it back via insured/signed USPS this morning. I am really happy with the service the display looks as good as ever.

10. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Good stuff, Peter! Awesome that it was local and everything worked out.