Caffeine and Carburetors @ Waveny Park 10/18/15 | FerrariChat

Caffeine and Carburetors @ Waveny Park 10/18/15

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by izaacbrook, Oct 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. izaacbrook

izaacbrook Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Izaac Brook
    This Sunday, October 18th, from 8AM to 11AM at Waveny Park in New Canaan.
    Who's coming out to Caffeine and Carbs? It will likely be the last one of the season.

2. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I plan on attending and many I know will be there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    I'm planning on going. Do you have to register or anything?

4. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    No just show up before 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Some highlights of the show of 1,000 + cars. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Great turn out and variety today! Something for virtually everyone.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    "1,000 plus cars"? Really? Before I moved north last year, C&C was drawing 300+ cars and that caused a huge problem, prompting the move for some events to Waveny. Aren't you exaggerating just a wee bit?

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    As an aside, after having been to nearly all C&C events since the resumption of them several years ago until last year, my opinion is that these are without a doubt the best car shows (organized or not, judged or not) that I have ever seen or participated in, bar anything up here.

Kudos to Doug, Tod, Peter and everyone else who has helped to keep these events going despite the major challenges caused by the enormous turnouts that have occurred.

Well done, thank you and here's hoping that C&C can continue!

9. StallionRx

StallionRx Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    South CT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Had a great time today!

Very well organized and a great crowd.

Awesome job!

10. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Agreed. I think Caffeine is more impressive than many Concours events.

11. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #11 guygowrie, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great turnout but it was chilly, we had flecks of snow later in the afternoon. Some visiting cars departing home after their drivers had warmed up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I saw several interesting cars while cruising down the Merritt Parkway today; 308, GT4, a Merci, two or three vintage racing Porsches and a Cobra Daytona. And more. All were headed east. Was this from the event that I missed?

13. ET550

ET550 Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    CT
    Probably not much of an exaggeration. I don't know if you have been to the prior C&C's at Waveny but the cars were lined up at least 6 rows deep across the open field area (its usually only one row of cars) in addition to all of the other usual locations at Waveny. And the days of only 300+ cars in town are long gone. The first event of the spring pulls in over 500 cars. The event last month in town was cancelled in advance due to weather and over 200 cars still showed up.

14. ET550

ET550 Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    CT
    Most likely. Those cars were all represented at the event.

15. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't know if 1,000 plus but I went this Sunday and also went in May.

In May the announcer indicated over 500 or 550 cars. I arrived at this event around 9am so after most of the area (but not all) filled up, and it was already busier than the May gathering.

Really amazing meet up, with some fantastic cars. The lambo racing area was really interesting, as was the Audi racer (and of course the Ford GTs and vintage 911s).

What I found funny was the way the announcer described the GT4 that was featured in that same area (the yellow one). I was high up on the list for that car but backed out in the hopes of waiting for an RS version... didn't realize it would receive quite the amount of hype that it has.

Anyone else who went there find the lawn parking situation a bit hazardous? There were a couple pretty deep pits in the grass (hard to see when driving) and when you have only a few inches of ground clearance can really mess stuff up. I parked first and noticed the pits later (thankfully). Last time I parked in a row that was right alongside the road but given I was an hour late this time had no choice.

Great show any way you look at it!!

16. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Fantastic event (as always)! Love the format and the relaxed vibe!

17. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I do not think so. I did not count the cars, but I heard several of the attendants say they believed there were over 1000 cars as they lost count. As you can see in this thread others have mentioned there were a lot and described the deep rows parking set up.

Peter even commented on the loud speaker that the show is "national" due to its size.

I think the fact that this was the last one of 2015 coupled with the fact that the prior one was rained out in town that many people showed up.

What I am concerned about is that it was so big and overrun with a lot of so-so and not really special cars that a downtown event may be hard in the future because if that many cars shows up downtown it will be chaos and grid lock. Or downtown permits may be harder to get.

Still the best free show anywhere and better than most pay shows.

18. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I like the mix of cars. What is "special" to some, isn't special to others, and vice versa. It would ruin it if they put in some sort of high criteria for entrance.

Having said that, I did, however, think some of the cars parked in the show area should have been left in the visitor lot (I think I saw a plain Honda Odyssey minivan parked beside a testarossa or something?)

I almost went to the rained out show. I wasn't surprised they canceled it despite no rain that morning, since the grounds must have been really muddy. Even when I got out there on Sunday, without any rain, the grass was pretty wet from dew alone...

19. ET550

ET550 Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    CT
    The rained out show was actually scheduled in the town location, not the park.