NY Ferrari Concours | FerrariChat

NY Ferrari Concours

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by BassMan, Oct 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should there be a Judged Ferrari Concourse on Long Island?

1. Absolutely!

2. Not Interested

3. It would put too many miles on my Ferrari

4. I'm afraid of what the judges may find

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We've all been there - various car shows throughout the tri-state region put on by different groups. Some are great others not so much. Invariably they feature a wide selection of marques.

Long Island and the NYC vicinity has a high concentration of Ferraris off all vintages and conditions. I know I've seen a number of beautiful and rare cars this year alone.

Last year we started a weekly Bagels and Ferraris meet up and consistently gather 15 - 20 cars with new ones joining in all the time.

It would seem that there would be a great deal of interest and support to have a Real Concours that is judged by FCA certified experts rather than the "people's choice" or "judges choice" that we encounter at most events.

I know that I would like to know where my car stands and what I could do to improve on it, knowing full well that it most likely is not a show winner.

We NEED this. I'm fairly certain that many WANT this. We just need to DO this.

Let's start the conversation and planning. Who's in?

2. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Andy, I think it's a great idea. Let's have Steve do it lol.

4. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    100% Yes! How do I vote?
    A great venue would be the Vanderbilt mansion as the Jaguar club does each year.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm in!
    Would be one great day!

7. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    That sounds great Me and the fam would go !!!

8. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
  9. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy

What about Oheka ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's are great place Andy, but I can't Imagine they would do anything for free and I know that every weekend date there is booked for 2 years.

11. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    How about Old Westbury Gardens?

12. kevin323

kevin323 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

BMW , Mercedes and Porsche clubs have a yearly concours at Old Westbury Gardens in early fall. I believe Ferrari club used to be involved. Each club has separate judging. Joining them might be a way to keep costs down.

13. Gator1

Gator1 Karting

Sep 23, 2014
    Westport, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Herm
  14. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    If this is something that we really want to get off the ground, it would make sense to set up a concour committee and assign various tasks. Putting together a concour is a lot of work - especially for an inaugural event. The good news is the winter can be used to flesh it all out. It would be nice to have a spring dust off event in early May. From a cost perspective, the folks in National may be able to pony up a few dollars to make the cost of participation more attractive. One thing for sure is the Metro LI area has all the right ingredients to put on a wonderful show!

15. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I would certainly go to see it. (I have a modern Ferrari, so I'm not a likely entrant.)

16. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    There certainly could be a modern class or classes depending on the number of participants.
    Again, these are the types of items that the committee would need to address. I suppose the National Office has a set of guidelines available that can be used as a starting point.

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree. I don't see why there can't be a modern class as well although I'd be entering my 308 QV :)

18. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    The FCA website has a lot of info on concour event details. One of the most important (and I suspect difficult tasks) will be to find folks who have experience judging AND are familiar with the nuances of the different models.

19. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Well being I'm the LI Chapter president, if anyone can make it happen it's me :) I'm just not sure if I want to take on such a monumental task.
    I will bring it up at the next board meeting.

20. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    Precisely why I suggested a team approach. Divide and conquer. Or did I mean concour...

21. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Its a no-brainer idea. There is huge money and premier vintage and modern LE F cars in the LI/NYC area. Oheka is also a great idea. IMHO it should be a stand alone FCA professional event. There is a HUGE pent up demand in this area for all things Ferrari and racing in general. Its still amazing to me that there is no racetrack ala Bridgehampton in LI (ie. Calverton area would be perfect). A professional FCA event in a top flight LI venue would draw a lot of sponsors and my guess is eventually it would make the Americana show look like a bit of a joke (even though it does include all marques). I could see a real FCA run LI Concours eventually being an East Coast rival to the August Pebble Beach/Quail events which have taken on a life of their own. Wishful thinking ? Possibly, but if we don't give it a shot we'll never know what could be. First issue is seeing if FCA is interested. Second is to line up a dozen quality sponsors. Third issue would be a killer venue. I'm in !

22. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Can off Island Ferraris enter?
    Separate category for dealer cars?

23. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Any Ferrari from anywhere would be eligible. Not sure about dealer cars but it would be worth while discussing.

We should try and make it as inclusive as possible in order to grow and establish it. Maybe one day it can build to be a top level concours like Cavalino or Monterey. That's ambitious and would take years FYI accomplish however, this region has ample talent, resources and cars to make it all happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    The only limitations I can think of would be that the entry would be an F car, registered by an FCA member in good standing and pay whatever registration fees are required by FCA. Seems to me that you'd have cars presented from ALL over the Country and likely the World. If a big auction house (ie. an RM type) was able to sponsor such an event AND also do a live auction of F cars ONLY at the same time it would be extraordinary. This is a HUGE idea whose day has come. The only thing to do is to gauge the interest of FCA NA in doing such an event. Probably need to plan it at least 2 years in advance, etc.

25. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #25 Labman, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our next board meeting is Nov 21. I will bring this up and see what it entails. To me the Sands Point preserve would be the ideal setting for this. I've participated in a muscle car show there years ago and the area behind the mansion is perfect. It overlooks the LI Sound. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login