FCA sub group lines should be redrawn? | FerrariChat

FCA sub group lines should be redrawn?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by MVDESQ, Feb 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    As a member of the FCA, I think the sub club "lines" should be redrawn now. I live in so called "southwestern Connecticut", specifically Greenwich, Connecticut. By default, I get put into the New England Region. 99% of all FNER FCA emails I get are for Massachusetts events. Its many events are too far and irrelevant to me. The funny thing is, there are probably more Ferrari cars within 20 miles of my house (across state lines) than anywhere. In fact, I would go on to say, based on what I see and hear, that tons of Ferrari cars are located in my actual town. Further, many Ferrari's are located in the nearby few CT and NY municipalities. Thus, I think the FCA should make a new meaningful and powerful FCA sub group for southern Fairfield County*, Westchester County and North East Bergen County. Where I live is not really New England, so why force us into a sub group called Ferrari New England Region that is really the Massachusetts Region. My $0.02.

What are your thoughts on a revision of FCA sub club lines?

*Connecticut legally disbanded its counties in 1960, but governments, businesses and people still informally refer to Fairfield County to encompass the municipalities it once held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bigblock66

bigblock66 Rookie

Feb 6, 2016
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    You may want to look back at the History of FCA in the Northeast. Not that long ago the old Northeast Region of FCA comprised not only New England, but also NY, NJ and PA. The power base for that region was based in the Metro NY area. Now imagine how an FCA member in Pittsburgh felt.

The fact of the matter is that for the most part car clubs are not relevant anymore for the purpose of disseminating information about events. Simply check the Empire State region's website to find out what events are taking place in your area.

4. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Thanks for that info I did not know that. I do see your point.

I have checked the Empire State Region site but I don't get their direct emails. With that said, I feel like the Empire State Region, while active, is predominantly a Long Island club which is too far for me for quick things and events. This makes sense as there are tons of Ferrari cars out there in those two counties compared to the rest of New York.

I suppose that is why the Ferrari Owners Club Northeast Region exists as it mostly does cool things in the area I mentioned in my original post.

5. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Long Island events were almost non-existent until Steve M. (Labman) became president of the local chapter. Steve has done a tremendous job of organizing great outings and bringing a wonderful group of Ferrari owners together.

It's not really demographics that make a successful chapter; it's passionate people who are willing to volunteer their time to organize local events. I'm sure the Greenwich area could have a great sub-chapter, but it takes leadership, time, and commitment.

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1! Very well said....

7. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

From what I hear that gentleman does a great job running Empire. However, he has the region. My default region is occupied by people 150-200 away who may be active but not near me.

That is a what we need is a new official sub chapter not part of New England.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I lived in Fairfield County for more than 25 years and never considered it part of "New England" (too many Yankee and Jets fans), so you have a point there.

However, the Empire region is close and, while LI can be a pain to get to because of traffic and the need to go across a bridge, in reality most of the Nassau County events would be well under an hour away from Greenwich as long as the traffic gods cooperate. I used to go from Darien to Garden City fairly often and it usually was less than 45 minutes away. Leaving from Greenwich would cut 15 minutes off that time.

Can't you get on their maillist by simply asking?

9. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    have you spoken to Mike Odierna?

Mike took over the CT chapter a bit over a year ago, and my impression is the number of activities and the amount of effort put in has gone up a lot.

I've also noticed an improvement in what had always seemed to be a very natural "integration" with ESR (especially on track days and major events). I also know that Suzy Hiniker (who runs "New England" overall from Boston) is very interested in being both inclusive as well as tighten up the integration opportunities.

FCA - like all "interest-based car clubs", probably has it's own set of personalities and politics, some that has brewed for decades and some probably just history. Who knows.

I've been in the FCA for a long time, started out in California and now here. We live in CT, but I've never felt any real "border wars", and have been welcome everywhere.

Perhaps all you're suggesting is being cross-listed on some mailing lists?

Regardless, on the New England front, if you have that strong opinion, I think it would be valuable to the club (such as it is) to speak live to Mike and Suzy and see what they can/will do to improve it.

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Matt I am the Long Island chapter president. FCA Empire State Region is divided into three chapters...Long Island chapter (Nassau/Suffolk, 5 boroughs of NYC and Westchester), Hudson Valley chapter and Upstate NY chapter. Parts of Westchester falls into the Hudson Valley chapter as well.
    Being that you are in Greenwich, you are much closer to the ESR so maybe you want to check out our calendar instead of New England's as italiancars suggests. If you send me your email address via PM I can include you in emails regarding our region. There is no way to make you a member in the ESR because your address falls under the New England region unfortunately. We have a jammed packed calendar of events for 2016 including a Bear Mountain rally which you can easily attend. There is also a fall rally in the Hudson valley area as well.
    Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks for the kind words Jonathan. I'm really trying my best.

11. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

I am sure the NE club is great for people who actually live up there. In fact, I've even seen pics and stories.

Mike did throw a great event this past fall at CCG (breakfast) and Miller (lunch with 488 unveiling). In fact, it was spectacular. The turn out was very very strong and that is more reason why I think more events in the Westchester/Fairfield area are needed and would be welcomed. I have no animosity towards NE I just find it to be sort of far.

12. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Thanks Pm sent.

13. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Matt,

I live in Southern Westchester and you are right, the Westchester/Southern CT area is way under-served as far as events are concerned. I started going to the events and Sunday morning cars and coffee with the Long Island guys and could not be happier. They are truly a great bunch to hang with and Steve is doing a great job of putting together some excellent events. It allows me to take a nice 40 minute drive on a beautiful morning, give the car some real exercise and meet with a great bunch of like minded people. I can't make it as often as I would like due to the distance but when I do it is worth it. You should definitely try and make it a few times this year. I think you will enjoy it.

14. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Well said, so now I don't feel crazy.

I've thought about heading to those cool bagel events in LI however I'm not crazy about the roads in Queens and LI with 19 inch wheels.

15. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    Come on down! Your trip will take you onto the cross island and the Grand Central/ Northern State parkway east. Not too many potholes on that route especially this year compared to previous years. I feel your pain as I'm on 20's.

Great bunch of guys and we're doing a go karting event this Sunday. You should come!

16. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Matt, I have to agree with you on this.

There are so many cars and enthusiasts in the Greenwich/Westchester area, and I do seem to notice a lack of impromptu or even regularly scheduled C&C, or other events, that are easily attended by members in the area. Again, as been said before, it does take someone in the area to step up and take the lead in these vacuum areas. Mike O. Has done a wonderful job lately, and should be commended. However, looking at these forums I see many events that I would like to attend, but driving my old car there takes more b*%#s than I currently have.

Yes, Long Island does seem to have a very active, well attended and organized schedule; but as everyone knows, getting from CT to Long Island involves extreme luck on the best of days. Furthermore, the roads getting there are marginally better than driving on the surface of the moon. Geographically close, but functionally, almost a world apart.

I would love to see a southwestern CT-Westchester-Putnam presence become more visible. I see no reason why we couldn't merge some of the Empire and NE regions together.

This is in no way a criticism of the FCA leadership! I am very grateful for all the hours the volunteers put forth to make this a fantastic club to be associated. Merely just trying to put forth suggestions for discussion.

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There will always be grey zones and piggy back areas unfortunately. Staten Island for one. Even though it's ESR, and part of the LI chapter, it's so far away from anything we do. Staten Island gravitates to the Penn/NJ region simply due to geography.
    But that being said, you guys from the close to NY part of CT... coming to our Sunday meets def might be a bit of a stretch to make regularly. But the three rallies I have you certainly can do. One to Montauk with an option to stay overnight, one to LI wine country, and the other is basically in your neck of the woods to Bear Mountain. Hudson Valley also has a Fall Drive that you can participate in and there is also a Spring drive also in the same area.
    We are also having an FCA Concours for the first time in years at Westbury Gardens in September. It's in western Nassau county. Won't take too long from Greenwich to get there on a Sunday morning.

18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #18 toggie, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    My understanding is that an FCA member can join a Region in addition to the Region they live in.
    There are fields in the National FCA database to support this.
    It is not a well-known feature and few people do it, but it does exist.

It typically requires an additional $35 per year for an extra Region.
    So, for Regions that charge $135 per year for dues, it would be $135 per year for your home Region and $35 more for a second Region.

I've heard of people doing this when they spend part of the year at their vacation home, e.g. in Florida.

Your email id and home address will be included in both Regions' email lists and mailings (assuming the Regions build and maintain their lists from the data in the National FCA database).

Once you belong to a second Region, I'm not sure how you designate a Chapter within that secondary Region since the Chapter assignments are also based on your home address within the FCA system.

19. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Assuming all of this is correct. It does not fix the intrinsic weak activity problem in the Westchester/Greenwich area that I raised and Evan and Troy agreed upon.

Maybe a few of us will have to find a decent bagel shop with ample parking to start some regular little events up here. Good thing Wide World has the Coffee and Cars breakfasts most months of the year.

20. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Evan, I agree completely. Going to LI is a hassle with these cars. Coming back can be worse. Too bad that Oyster Bay Rye bridge was never built.

Just driving around yesterday around town I saw 6 Ferrari's out cruising around town. With so many cars in town it's weird more events don't happen.

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Guys don't forget...just because you are a member in one region, it doesn't preclude you from attending events in other regions. It's as simple as looking up their websites and seeing what's going on.
    We just had a super fun go karting event today. Check out my post in this sub forum.

22. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Matt,

There should be many cars in your region and I'm certain that given the opportunity, they would welcome having a local gathering. That is precisely why I started the Bagels and Ferraris on Long Island nearly 2 years ago. I wanted to meet up with others and share our love of these cars. It started simply with some posts on FChat and over a couple of months grew to a regular gathering that draws 12-20 cars during the driving season. Now we have our own group - Long Island Ferrari Enthusiasts and our own FB page.

I would encourage you to find a location with ample safe parking. Ideally a coffee shop or bagel place so you can grab some breakfast. Then post an invite for a Sunday morning on FChat. It may take a couple of tries to build momentum but once word gets out, you should not have any problems .

We've had a great response on LI and I'm sure you can achieve similar results.

23. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Ok so I recently received the CT FCA email. Appears 10 events in CT with 4 in Fairfield County. Not too bad I guess. 1 event had no location yet so that may make it 5. I guess Mike is really trying. :)

I won't post the locations, dates and times to try to avoid the carparazi.