2016 - The Sunday Late Edition Meet | FerrariChat

2016 - The Sunday Late Edition Meet

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 348SStb, Feb 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I propose a change in time for the Sunday meets.

If it makes sense to wake up super early on a weekend and bolting out of the house, I can understand doing so on a Saturday... many people tend to go to sleep at a reasonable hour on Friday night after a long week of work. I could understand a 9am meet on a Saturday.

But many people choose to enjoy their Saturday nights out and then their Sunday mornings. To meet at 8:30-9am on Sunday means not being able to enjoy waking up with the wife, girlfriend, kids, etc. which is one of the attributes of a Sunday morning. I know my girlfriend was upset that I was out of bed at 7am for the times I attended the Sunday morning meets.

An 11:15am meet allows us to wake up at 9-9:45am and still attend the meet. Or wake up at 8am and enjoy the morning with the loved ones. Figure leave the house at 10:30-10:45am; arrive at 11:15am; leave by 12:30-1pm, and be back to the wife/girlfriend/kids for lunch.

I don't see why the need for such an early Sunday am meet. I imagine most of us would rather enjoy breakfast with our loved ones than wait on a very line at the bagel joint to eat alone or with the occasional F-Chat guy who wants to join for a bite.

Thoughts?

2. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    You make some very valid points.
    An 11:15 start time would definitely work well with my typical Sunday routine.
    Maybe an alternating schedule?

3. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I see your point, but as a C&C organizer, here are a few logistical problems:

Most of the venues we choose for C&Cs involve restaurants/coffee shops/some place that provides food, an otherwise public facility (park, school, etc.) or a dealer.

If it's the former (restaurant), those locations want us gone by 11:00 or Noon, because they more-than-likely open for business to the general public by that time or shortly thereafter. They don't need half, 3/4 or even their entire lot filled with people standing around talking for two hours.

In the case of parks, schools, etc., they are often booked for other events or fill up by noon or so, so we need to be gone by then.

In the case of dealers (at least in NJ), they are not allowed to be open on Sundays for "business," but they can open to host events. Still, they are not going to force their employees to work Sundays all day, so they want to be done by noon as well.

Here in Bergen County, we have the luxury of "Blue Laws," which for those that aren't aware, restrict non-essential businesses (i.e. everything but food providers) from opening on Sundays, so that permits me to start 'Cars and Caffe' later than most groups throughout the region.

You might imagine that it would be easy to start our C&C later then, since we can just use any shopping center we want, but that's far from the case. We need permits to use those facilities, and that often entails securing liability insurance, which I've been quoted as much as $35 per car or $2000 per hour, whichever comes first. Failure to obtain such coverage is considered "trespassing."

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant, but as much as I see your point, it is extremely difficult to pull off anything other than early in the morning or late at night - we are fortunate to be able to start Cars and Caffe as late as 9:30 AM.

Cheers,
    Tony

4. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    The later you leave the more traffic you will encounter. So much for an earthly morning run.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Are you really worried about traffic on a Sunday around 10:30am-1pm?

6. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#6 348SStb, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Hi Tony,

I see your points also, but I am generally not in agreement.

1) We don't have Blue Laws on Long Island/ New York State
    2) We* -- all of us, whether individually or together -- "We" **are** the "general public." Are we not? Our mentality on Long Island is we pay huge taxes and we will go damn well where we want with our cars and will take as many people with us as we wish. As long as a suffiociently large parking lot is chosen, I don't know anyone, F-car owner or cop, who would be worried about F-cars gathered together on a Sunday
    3) Permits? We don't need or use permits here

For Long Island gatherings: I propose the Farmingdale Airport Plaza as a location. Near Applebee's and way in the back of the Home Depot parking lot.

Click these links and check out the location in case you aren't familiar or you would enjoy a reminder:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Applebee's/@40.7385123,-73.4155471,3a,75y,246.14h,84.98t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sft9kkBdvTuE_0ujjmplvFw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dft9kkBdvTuE_0ujjmplvFw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D392%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D321.65903%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x517c92b21272c69f!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7358736,-73.4195716,3a,75y,272.43h,87.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skxq3_f1yIKvcBSOSKIFhug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Applebee's/@40.7361505,-73.4199589,16.75z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x517c92b21272c69f

That Airport Plaza is a **massive** location. It couldn't be more gigantic and more appropriate. Pretty centrally located. We could have 100 cars show up and we wouldn't even make a dent in any one of those 20 massive parking fields. We could have an entire section to ourselves, especially on Sunday morning around 11am.

At this location,
    1) The parking lots are never ever full - there is enormous parking
    2) There are many, many convenient stores around that folks can walk to and pickup goodies, run errands, or eat. This makes the run even more worthwhile; and the wives/girlfriends could even go to these convenient stores in the complex
    3) This location consists of fairly high class people, so no need to worry about the cars or bystanders' etiquette
    4) List of stores and restaurants is as follows: Applebee's, Grand China Buffet, Bellagio Pizzeria, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Bed Bath Beyond, Home Depot, Staples, Stew Leonard's, TJ Maxx, Modell's Sporting Goods, Farmingdale Multiplex Theatre

7. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Dave:
    You raise some interesting points, but YES there is a LOT of traffic on LI at that time. If I want to make a spirited run on LI, I generally leave my house between 7 and 7:30am on Saturday morning.

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Thanks bud. Regarding the traffic, I just don't agree. Been living here all my life. Can you be more specific? Sure, there can be some volume on local roads with traffic lights (shopping etc.) But the I-495, Northern and Southern Parkways, and every other highway is pretty free of traffic before 2pm.

Besides, this is a meet- not a run. If we were doing a run, then yes we would have to do it early in the morning. The commute to the site of the meet is hardly a run.

9. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    On any Sunday, the traffic on the LIE at noon is much heavier than the traffic at 9am. In any event, I agree that the Sunday event is a meeting in a parking lot, not a road rally or spirited run. But I really like a bagel on Sunday morning....

10. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    It maybe a meet but I like to have and enjoy a nice high speed drive to the meet. I would be miserable sitting in mall traffic both ways

Maybe we have 2 different ideas of traffic but I take the SSP pretty regularly and it's not clear before 2pm. When I drive to the Sunday meet from the queens border usually it has lite traffic where I can open up the car at high speeds without the danger of too many cars in the way but theres still some traffic.

Just this past Sunday I drove to the go karting event leaving at 9am and I could only open up in spurts because there was already traffic. When I left around 1pm or so the SSP was full of traffic.

Maybe we can schedule some midday meets for lunch occasionally?

11. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jeez. I live in Rockville Centre and I am about as substantial an expert on the Southern State Parkway as anyone on the planet. What you are saying is just not correct. Unless there's an incident, there is no way that the Southern parkway should or does have traffic or even significant moving volume on Sunday morning at 10:30am. I'm sorry - but no highways on Long Island have traffic any day of the week at 10:30am, and even less on Sundays. Period. End of Story. [How do we define "traffic?" For most people, it's heavy volume on the road that results in a moving speed of under the speed limit.]

Fast forward to 1pm, when it's time to leave, there might be some volume on the Southern Parkway, but not on the Northern Parkway, and not on the I-495. Let's not use the word "traffic" like we are a bunch of p*ssies. We aren't going to have clear, unused roads at our disposal at 8am or at any other time.

I don't know what your driver license looks like or how much you care about it, but mine has zero points and I haven't received a speeding ticket in NY for over 12 years. How in the world are you going to enjoy "high speed" driving on a Long Island highway, which at any given time of day is crawling with highway patrol? I love going fast probably more than the average next guy, but not in good ol' NY. Out of state - it's on. Try to outsmart the cops and pay the ticket when caught.

By the way, I think your idea for midday lunches on occasion is a good one.

12. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Makes me glad that I don't live on Long Island. :)

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I come from the east and take the NSP. There is substantially more traffic coming home at 12:30 than there is at 9:00 on the way there. All that said, it still is not too bad on the way home.
    On the way there, I take the opportunity to open the car up a little since there is not too many cars and very little risk. I hit speeds in excess of ....well never mind....;)
    Lets just say it's faster than most. I have not received a ticket in over 30 years, those that know me understand.
    I do like the lack of traffic in the morning, but if everyone wanted to change it, I wouldn't be the one complaining about it. I'm pretty flexible. I also wouldn't mind adding/changing the meet every now and then to include a lunch run at the airport. I think that it would be nice to head there for lunch as long as the cars are safe in the parking lot.

14. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    One of the reasons the Sunday meets are held at 9:00 am is so that people can be home by noon. Some have children, wives, baseball leagues etc. that require them to be available. The early start enables people to come and hang out for a couple of hours and not tie up the whole day.

This is especially relevant for those of us that come out most every week. If we tied up our Sundays we would have other conflicts at home. In this way by the time the families / girlfriends etc. wake up we are back.

I think doing a lunch rather than breakfast periodically is a good idea as well and we can certainly plan for that. We will have to locate a restaurant that can accommodate us and have secure parking facilities. Very doable and possible.

15. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1
    Also, I don't think 9am is that early to begin with.

16. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1 Billy. The Saturday idea would bring fewer cars as many of our group own their own businesses and work Saturdays.

17. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Who proposed a Saturday idea?

18. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    +1 I agree with Andy.

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #19 up4speed, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Saturday's are impossible for me, so I'm out if it's Saturday's!
    Why do we need all these changes if we always have anywhere from 12 to 25 people there? If you ask me that's a pretty good turnout that is convenient for most. I don't see that there is anything to change here.
    However, I do like the idea of adding a lunch run every now and then.

20. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The original post mentioned 9AM Saturday's.

21. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I reasoned "I could understand it [better] on a Saturday..."

I clearly didn't propose Saturday.

22. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Dave....why change a good thing? We are having upwards of 20 cars attending our meets on Sundays and it seems to be working out well. Besides, shoppers start hitting these parking lots just as we are starting to leave. Us getting there later would be more of an issue having our own area and non-group cars parking next to us and dinging our doors.
    For those coming from points west, traffic is 100% an issue as we go later in the day. Traffic sucks on LI as we all know. Maybe getting there at 11:15 am wont be an issue but leaving at 1-2pm, traffic will build at that time. This will affect the guys coming from Westchester/Queens without a doubt.
    I really enjoy the Sunday mornings. And getting there at 9-9:30am is certainly not too early. It's one day a week. It depends on the weather. It only goes on basically for the driving season. 2015 we were blessed with great weather with only one or two rain outs. We kept in going into the first week of January which certainly in an anomaly.
    For me, and I'm sure many other will agree with me, anything later simply won't work. I leave and return and my wife and kids have just got up and barely knew I was gone. It's a win-win all around.

23. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I just realized the Saturday. What???? I'm out on Saturdays. No way I can make it anytime. I think we should leave it the way it is. We get around 20 cars the way it is. If someone thinks that on a different day and time can get more people. Go ahead. You are loosing one for sure.

24. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

You didn't read my post carefully; you read someone else's, which incorrectly suggested that I proposed Saturday.

25. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1. Very well said.