New Jersey relaxes emissions testing... | FerrariChat

New Jersey relaxes emissions testing...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by lopena, Apr 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    ...on older cars built in 1995 or earlier. No more emissions inspections required effective May 2016. Rationale is that these older cars represent a very small percentage of the cars on the road and there are significant cost savings to the State in giving these cars a free pass.

Alan
    Fair Haven, NJ

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Woo hoo! He's right.
    State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Cessation of Tailpipe Emission Testing

Beginning May 1, 2016, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is changing the inspection requirements for certain vehicles. Due to the cessation of tailpipe emission testing, the following passenger vehicles now will be exempted from inspection:
    Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
    Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
    Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.

Additionally, owners of the exempted vehicles will be sent a notice (below) six (6) to eight (8) weeks before their vehicle would have been due for inspection. Owners should remove the inspection sticker once it expires and keep this notice with their vehicle.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Great - now if they could only do same with some other ridiculous regulations.

4. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Wow - this is more of a cost savings move than anything else. Anything without ODBII essentially is exempt.

As much as I complained before, I miss the full inspection. I can't tell you how many vehicles in NJ don't have working tail-lights.

I guess I no longer need to worry about my 348 passing - woot!

Erik

5. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    This is what's crazy: despite dropping all the safety stuff and now all sniffer tests, I just drove by the Eatontown inspection station and the line was 20+ cars long, same as ever. An inspection should take 90 seconds.

OH, and RE-inspections now have to be done at a private inspection facility, on your dime.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #6 ClydeM, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    So it's a sticker saying no sticker needed?

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    It's a placard to be shown to any officer that pulls you over for a missing sticker. The old sticker is to be removed (lest you be pulled over for an expired sticker anyway).

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Great news for obdI guys. Wheres my 1995 m3 :(

10. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The manager at the Eatontown DMV Inspection Station once told me that to avoid a long wait I should show up "mid-month, mid-week, mid-day"...works like a charm.

11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    The only place on Earth I found more demoralizing for the soul than a NY DMV...

... was a NJ DMV :)

Both are places to avoid at all costs

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Nj dmvs used to be horrendous but no longer. Everytime i go I'm in and out in 10' or less!

13. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

Sounds too good to be true... 10 minutes or less you say :) When you drink beer, do you happen to drink Dos Equis?

My last visit was 2008... Lodi... 2.5 hours...

Glad to hear they got quicker!

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The one in Secaucus is always quick. But they don't check squat any longer. This bad. Most old cars are unsafe now. A cop can still write you up for violations so this makes zero sense.