In New York end May | FerrariChat

In New York end May

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by davebuchner, Apr 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Hi NY F-chatters.

I am traveling to New York with my wife for a week at the end of May, 3 days as part of a group tour with my company, then 4 days at leisure. NY is one of my favorite cities - spent a week there in summer 2005.

Will probably do most of the touristy things such as Statten Island, Empire State Building with the group and have done them before. We are staying downtown near Times Square.

During our 4 days at leisure there a couple of things we need to do - run through Central Park, go to the Twin Towers memorial, head off to one of the outlet villages to stock up on clothes esp for the kids, but I am looking for suggestions from some locals...

Any car related places to see? Museums, collections, high end dealers, especially in Manhattan?

Outlet villages: last time we spent a day out at Woodbury Commons and couldn't belive how cheap everything was compared to back home - 70% less! Is there Somewhere better or perhaps closer to downtown Manhattan?

Also, any interesting places we should try and see off Manhattan - given that we only have a short time. Parks, boat trips, restaurants, shops, etc.

Any other suggestions are welcome...

Thank you.

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

An amazing high-end car dealer is Manhattan Motorcars. They have two locations:
    11th Avenue at 51st Street
    11th Avenue at 27th Street.
    I highly recommend you visit both.

If you only have 4 days, I recommend you skip Staten Island altogether.

Definitely visit the Observatory at the new World Trade Center tower. The views are amazing and this is a very entertaining place. I would skip the empire State Building altogether.

Steakhouses you must visit:
    -Wolfgang's Steakhouse (they have five locations - choose Park Avenue or Times Square)
    -Mastro's Steakhouse
    I really would say both of these is a must. Each offers excellent seafood as well.

Since you are staying in Times Square, there's one wonderful restaurant there I must recommend. It is not fancy; it is just a barbecue food place that has common decor. It is called Virgil's Real Barbecue. I am not joking when I say there is no place in the world that has better barbecue food. Be careful - it's very easy to overeat when visiting this place!
    The smoked chicken wings, smoked brisket, etc etc will be the best you could ever eat.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Virgil's+Real+BBQ/@40.7568658,-73.9875233,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e673ab7efcef35:0xab8e64454caf5ffd

A final recommendation I have for eating would be the Churrascaria Plataforma. It is a Brazilian Steakhouse. It's the best implementation of this concept in the world in my opinion. Very large place, live instrumentals, excellent execution. They bring you unlimited portions of over 10 different types of meats. The salad bar is included and offers excellent appetizers, seafood, etc. Be sure to make a special request to your head waiter for filet mignon and white cheese. These are not brought to the table unless requested.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Churrascaria+Plataforma/@40.7620007,-73.9898357,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c25856c69dd83f:0x84cd5f63d6887f2c

I hope you are a meat eater!!

The Ferrari North America official showroom and store is on Park Avenue at 55th Street. A small place but interesting for you if you want to see official F-car automobiles on display and gadgets to purchase.

At night, visit the very very popular rooftop bar and lounge at 230 Fifth Avenue. Views of the Empire State Building and much of Manhattan.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/230+Fifth/@40.7441112,-73.9902977,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c259a665e7ab95:0x41220b1fd8cc58c9
    If you go here after 11pm, you may find yourself waiting on a lengthy line. From 9:00-10:15 you shouldn't have a problem. Entry is free.

Also, visit Tao restaurant downtown at night for drinks before going to dinner somewhere else. This really is a must. There's no nonsense involved to go to the very large and popular lounge/bar area for drinks. The venue is beautiful and the people watching is first class. It's actually right across the street from Chelsea Market. Don't go here before 8:30pm. The food is adequate not excellent but the service suffers since the place is always so busy. Up to you whether you would want to eat there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tao+Downtown/@40.7423783,-74.0064742,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c259bf2395a229:0xc20cee070a2c537

Woodbury Commons would be your best Outlets shopping experience. It's not terribly close, but close enough I suppose. Stores in Manhattan that offer great merchandise at good prices are TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Century 21. You can look these up on Google Maps. Also, a really cool store is "The Container Store." You may wish to check that out. A very very cool store.

Visit Chelsea Market for lunch or for an afternoon stroll and/or snack. Best Gelato in the city as well as all kinds of restaurants and interesting shops.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chelsea+Market/@40.742489,-74.0082086,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c259bf144c69c3:0x7e61762e972dc0a2

Walk The Highline if you have time. I personally would do this instead of Central Park.
    Visit the High Line | Friends of the High Line

Battery Park is also very nice. Views of the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Battery+Park/@40.7032815,-74.0192166,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c25a12f88ba2ad:0xbe70465e98439c12

Visit Bryant Park in midtown. It is a very popular and wonderful place.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bryant+Park/@40.7536005,-73.9854213,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c259aae7a0b1bd:0xb49cafb82537f1a7

3. racer959

racer959 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    NJ
    Yes, I would skip Staten Island. I would go into Brooklyn for some good pizza. That's if you like pizza.

4. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Look up Manhattan Classic Car Club. They have a new location on a pier on the west side. Some cool exotic and classic cars in a dramatic location. Enjoy NYC!

Classic Car Club Manhattan

5. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    The Staten Island Ferry is the best free ride you will ever have.

Joe

6. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Thank you all very much - I am definitely a big pizza and red-meat fan!!!

348SStb - thank you for the very detailed info - much appreciated and way more info than I expected - thank you!

I believe I visted the Ferrari North America store last time I was in NY in 2005 - we were based at The Peninsula on 55th and 5th and I remember visiting a Ferrari dealer one or two blocks east of there. They had a F1 engine on display which blew me away....

Those rooftop bars and restaurants that you suggested sound great.

I reckon Statten Island or at least a boat trip around there will be on the cards during the 'work' part of the trip as I work for a company called 'Liberty' so the tie-in is obvious..

Thank you phishgoldy - I have made contact with the Classic Car Club Manhattan - looks like a wonderful place.

I am looking forward to my time in the big apple tremendously. Will let you know how it goes.

Regards
    Dave

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Many thanks for the infos, Dave... We had 8 nights in NYC in 2013. Next August we'll visit this fantastic City again. With 13 nights, we'll have plenty of time to discover more places. Last time, the walk on the High Line was one of our favorites. Yes, Bryant Park is a nice place. And a Sunday morning at Central Park...

Many pics and infos here:
    Old Pics New York City! - Page 115 - SkyscraperCity

8. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
  9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'd second that. Although DeFonte's opened a place in SI (I'm a big sandwich / hoagie guy).

Pizza in NYC is really worth hunting down, particularly in Brooklyn. DiFara's or Totonno's - great choices. L&B if you like "sicilian" (or "square") pie.

Also, Peter Luger is in Brooklyn, probably no better steakhouse in the area (some rave, some say overrated, but for steak - it's fantastic.)

Have fun - NY is a great place, you could almost walk blind someplace and see / eat something interesting!!

10. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Two suggestions:

1) Quality Meats — A lot of people like the other steakhouses in New York but, frankly, they're not all that great, super overpriced and are not that interesting. Go here if you're looking for a special meal.

2) For lunch I do not think there is a better spot than the Mandarin Oriental Lobby Lounge. Good food and drink and if get a seat by the window you've got a 35th floor view of Central Park. Doesn't get much better than that unless you're in the Solow building.

11. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Thank you everyone - 12 days til we go - can't wait.

12. TooTimidAndCheap

Jul 19, 2015
    I think you're mixing up Staten Island with Ellis Island.
    Staten Island is bedroom community that zero tourists visit.
    Ellis Island has the big tourist statue.

13. Gator1

Gator1 Karting

Sep 23, 2014
    Westport, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Herm
    Hit the Ferrari store on Park and 54th. I might be off a block or 2. Go to Ralph Laurens restaurant.

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Dave, I just shot you a PM.

15. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Not sure how far Woodbury commons are, but about 90 minutes out onto Long Island are the Riverhead Tanger Outlets. If you get out there early Southampton is only about another 25 minutes further east. May be nice to take a ride around the village, have lunch and check out the homes on Meadow Lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    #16 davebuchner, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    So I am sitting at the lounge at JFK after a hectic and whirlwind 6 days in your city. Although the first three days were quite structured around business conference - had some amazing experiences in those three days.

Highlights of the first three days included :

- A black tie dinner for 500 people in the Cipriani opposite the NYSE bull.
    - A boat ride on the Hornblower Serenity from the Hudson River, round the Brooklyn bridge, Statue of Liberty and then moored off the Statue of Liberty for a 10 minutes fireworks display organized by our company!
    - Staying in the Marriott in Times Square with a view of the ball drop from our dining room.

Also guest speakers were interesting and inspirational especially 1978 world surf champ Shaun Tomson who is a native of my city as a kid (Durban) and as a kid was a hero of mine.

Then moved on to Lexington avenue, shopped it up at Woodbury Commons, and did the 9/11 memorial and museum, as well as the Highline. After the Highline had lunch in the Chelsea Market and bumped into and had a chat with Jane Krakowski from 30 Rock. Saw her again 30 minutes later and had to tell her to stop following me. Luckily she laughed.

The 9/11 museum was a very powerful experience. My wife and I spent 3 hours there and as the exhibits get more and more personal the further you go underground - we eventually had enough. The most heart wrenching for me was listening to voice messages from the victims on the planes and in the buildings.

Drinks at the Baccarat, casual dinner at the Spotted Pig in TriBeCa, hot dogs on the sidewalk, lunch at Hillstone Restuarant on Madison, running through Central Park.

Crossed the George Washington bridge an hour before that plane went down in the Hudson on Friday.

Also early yesterday evening down near W 11th Street saw this guy in the Hudson, standing on the bollards on the old piers - next thing there were 4 cop cars, 10 ambulances, 2 fire trucks, two police launches, and 2 police helicopters ! I kid you not!

Had a thoroughly good time, but boy it is expensive here! Dinner and wine perhaps 3 to 5 times prices back home.

Most of all I love the vibe in the city, it has a fantastic energy, and I hope to be back.

17. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yeah; probably the mayor...

Glad you had a good time. NYC is a fantastic place.