rent a car in NY for a roadtrip | FerrariChat

rent a car in NY for a roadtrip

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by bvdp, May 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bvdp

bvdp Karting

May 30, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart vdp
    All,

I am Bart from Belgium. In July I have planned a trip to the US. First a visit of NY for 5 days (July 4 to 9); afterwards a road trip. In general to the north ,Newport, Boston, near the Canadian border, Niagra Falls, under the lakes to Chicago, back south to Washington, up to Philadelphia and back to NY JFK. Total time from July 9 to 31. I wanted to rent a car at JFK but found out it seems to be the most expensive place to rent a car in the US. Can anyone suggest a cheaper solution? And no, I do not want to rent a Ferrari :). I was thinking 40 to 50 dollar/day with insurance.
    Any suggestion what will be worthwhile to visit for a petrol head during the road trip are also very well appreciated.

Regards, Bart

2. photi

photi Rookie

Dec 10, 2013
    Nassau County LI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Try renting from Newark Airport. The rates are much better and it would take you about the same effort as JFK from Manhattan. Check Expedia,Hotwire websites. You should see if your credit card has insurance that covers auto rentals. That would save you a large amount on such a long rental.

3. bvdp

bvdp Karting

May 30, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart vdp
    checked Hotwire and found a car rent in Mamaroneck that was a lot cheaper. Transport from NY to Mamaroneck shouldn't be a problem I was told. Free cancellation so time to sort it out. Thanks for the tip.
    Any suggestions on car related things to visit?

regards, Bart

4. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Bart - not sure if I'm reading this thread correctly - are you intending on landing at JFK, and then picking up your rental car in Mamaroneck?

That's not exactly convenient.

5. photi

photi Rookie

Dec 10, 2013
    Nassau County LI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I believe that the OP is spending a few days in NYC before picking up his rental. BTW since you mentioned that Newport is on your itinerary do check out the Audrain Auto museum. It will be extremely busy in Newport in July so expect the parking and accommodations to be difficult.

6. bvdp

bvdp Karting

May 30, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart vdp
    That is right; I land at JFK on July 4th and stay a few days in NY. Pick up a car in Mamaroneck on July 9th.
    I will check out the Audrian Auto museum. Seems they have an exhibition on 'speed machines'. :). Thanks for the tip.

Bart

7. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Check out silver car. They have a fleet of Audi A4 around $50/day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Maybe there is a train to mameroneck to and from NYC...

Maybe a bus? Or even an uber car although that might be quite expensive..

Should be a fun time in amErica on July 4 th..

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    On July 4th? That's our Independence Day! I do believe there is always a fireworks show over the harbor on July 4th ... Statue of Liberty in the background, boats everywhere. By all means go see it for a genuine slice of life in the US.
    I hope you enjoy it here and take home some fond memories of America!

10. bvdp

bvdp Karting

May 30, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart vdp
    We travel on July 4th. We are at JFK in the early evening but for me it will be way over midnight. I suppose the only thing I will enjoy is a bed :). We will see how much energy is left after travelling.

Bart

11. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Metro North out of Grand Central will get you to Mamaroneck Station. I think its the line that heads into Connecticut.