The "other" Morley Safer | FerrariChat

The "other" Morley Safer

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by tuttebenne, May 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No doubt many of us know that Morley Safer passed away yesterday at 84 years of age. Most of us associate Mr Safer with being part of the hugely successful "60 Minutes" franchise. Those from the boomer era remember his reporting on the nastiness that was the Vietnam War; and he did it the old fashioned way, by embedding with the troops. Morley had a long career and was a celebrated journalist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/business/media/morley-safer-dies.html

But did you know Morley was also "one of us"; a car guy? Many of his 60 Minutes segments were shot from his office and occasionally you could catch a glimpse of an F40 poster up on his wall. Ferraris were special to him. I remember many FCA events when Morley would show up with his silver 308 GTS; big grin on his face and full of enthusiasm. We did at least three track events each year at Bridgehampton in those days and Morley was there when his schedule permitted. I'll always have an indelible image in my mind of him standing in the driver's meeting, driving suit on, just one of the guys, having to listen to a scolding being doled out by the organizers (a thankless task).

Another great memory of him was during a session out on the track. He was leading and I was maybe fifty feet off his bumper in excess of 100 mph as we headed up the main straight and through turns one and two. As we approached three, a right hander, the presence of all that drivetrain behind the cockpit was more than his rear tires could handle. The ass end of his 308 let go and his car spun, abruptly stopping on the road - exactly on the road - right in the middle of the road. Those who do track events know how a lot can happen in a very short period of time but it all seems to be in slow motion. Well there he was in the middle of the road, and since the GTS roof panel was off, I could see his face through his visor as he realized he was okay, the car was okay, but "oh **** there was a car behind me". There were at least two sets of bugged out eyes between us. But since we had been approaching a corner I had been on the brakes anyway when he spun. With maybe 40 mph scrubbed off by that time, it wasn't as bad as it may have looked and I got around safely. Back in the paddock after the session, we both had a good laugh about the incident, and it was the reason we would smirk whenever we ran across each other after that.

Farewell Morley; you were the "real deal" and a great car guy. They don't make journalists like you any more. Someday I will get another shot at trying to pass you heading toward turn 4. Until then, Rest In Peace.

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

He was a true journalist, which is something which seems to be getting harder to find. Saw the piece CBS did last Sunday on him, special person.

Having worked in publishing for a time, it is trully sad how news is such fluff and there's nothing hard hitting, even the supposed hard hitting shows on Sunday morning are garbage.

Regarding Vietnam, I was speaking with somone last week at how the networks do not even cover the current conflicts, where the US has troops involved. It is all relagated to their editorialized crap cable networks. Pathetic.

We need more Morley Safers and Tim Russerts. RIP.