The scenery is getting nice | FerrariChat

The scenery is getting nice

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ClydeM, Oct 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #1 ClydeM, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  3. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I was very near that road last Sunday, it was perfect.

DavidJ

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    We were driving around Warwick all Saturday morning. We started in Harriman then went over to NJ then back in NY and back through Harriman home. After today's rain most of the leaves are down here though.

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Next year we really should arrange an Fchat rally to Warwick Winery.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    While up in Warwick, I went to pick up a case of Doc's Pear Cider about 2pm. It was packed! 20 cars deep on that road to the entrance, 15 min. wait, 10 cars waiting to pay for parking.

I love the place, but not that much. It's become way to yuppy. I'll get the cider after apple season.

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

It's apple picking season!!! The whole area was crazy. We got on the road at 8 and there was no one in Harriman. We had such a good drive at that time. We stopped and everyone's brakes were smoking cos we couldn't get heat in the tires... Good stuff! By 9 the traffic was getting bad further west. We drove past Maskers as they opened at 10... the kid on the gate was beckoning us in... a line of sports cars and bikes. We drive past and his face was like WTF. As if someone was in Warwick and did not want to pick apples!

My wife's old pediatrician (the doc in docs draft) and his wife own the Winery now. I remember years ago she took me there when we were dating and they had parking for 10 cars and did not serve food. They've done a great job picking that place up but I agree it's best to pick your time to avoid the crowds.

Ps you can get doc's draft at Whole Foods and a few other supermarkets around here but probably not the perry.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    You have to post up these small group drives!
    This was the 1st year I didn't take the 308 up into the fields. The logistics just didn't work out.
    Ok, so we get preferred parking next time we go. Let's set a date!
    I go back that far as well. No café. No wine tasting, they were just starting up their distillery with one massive kettle.

Though I Have to say, their café is top notch when its not crowded

I've heard there is another winery in the area is almost as good. I'll dig up the name, I have yet to try it.

And today, with the rain & lots of leaves down, the season is almost over :'(

9. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #9 F SPIDER, Oct 26, 2016
  10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Lovely picture! We have some nice roads around here - if I get a chance this weekend, I'll take some pics...

11. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #11 F SPIDER, Oct 28, 2016
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow, looks like a good year. I remember once taking my daughter to visit a boarding school in western Mass. We came around a corner just as the wind hit this tree of gold...

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Well of course. You'll notice that tree is a Chameleonis Deciduous tree, aka Chameleon tree. You severely stressed it as it tried to blend in to your Spyker hence the dumping of its leaves. PETT (or People for the Ethical Treatment of Trees(or is it Association? PITA)) will be knocking on your door shortly

14. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #14 ClydeM, Oct 29, 2016
    I took another ride. almost 70. Gorgeous. But the colors are gone :(

So I decided to take a detour where I know the colors are always gorgeous :
    Wide World of Cars.
    What's the first thing I saw? the new Levante. all 430HP of it.

Gary Konner walked up to me to introduce himself. That's never happened before. Usually salespeople are way too busy. I knew Justin, Dean, and a bunch of the crew, but salespeople seemed aloof. Gary was incredibly nice. He showed me the new showroom, the new room where you build your car for order, several cars (458s), tempted me with a gorgeous white F12.

Then he asked if I wanted to see the candy store. Who's going to say no???
    Upstairs we went. A LaFerrari in yellow livery. Absolutely gorgeous. That's the 3rd I've seen and they are amazing. Beautiful. a new white 488 spyder. I love the 488. White? not so much so. But its stunning. and several other surprises in the work bays & storage.

Kudos to Gary. If you get a chance, stop in, check out the updated digs and see what they have on the floor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Went on another today at lunchtime for 60 minutes... no-one on these roads today.
    Tiorati Brook Road was enjoyable where it runs along side the river... the foliage is still looking good there (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2549982,-74.0658695,15z). Sorry... did not stop for a photo though.

I was using podkeeper.com to manage our little group of driving locals. However, I am switching back to a simple email/SMS list to send out details with a route a few days before. We've done a few this year mainly around NNJ and Rockland County but also further up the Hudson valley to Shawangunk and across into Westchester. The challenge is finding nice roads that are not popular. We use inRoute (inRoute) to plan and share the routes.

We generally leave from close to Harriman park and cancel if the conditions are too damp. The usual crowd is currently more sports car than exotic. If anyone is interested for next year (not sure if we will get another in this year but I'm hopeful) PM me and I'll add/remove your details on the list.

David