Ohio Bill to Require only one license plate | FerrariChat

Ohio Bill to Require only one license plate

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by IDriveM5, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Not that I much care for the front/back two-plate scheme (my cars have back plates only), but finally Ohio might be "getting with the one-plate program!" It'd be nice for them to have one less reason to issue me a citation!

OH bill would require only 1 license plate | www.daytondailynews.com

Oh, and I guess they're looking to save some money too. That'll be the icing on the cake, if you ask me! I think front plates SUCK.

Have a good one!

2. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Its about damn time. I never ran a front plate on my old M3 and my last two audi's. Plenty of speeding tickets and suprisingly it never was an issue *knock on wood*. BUt i know people who have caught ****. My buddies dad got cited for it on his 96 Viper GTS and he basically told the cop to go drill holes in the front of his 80,000 car. Its a stupid antiquated law that needs to go. Just useless.

3. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I hope it goes through, but I don't have front plates on any of my cars anyway.

4. Craig Reed

Craig Reed Karting

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Craig Reed
  5. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hmm....this has been brought up numerous times in the past, if memory serves me correctly, and never gained any traction because of the opposition from LE.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the bill passes!

6. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Ohio cops...

Just another reason to not live there.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    A couple years ago on a holiday weekend in my California I was stopped by a OHP Sergeant for my front plate. He didn't know that most OHP patrolmen don't bother. As he pulled behind me (I was doing about 68 mph in a 65 headed in to Columbus) I simply immediately took the Cali to the shoulder and got on the brakes in a medium sort of way. Glancing in the mirror I saw him going sideways trying not to hit me so I got on the gas a bit then got on the brakes VERY gently.

We chatted about 30 minutes. I showed him my retired military ID card and did whatever else to try to get no ticket. After he figured out I was not a total butthole he told me that when I stood on the brakes he had a pile of crap fall from his right seat. I told him to be careful stopping a Ferrari as I was barely on the brakes and saw his dilema so I got on it a bit. He ended up giving me a Defective Vehicle notice that I needed to do nothing with.

Just a little more to the story :). He was pretty impressed with the Cali so I asked him if he ever comes to Toledo. He said yes. I told him if he comes up I will take him for a spin, and if his wife is along I'd take her for a spin too. I then said if she is good looking I would let her drive it and if she is REALLY good looking I'd let Him drive it. He then pulled his wallet out and started showing me her photos to see if she was good looking enough:D. It was classic!

Rick

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
  9. johnnyo

johnnyo Karting

May 8, 2009
    Does anybody have a update on the license plate bill? Sure hope it passes!

10. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    As a Michigan resident, I hope this passes as well.

Just like in Canada, having no front plate immediately ID's us as out-of-towners so possibly more likely as an economic profit center!

Brian

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Michigan roads provide a profit center for the Tire Rack :D, couldn't resist although recently I have had two flats within Ohio!

Rick

12. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Any updates on what is going on with this?

13. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    This would be awesome, since blurring out plates in videos is a major pain in the ass and this just makes it that much harder!

But in all seriousness, for your guys' sake, I hope they ditch the front plate law. It definitely interrupts the flow of the lines on the car, as well as other annoyances.

Chris

14. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    It's not a HUGE deal - I've been running without front plates on my cars for years and years now. I haven't had one single ticket for that reason.

15. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Not all of us are that fortunate. I was ticketed four times this past summer, all by one cop, all in my hometown. It's a big deal for those of us who live in areas where cops enforce the stupid law.

16. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    That's tough luck man. Well, there are plenty of "aftermarket" solutions out there for folks who don't want to permanently install one on the front bumper (though your pesky LEO might take exception to that anyway)! Have you tried something like that?

For us 360 and F430 guys, I believe a company makes a bracket which simply screws into the toe-hook threaded hole. Good luck!

17. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    +1 Many good threads on this. Here is the result of a quick search:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/414555-i-bought-toe-hook-front-license-plate-holder-dynamic.html

Unfortunately it seems like you're just about on a first name basis with this lovely fellow, so a more permanent solution than a tow hook mount might be prudent. But if you think he'd be content with you pulling it out of your trunk and mounting it to (temporarily) satisfy the law, which is the intent of tow hook mounts, then that's a great solution.

18. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    I just chalk it up as the cost of driving a sports car and pay the stupid fine. Front plates ruin the look of the car imo. After 4 tickets, I have a pretty good idea of where he patrols. I'm sure there's a couple more tickets with my name on them, waiting for me this summer though. It just sucks because my neighboring cities' PDs don't care, Highway Patrol doesn't care... Really nowhere else from my experience. Needless to say, I'm hoping this bill passes. Although I'm not getting my hopes up. I drive a GT-R and Viper RT-10 btw.

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I read something from the Ohio House yesterday that looked like they were trying to pass it, going into effect in 2017!!! How stupid is THAT?

Rick

20. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Wow, that sucks.
    Give us a glimmer of hope, and then make us wait forever for it to take effect...

They seem like they moved MUCH faster with increasing the speed limit on selected motorways from 65 to 70 mph...

21. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Maybe you should take him out to lunch.....and for a ride in the Viper.