Detroit area Italian restaurant gatherings! | FerrariChat

Detroit area Italian restaurant gatherings!

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by don_xvi, Jan 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    What do you Detroit folks think about gathering once a month at a different Italian restaurant throughout the driving season?

Maybe decide on something like the 3rd Saturday April-October for lunch? I'm sure we could come up with seven places around town with good food & good parking. Suggestions?

Mangia!

2. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Don,
    Sounds good to me!

Coratti's in Milford and Maisano's in Novi are good but the parking at both are poor. Volare in Wixom is too expensive. Guess I am not much help.

3. Sierramadre

Sierramadre Rookie

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan
    La Bisteca in Plymouth might be an option. Giovanni's in Detroit. Gratzi in Ann Arbor. Picano's in Rochester. Parking is likely to be a bit of a challenge everywhere.

4. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm in. Would Vincetta garage be considered italian? :D

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Parking is not an issue at loccino in Troy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Great idea. I have pictures of mine if front of the Roma Cafe in Detroit.

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Not taking it south of 8. Make that 9

8. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    lol. the vice president just ate there last week.

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I will try to come from Toledo. I may have to do the drive in my wife's Porsche to scope out all the damn potholes first, then drive the Ferrari :D Four tires and two wheels is a bit too much even though I continue to drive those same Michigan roads to my R/C field.

Rick

10. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    I'm interested as well.

11. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
  12. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Cool, we're getting a good list to work through!

Otherwise, it'll be a 7 month-long tour of Olive Gardens around metro Detroit!

13. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I drive to Windsor all the time the summer. (Definitely south of 8 Mile :) ) It's a shame it's across a border, there's a 'Little Italy' area just out of downtown. It feels at home to drive through a predominantly Italian area in a Ferrari.

As far as the Roma is concerned, the area is guarded as they offer valet parking. We could probably pay a fee and park ourselves in the fenced-in parking they use. Also, it's in the middle of the market. After 5 pm, it's a ghost town and not ghetto. I don't have a problem driving around that area, but I certainly understand how some would.

Regards,
    Brian

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Last time I crossed the border in my California I was given the third degree, almost simply turned around but I was visiting a friend so I dealt with the badgering of the Canadian border person. I'm not sure I want to deal with that again, almost like we were at war.

Rick

15. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Rick, I find that funny. Although I must say I've had a much easier time entering Canada than entering the US. I also had a strange thing happen in my car, although it is a lowly Mondial. Coming back to the states, I got asked all the usual questions. Then the guy says 'What did you pay for your car?' I first said, 'Excuse me?!?' He said, 'What did you pay for your car?' I said, 'I don't see what that has to do with my citizenship', knowing full well if it came to it I had all the proper paperwork to prove everything was legit. He says 'So your not going to tell me?' Sensing I was about to be pulled over, I just spat out a figure, the first thing that came to my head, but not outrageous. That was it, he let me through. I thought about if for a while afterward. What if I had said $100k, or $5k? Did he really have any idea what a car he didn't know the name of (I surmise), at that age, is worth? I wish I had said something like $28,153.87. And a half! I love being a smart a$$ to the border people as long as I know I have nothing that would give real trouble. It has only happened to my one time, and I got asked the dumbest question I've ever been asked by someone standing close enough to the car to touch it - "Is there anyone else in the car with you?" I took a look over both shoulders to be sure, and said, "No". I got pulled, they held me a bit, looked over my paperwork a few times and let me go without even touching the car.

Regards,
    Brian

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I've been told Tre Monte on Big Beaver in Troy is supposed to be very good,but have not tried it personally

17. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Brian, we certainly had much better luck when we crossed the border a few years ago! One of the guys was actually an enthusiast and just started talking cars with us. But I haven't always had that kind of luck. I've been interrogated before and I absolutely hate it.

Chris

18. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Interrogation is the game. I'll give them some credit and say that they are trained to be *******s. I once drove thru Canada from NY coming back to Mi. After telling the dude my reason for entry, he told me "do I drive through your country to get home?". I turned to him and said "I don't even know how to answer you". That was a mistake.

19. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've heard of a few others that have that experience. I'm sorry. I've only had hassles with them on the American side. But I'm originally from Canada and my paperwork says so. I say I'm going to visit my parents and I have no problem. I've had more problems with the Canadian locals. I know know they're saying "Go Home American", and I have no way to tell them "Hey, I'm one of you'ze".

Chris, we were outlaws. We drove through barriers to get pictures at the edge of the river where only people are supposed to be. And I think they knew we were honest when we told them we were only going through the border taking pictures, and your camera was in your hand.

Brian

20. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Must be a special case for me. Australian with Green Card and a Canadian Work Permit. Here's another one for ya. I usually ONLY hand my Green card over when crossing boarders. Rules changed regularly but only GC required as of late. Last time the prick said "next time hand over your Passport and Green Card or I'll kick you out of my ****ing country". No kidding man.

21. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sam - We need to get together for a drive.

22. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You're on. :)

23. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    how about johnny carino's in commerce township?

parking is pretty decent.

24. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Since a number of the suggestions came with a disclaimer about parking constraints, we might wind up finding that it would be better to do less of the "really cool family place"s and more of the bigger things that are in shopping centers...

25. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm serious about Vincetta Garage. We could probably arrange to have ALL our cars in front.