Sinkhole at the National Corvette Museum Swallows 8 Special Corvettes | FerrariChat

Sinkhole at the National Corvette Museum Swallows 8 Special Corvettes

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by nsortor12, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Sad.

And we thought that only happened in Detroit

2. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    saw it on TV. CRAZY!

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Museum is evidently still open, but I don't think I would want to visit without a hard hat (and some of you know my feelings about helmets!)

4. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    There is a pot hole on Merriman road that looks bigger than that!

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #6 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    That sucks big time. For the engineers out there. Should they have known about this sink hole prior to building? It's huge. I assume these are caused by falling water tables or that they once held water? What a shame to have happened. I can imagine the shock and disbelief when the GM or head of security, whomever, looked at their smart phone when they received the alarm and first saw the videos. How bout getting that call the next day or that night and you are in charge of the car collection at GM? What? It's not April.....tell me you are joking.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/us/national-corvette-museum-cars-fall/

Sinkholes at the Motorsports Park aren't really a concern, Frassinelli said. Several holes were found during construction and were made harmless, she said, but Florida sinkholes are infamous for gobbling up homes in the state.

Using remote-controlled drones, geologists and engineers from nearby Western Kentucky University have already explored the sinkhole and determined that the Sky Dome suffered no structural damage, Frassinelli said. "There's a cave down there," she said, adding that the museum is only a short drive away from Mammoth Cave National Park

Motion detectors alerted security that something was amiss shortly after 5:30 a.m. Wednesday, said museum spokeswoman Katie Frassinelli. An employee who first walked into the room "has been in shock all day," she said.

6. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
  7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    We were just there, it was amazing: all the usual car exhibits were empty, got to the room just outside the sinkhole where the rescued cars were, it was full. They were not viewing the survivors (that need little/no resto work) but the ones that were partially/fully demolished.