Toledo salt report | FerrariChat

Toledo salt report

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by TBigs, Mar 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I'm very tempted to get my car out of hibernation and back on the road, but I've been traveling a lot over the last few weeks so I haven't been able to keep track of how much rain we've been getting to wash away the road salt. I also don't get around town a lot, so no chance to evaluate. How's it looking out there?

2. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    If Cleveland is any indicator (which I think it is, and I've made the trip between Cleveland and Toledo over 100 times), stay off the roads. Still salty over here. Not enough rain, and still freezing temperatures.

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Its not awful. I am out in the country though.

4. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Thanks guys. I had a look around a bit yesterday and saw lines of salt all over some of the roads in my neighborhood, from liquid application. I guess it has not rained enough here. It could be raining here today, but apparently it's too cold for that....... :(

This may be the first March that I'm not back out on the roads. It's making me really miss CA.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    They salted yesterday with that liquid stuff because of the snow today. Looking at the forecast with plenty of rain later this week you may be in luck this weekend. However I see a frozen mix 70% chance for next Tuesday. It will take a bit of more rain for you.

Stop by my office in Swanton and I will take you for a FF spin ... even with the snow blowing like the dickens as I look out my office window.

Rick

6. motorcitycars

motorcitycars Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I took my baby out on Sunday and a little on Monday, but we have gotten about an inch of snow in the past few hours. I anticipate the roads will be gross again tomorrow, remaining salty for at least a week.

7. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Thanks Rick, that's very kind of you to offer. Wish I could make it down.

I see rain forecast Thursday, Friday, Saturday, then warming to near 50 on Sunday. Sounds like the magic formula. Fingers crossed, fellas!

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Next week April 4-6 is our Toledo Show - R/C Expo | R/C Model Show Radio Control model airplane, boat, and car exposition that I am Co-Director of. It is at the beginning of April every year and very often we get ice or snow on at least one day of the show so I will be leaving the SottoZero's on the FF probably until right after the show. This is simply a normal year, even though we had 50+ inches OVER our normal 35.

Rick

9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I can still hear the salt crunch under my feet in the parking lots whereever I go, I think I will wait a bit more as painful as it is.

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    At least the dirt and stones are still frozen on your road? Think of the positive side:) Once the salt is gone you get to deal with spring rain and mud ... sorry for the reminder. I could always stop up there with my 4wd and give you a ride so you remember what it is like?

Rick

11. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Yes, this is a major problem. Private properties always use waaaaaay more salt on sidewalks and parking lots than municipalities do on roads. That in itself limits car usage early on in the season, clean roads or not.

12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Rick,
    Yes, the stones are still frozen, may change this weekend. And thanks for the reminder, the mud gets classic. I plan to have some 21AA crushed limestone delivered so i can re-do my drive, but I can't do from the drive to the road as that is another 3/4 mile.

Thanks for the offer! I plan to try to awaken the 360 this weekend. Even tho I won;t be able to drive it, at least I can sit in it. Maybe I will bring my laptop and watch a video of one of our previous drives.

I have been meaning to call a breakfast but have been hoping for better weather so we less-brave souls could take our cars. Maybe we'll go ahead and I will take my winter car

13. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Today was too nice a day for her to sit silently in my garage. I couldn't resist, couldn't wait any longer, so I fired her up. There is a Starbucks about 3/4 mile up the road from me. I hadn't had any coffee yet today, so I headed there. About 10 miles later, I passed it for the second time, screamed past a row of doddling cars, and made my way to a nice quiet parking space at work where I could give my Saeco a work out and catch up on a few things....with a smile.

14. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    How's it looking out there, fellas? We need a couple of good rains but it's been dry as a bone. Chomping at the bit here!

15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    North of the Border (SE Michigan) we still have salt, especially in the parking lots. Supposed to rain (or snow) Saturday; if rain then the streets will be clear.

Am taking the opportunity to change the coolant in the 360; satisfies my Jones for now as I too am raring to go!

16. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I'm living in Toledo full time now. Wait for a good rain, Terry. Today's little snow shower won't cut it. I cleaned and detailed my daily driver last weekend and drove it Thursday and Friday; the dust it collected was very salty.

The roads are full of debris and salt dust. We need a good wash from above. Give it a week or two . . . :)

P.S. - I'm "chomping at the bit" too -- Had all the cars started up and checked them over last weekend . . . can't wait!!

17. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    We had a WONDERFUL downpour today after a bit of on-and-off rain the past couple of days . . . when this spell of rain is over, hopefully all of the salt and road-rash-inducing grit will be washed away . . . Can't wait!!! :)

18. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Yes! Good point about the grit. It's quite a menace this year. I've just about mistaken some of the local roads I've been on lately for dirt roads. What a mess!

19. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Looking much cleaner out there. Should make for a good turn out on Sunday. See you there!

20. kylepetree

kylepetree Karting

Oct 1, 2012
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Kyle Petree
    Downpour today and plenty of time to dry out before Sunday, looks like a high near 70º! I can't wait! I'm going down to Columbus' Cars and Coffee on Saturday then up to Cauley on Monday to look at a California T. It's going to be a great car filled weekend!

21. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    36 hours to go!!! :D