Michigan registration | FerrariChat

Michigan registration

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by ozziindaus, Nov 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    How is registration cost determined in Michigan? I'm paying the same amount for a car worth about $30k than a do for one worth about 2 bucks. My Testarossa is costing me $445.

Also, does my '87 qualify for collector or historic plates?

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's based on the MSRP of the car, I think.

BTW, they do offer 30 and 60 day registration at a slight premium. The monthly cost is 1/10 of a year. This is what I do since driving season is probably only 8 months a year, and I'm not home to drive much anyway. That said, $445 isn't that high, so the savings might not be worth the hassle unless you know there will be a long stretch of 4-6 months of having it parked.

3. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Per the MI Secretary of State. For model years 1984 and newer, the vehicle registration is based n the MSRP. Registration for models 1983 or older are based on the vehicle's weight.
    You can register for a Historic Plate once the vehicle is 26 or more years old. Historic plates are $30 and renew every 10 years.

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    yep, msrp. I'm glad its not inflation adjusted!

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #5 ozziindaus, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys.

So is the '84 cut off date for classic cars set or rolling ie. 30yo? I'm also thinking classic car rego. would have restrictions on mileage or driving purpose (events, service etc). Also wondering if I can keep my vanity plate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    They won't let you keep the vanity plate if you do the 30 year old registration, and they give you a note to put in the car reminding you it is only for use to go to and from car events. ....but it is $35 for the life of the car

7. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have historical plates on my 1984 308. $30.00 for ten years. I don't drive it much and if I do, it's to a car related event. I doubt the police would ticket you unless they saw you on a daily occurrence. Secretary of State informed me it's for car shows, parades and car club events. Also, I was told the month of August is unlimited use. I doubt the personal plate applies, but not sure

8. envytheZ06

envytheZ06 Karting

Sep 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    Michigan is a rip off when it comes to registering cars, especially high end cars such as new Ferrari's. The cars that get driven little and weigh the least actually end up paying the most registration fees, crazy! Should be based off a weight system, I think.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i don't think it is anymore a ripoff than any other state i have seen... at least there is no yearly air test fee.

my 07 tahoe is $180 or so and my 78 corvette is around $30.

the MCSA (?) insurance premium thing is the real ripoff.

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L

11. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Yes, it is based on MSRP. When I registered my Maserati, I looked along the counter and tried to line up with the youngest looking girl at the SOS office.

She said "So, you only paid $23K for a Maserati" I said "that is right here is all my paperwork from CA."

She said "wait here I will get my supervisor". He explained to me that my license plate fee would be determined by: How much the state felt that car was worth, not what it is actually worth.

Yes their a very much restrictions on where/when you can drive with antique plates but I have always wondered how hard LEO's try to enforce those restrictions or how easy it would be to lie.

I think you are restricted to car shows and repairs, so every time you take your car out you could be going for repair or test drive.

I'm paying like $650.00 for plates.

12. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I think there's more leeway with classic cars.

I'd expect a TR to raise eyebrows if you take it out too often with vintage plates.

Although, carrying around a copy of Crusin' news would most likely get you out of any jam during the summer as there are meets every day of the week somewhere.

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    pre 84-85 is by weight....

than by msrp.... oh and the state graciously depreciates your car for 3-4 years and than freezes it.

14. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    sam:
    if you have not yet registered your car, pm me.

15. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    You can also register with "Authentic" plates. These are actual plates for year of manufacture. You need to get your own plates and send in a color photo copy with the form from the website. These are $30 for the life of the car. They are to be used for car shows, club events or following maintenance, so carry a tool box. I have a number of cars with these plates and have never been stopped.