help finding a 612 please | FerrariChat

help finding a 612 please

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by KY _Soldier, Mar 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Hello all. I am a longtime car enthusiast new to the Ferrari community. Been thinking about one for a long time. In the past I've had R8s, M5s, 911s, and some other fun vehicles. I considered a 430, but I have two younger girls that I want to be able to enjoy the vehicle with, so a backseat is a must.

I'm down to some decent options - an M235i convertible (used to have a 135i vert and loved it), an M3/M4, a newer 911, or some other options. The 612 has always been a favorite of mine, and I loved the gated shifter on my R8 and thought a stick in the 612 would be awesome. I saw a TDF blue one with red interior for sale a year or so ago in CT I think. I should have grabbed it then but was in the midst of a divorce

Anyway, would love some input from others who have had same question - what to get for a fun car that I can put my kids in. Also, I would love to actually drive a 612 if possible before pulling the trigger on one. If anyone is near Louisville I'd gladly buy dinner in exchange for a five minute tame drive around the block in one. I drove a Maserati granturismo and wondered if this would drive the same.

Other final thought that I've seen multiple threads on is to go with an early 612 and try to find a stick or get an 08+ OTO with glass roof. Thanks in advance for the help! ....Eric

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wouldn't buy a 612 unless you're in love with it, but that's just me. It's old, expensive, and not longer relevant in terms of performance. No warranty, so hope nothing major breaks.

I think the best car, objectively speaking, would be a used 991. It's just a waaaay better car in every respect. Would have a warranty and modern amenities too. Any modern Mercedes would be way better too, albeit less unique. The last gen C63(?) AMG cars sounds pretty raw and cool. I'm not a fan of BMW M cars, but again, that's just me.

If you want something more unique, maybe an older DB9 or some sort of AM from 2008+. Not any better or worse than a 612 IMO, though the back seats may be too small. Not sure.

Depends what you want out of it. A 612 or DB9 you're paying more for brand/design than anything.

3. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    What did you think of the GranTurismo? I bought a Maserati GranSport some years ago for the same reason - backseat for the kids. We have had a great time with it - the kids won't let me sell it! It has plenty of grunt for my purposes and it feels and sounds great too. Glad I didn't go F on that one. Maserati does comfort well, which makes them great for the family. Not surprising given that their wheelhouse is grand touring cars (F 612) and not true sports cars (F430). A different tool for a different job. If you are after a GT car, then how much does having the latest and greatest mean to you?

Bottom line is always the same (and I think you know it) - drive the cars and see which speaks to you.

Happy hunting!