Anyone up for some indoor kart racing? | FerrariChat

Anyone up for some indoor kart racing?

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Jeff328, Jan 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    This past summer a few of us went to K1 Speed in Buffalo Grove, IL for some indoor kart racing. Here's a thread that tells that story: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/north-midwest-usa-nd-sd-mn-ia-wi-il/414201-milwaukee-f-chat-karting-july-12-13-14-2013-a.html

To say it was an awesome time would be a major understatement - we all had a riot!

Looking to go on a Saturday, it's always hard to find a day that works for everyone. Here are Saturdays over the next 2 months that I am available:

January 18
    January 25
    February 1
    March 1
    March 8

Three 14 lap races cost $50. You will be tired after 3 races! These are not kiddie go-karts.

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I might be persuaded to show you boys the way around the track again.

Mark

3. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #3 Heat Seeker WS6, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'd like to do this round with you guys. I'm closing on the new house Jan 24th, so that and the following weekend are out.
    Have you been watching your training videos ...Truth in 24, Ricky Bobby, LeMans, Speed Racer, etc, etc?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Ricky Bobby is my role model for this. Shake-n-bake!

It's looking like the dates are narrowing down to March 1 or March 8.

5. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Got some more responses. It looks like March 1 is going to be our best date.

So - let's hear who wants to go! So far from fchat there's Mark (Joker57676), John (Heat Seeker WS6), and me. 4 other guys from my car club said they would go, and there are still 15 other people specifically invited who I haven't heard from yet.

March 1 gives all you busy people plenty of time to plan ahead.

6. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Got 12 so far who say they want to race on March 1.

Skills from none to lots.

Ages from 23 to 65.

7. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I would love to go, just have to clear the date with the Mrs.. Would be great to finally meet some fellow F-chatters from the area.

Are we doing a private party or just going during open racing?

8. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Checked with the wife, I am in and my brother would like to come as well so that should move us up to 14.

I (Thad) am 29, he (Michael) is 33, both of moderate experience.

9. ftech1

ftech1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2007
    I'm in.

Also I do a league at K1 speed once a month. Very competitive, lots of fun. It's called Ken's indoor racing league

KEN'S INDOOR RACING LEAGUE

10. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    With futureowner and ftech1 (ringer!) plus everyone else from Fchat and my car club who say they will go we are up to 17 who say they will attend!

Futureowner and ftech1, would you mind PM'ing me your real names to add to my private list for the event?

The plan originally was to just show up for arrive and drive open racing, but we might be better off with a more organized approach if 17 people actually attend.

Last time we went we had 7 people attend so arrive and drive worked fine.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #11 Heat Seeker WS6, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Add me as IN Jeff! I still have yet to run at K1. How different again is the concrete & handling characteristics from the CIR setup? And is it true they will 'turn down' individual karts so the fast guys can get reeled in by slower drivers?

12. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I think with so many of us wanting to go, it would be worth it to look at a private event. Iirc they had three options priced at $40, $60 or $80 a person. I'm in for any of those.

Thad

13. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Just did a quick look at the packages, they are as follows:

Mini Grand Prix ($49 per person)
    - 14 Lap Qualifying
    - 16 Lap Final Race
    - Includes medals for top three finishers and and a podium photo

Grand Prix ($60 per person)
    - 12 Lap Practice
    - 14 Lap Qualifying
    - 16 Lap Final Race
    - Includes trophies for top three finishers and a podium photo

Le Mans Endurance ($80 per person)
    - 12 Lap Practice
    - 14 Lap Qualifying #1
    - 14 Lap Qualifying #2
    - 16 Lap Final Race

Worth noting that by booking a race package people do not have to purchase a race license ($6 per person savings).

More info here: Adult Birthday Parties Go Kart Party in Southern California, Washington, Florida and Arizona

14. ftech1

ftech1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2007
    The carts are heavier but handling is pretty good. Personally I like it better than CIR. With them being electric the power delivery is better but the downside is that yes they can de-tune the karts.

15. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Thanks Thad for looking that up.

I'm thinking the middle package would be the best and basically the same price as the $50 deal since you don't need the $6 "license".

Grand Prix ($60 per person)
    - 12 Lap Practice
    - 14 Lap Qualifying
    - 16 Lap Final Race

I'll give them a call and see what they need to make a reservation.

A few more of my local pals have thrown in their hats and we are now up to 19 who say they want to go. But saying you want to go and actually going are often 2 different things.

16. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I remember with some of the old CIR karts there was alot of slip N slide and engine performace was all over the place. Time to relearn indoor karting!

17. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Jeff, the wife told me she may want to participate....and by participate I mean act as a moving chicane. :)

Mark

18. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    She'll be the only girl but she won't be the only moving chicane :) I'm sure she'll be able to hold her own, shrinking violet that she is, LOL.

The response we've received this time is CRAZY compared to when we went last July. Guess there's less to do outside in March :)

19. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I didn't want to say anything but since it worked out that March 1 was the best date for this event, that day is also coincidentally my 51st birthday (holy crap! :)) but I don't feel a day over 21 and my wife says I act like I'm 15.

20. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I'll try to confirm whether she really wants to join in or not. Last time I did karts with her, she "held her own" by spinning me out as I lapped her! :D

Mark

21. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    What a great day! 19 people participated and I think everyone had a fantastic time, I know I did.

Definitely something to do again.

22. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Great time, Jeff. Those carts are a blast.

Mark

23. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Jeff- thanks much for setting the event up and hope it was a great birthday for you! Great meeting you Mark and others whom I've only 'known' online. I didn't realize they had an F1 standing start for the final... that was an awesome surprise!

I was really impressed on how K1 did their homework with the setup down there. Each of the 4 karts I was in had very similar handling and performance characteristics so the time to get used to a kart was very minimal; whereas the karts CIR used were all over the place and you had to adapt to each and every kart. The track surface was very good and a huge fan of the new adhesion levels. Comparatively, when under CIR operation, it was pretty slick and you really had to focus on not driving sloppy or get seduced into powersliding for fun- which is the laptime killer.

This snow seriously needs to go away so the outdoor toys can come out and play!

24. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Jeff, thanks again for setting it all up. Had a great time meeting everyone and really liked the set up of the event! Looking forward to seeing everyone out and about in the future.