Early/mid-march travel advice | FerrariChat

Early/mid-march travel advice

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by f1_nix, Jan 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Looking for advice on travelling across Minnesota and Wisconsin in early to mid-March. I need to take my daughter to visit some colleges in the area and, being from Texas, have no idea what driving conditions are typically like at that time of year. We would consider driving from the Minneapolis area through Madison, WI and into Chicago. What do I need to know? Thanks.

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    That time of year you get fairly warm temps (above freezing day and night) in central WIl. Occasionally you get really heavy wet snow or if conditions are right freezing rain.
    Our golf course in Duluth opens an average of April 20 and those courses down there (and the twin cities) usually average 2-3 weeks before us, so if one can play golf, temps aren't that bad.
    Maybe that helps

3. DaveR

DaveR Rookie

Dec 9, 2009
    The weather in March can vary a lot, from below zero to 80. We also usually get a couple of snow storms in March. It warms up and melts after a few days. Then again we could have relatively nice weather it all depends on the spring. If you want to see what I mean google Minnesota weather in March and look at the extremes versus average. Before you leave check the long term forecast, and pack accordingly.

4. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    More than I knew coming in. Thanks. I'm guessing our driving will be in town and on I-94 for the most part.

5. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Living my life in se Wisconsin I would agree, it could honestly be in the 70's (though rare) or 20s/30s, just hard to predict.

As for the Madison-Chicago drive, you would have two options, 94 which would take you through Milwaukee, se Wisconsin/northern Illinois to Chicago which gives you more to look at however, you could also take I90. Less enjoyable imo and will not see as much but might be faster. Just a heads up since you are not familiar with the area.

6. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    You mention that driving will be in town and on I-94.....while these roads will be 1st to be maintained, winter in these parts, even in March, can make travel an adventure.

We got 12" of snow in early May last year...

7. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Rent an SUV for sure. You should be fine on the roads.

Where are you driving? From the Twin Cities to Madison?

8. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    The plan would be to fly to the Twin Cities then drive to Madison and on to Chicago, then maybe into Michigan.

9. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What schools will she be looking at?

I have to review my route but I drove from Bolton - Milwaukee which brought us through Michigan, Chicago, and onto Milwaukee. Been to Madison as well and am planning MN this summer.

10. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    We'll be visiting University of Minnesota and Macalester in the Twin Cities, U Wis in Madison, maybe Northwestern in Chicago and Michigan in Ann Arbor.