The HAWK with Brian Redman | FerrariChat

The HAWK with Brian Redman

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Jeff328, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
  2. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    We'll be there Friday for the concours and then all day & night Saturday. 2 of our friends that were at the track for the first time this past weekend want to go up there again, so if they do join us I may sign up for touring to give them a 'proper' tour of the facilities.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I will be there Sunday but trying to see if we can make it up Saturday and stay the night. Camping is stupid expensive at the track so we are seeing what else to do.

4. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Will be there Saturday night. Can't wait!

5. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I will be there Saturday night with the girlfriend for the Sports Car Concours in downtown Elkhart Lake. might make it for the other events.

6. Davisvehicles

Davisvehicles Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Brew City/Windy City
    Full Name:
    Ben Davis
    I will be there Saturday Night for the sports car Concours as well! Can't wait, it's going to be crazy!!

7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Alrighty we got our tickets for Sunday but it does not look like Saturday evening will be happening. This is the first "race" event my gf will be attending so it should be interesting!

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Some "Life" stuff came up and we had to cancel this years trip. First time missing the event in 10+ years. Bummed out this whole week.

Friday's race car parade/show and saturday concours are a couple of the best nights of the whole year... incredible place/town/people/event/evening.

9. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    F-Chat gathering Sat night?

10. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Yep Saturday night concours night and roaming around town looking at all the cars NOT in the show too - best night of the whole year by far. And thank GOD (although usually hot), the weather is ALWAYS great that day!

11. Davisvehicles

Davisvehicles Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Brew City/Windy City
    Full Name:
    Ben Davis
    IMO, looking at the cars not in the show is half the fun!! Milwaukee Concours spectator lot always has a ton of stuff in it!

12. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Regarding Touring, is it just a "follow the leader" type session? I just bought an IS-F and would love to have it on the track! I will be up there on Friday.

13. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Touring is "follow the leader" not supposed to exceed 75 mph or something like that. They typically use 2 pace cars. But people do crazy things sometimes. Hang back for some higher speed bursts, etc.

14. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Jeff, thanks for the detail. Regarding the "crazy things" that people do, is it well regulated? I've done track weekends, etc so know my limits but I don't want to put myself and my car at risk in too crazy an environment.

Thad

15. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Touring at the HAWK has been fairly well regulated the last few years that I have done it. It is usually very crowded (especially on Saturday) and that limits the speeds. One thing you will not have to worry about is following the racing line or threshold braking!

I usually try to stay away from any other cars and have never felt that I or my car were in danger. Some people seem to think they are driving on the street and religiously stay in the "right lane" so you need to watch out for that kind of thing if you late apex because they can show up unexpectedly when you turn in. And one time I followed a minivan (!) for two laps and they used their turn signal for EVERY corner. That was obviously not dangerous but it was pretty funny.

16. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I remember back in the day it was pretty loose and race cars would join in. Getting in a 'fast pack' was fun and triple digits was frequently seen. Aaaah good times!

17. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Yeah, my first time saw some 130+ mph sprints but that doesn't seem likely or possible anymore.

18. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I'll let you know Saturday afternoon how the speeds went :). There's also always fun speed trap before turn 5's braking zone too ;)

19. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I'll be out there touring on Saturday with my 328.

20. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I can only make Friday this year but likely will be touring with my dark grey IS-F.

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #21 Meister, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    We've done touring several times but have since stopped. Too many crazy people, (sadly younger guys) thinking it's an actual race. Has become a little to dangerous for my taste. It's something you should do once, but just be aware of what you are going to get into.

The last straw was some dipshxt in a kia sportage riding my ass when I was driving my 66 corvette. I also wonder how insurance would handle it if something happened.

Friday used to be a little less crowded but it's pretty much all the same now

22. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I have heard lots of talk about Friday and Saturday but sadly that is not available for me. Any suggestions for Sunday such as places to watch or places to see/eat? This is my first time at Road America so have no idea where to watch from.

Will anyone be there Sunday?

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #23 joker57676, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tamas, you're going to love it. You'll be able to roam the track at will. You're free to drive your car around the grounds anywhere but the paddock (you can walk the paddock though). For action, I like turn 5 at the bottom of the hill (or a little up the hill along the Moraine Sweep where they brake into 5), or the turn 6, 7, 8 complex. It's also fun to sit right along the fence of the front or back straight to get a sense of their speed. See the map below. I'd recommend roaming all over the place and taking it all in. You'll definitely find where you like to watch best.

Bring your own chairs if possible and a cooler. I usually bring all my own food and drinks. You don't have to be in the stands, you can choose to camp out where ever you want. I don't know the rules on grills, but I have brought in my own grill and cooked out.

The noise, smells, sights....they're all intoxicating.

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'll be there. Sat night Concours too with the Diablo.

25. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Turn 5 is my favorite as you can see them braking heavy, blasting up the hill, then coming around again for the final turn.

As far as eating, if you don't want to bring your own I highly recommend St. John the Baptist (right outside the pit area), the place down by the go-kart track is decent as well.