Ferrari shop in Des Moines | FerrariChat

Ferrari shop in Des Moines

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Lindy, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lindy

Lindy Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Does anyone remember the Ferrari dealer that was in DSM on Walnut just a bit SE of the old Dave Ostrems? I remember going there in the late 70's, early 80's. They had a lavender 308GT4 and a yellow 246 GTS on the showroom floor. I still have the production/sale catalog they gave me.

2. FordMan

FordMan Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bobby R
    There was an authorized Ferrari Dealer in DSM? I wish they still had one here

3. Akram

Akram Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2009
    Clive, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray Salloum
    I heard that story before but I thought it was just nursery rhyme.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #4 finnerty, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Never been a "Ferrari Dealer" of any official capacity in Des Moines (or anywhere in Iowa for that matter).

Based on your location description and time frame, I would guess you are talking about the old location of Beckley Automotive Services. They used to service some local F-cars back then, but they never were into sales. Although, it is possible they may have had a customer car they were helping sell on consignment from time to time which they kept at their shop. I also don't remember them ever having an actual showroom of any formal nature --- but, I could be wrong about that. Most likely they just had a small space aside from the service area where they could display a car or two they were helping to sell for a customer for a little while.

Other than a POS black 348 that ADM had on their sales floor a few years back, a silver 355 that Wide World of Wheels had in their inventory for a short while before they dumped it back to Mecum Auctions pool also a few years back, and the black 355 (which I believe was one of the owner's personal cars) that Toyota of Des Moines was trying to sell also a few years back........I don't think any F-cars have changed hands through any car sales facilities in Des Moines. Though some have been bought / sold privately within the area from time to time.

5. Lindy

Lindy Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    On a different note, didn't the old Subaru dealership in Urbandale sell Lotus as well?

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Nope --- They (Ramsey) used to have a Porsche concession though, but not Lotus.

7. Lindy

Lindy Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Im talking (they) pre Ramsey on 70th and Douglas maybe, Subaru and Lotus dealer. Ill come up with the name and repost.

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #8 finnerty, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    9625 Hickman

Back then it was Ramsey Pontiac & Subaru. And, they did have a Porsche dealership on site adjacent, but not flagged as Ramsey, yet still owned by Ramsey (although they had some local investment partners in the Porsche franchise --- rumor has it the investor group was connected to the long defunct Ostrem Motors in downtown on Locust, where ADM (American Dream Machines) is located now, who had Porsche / Audi / VW back in the 70's and early 80's until they went bankrupt.

They (Ramsey Porsche) only lasted a few years, maybe 4 or 5, IIRC. But, they are still there dealing Subaru and Mazda now.

http://www.ramseyauto.com/

9. Lindy

Lindy Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    What was the name of the dealership on 70th just north of douglas? I thought it was a Subaru/Lotus dealer. Maybe they were VW/Lotus?

10. Lindy

Lindy Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    I just found it. Lamberts Saab,Fiat,BMW, and yes- Subaru! I also do recall them having a Lotus sign but they never had any in stock.
    Cheers!

11. Lindy

Lindy Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    A friend of mine, Jack Mullane leased a 911 convertible from Ramsey back in the day.Must've been 89 or 90.

12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    You got me there --- I have no memory of that place whatsoever. Is it possible that they were offering only independent service on Lotus ? Even then, that would be weird as I doubt there have ever been more than 4-5 Lotuses anywhere in the entire state of Iowa at any given time --- not exactly a viable business model :)

13. vintagethunder

Jan 12, 2014
    Monmouth, IL
    There was a Lotus dealer on E. Lincoln Way in Ames in the 1970s. I remember they had a pile of Europa bodies piled up behind the shop. Three burned, one wrecked. The shop on Reliable Street had a Lotus sign in it, and still might. I remember it as haven a Rolls Royce in primer parked in the weeds next to the train tracks for several years around 1990. I assumed this shop was connected to the Lotus dealership, which I always heard burned under suspicious circumstances... They fixed my son's Civic and did terrible work. I remember seeing 7 or 8 Loti from the Eclat era buried in snow at the used car shop on HYW 69 by Alleman around 1982/3 on the way back from a Porsche Club meeting. That is my record of Loti spotted in Iowa.

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    They had Fiats and I remember seeing a 246 in there.