anyone in Iowa? | FerrariChat

anyone in Iowa?

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Kleos1, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    Just wondering if there's anyone in Iowa, near Des Moines

2. JDSF355GTS

JDSF355GTS Rookie

Jan 29, 2004
    I am in CR.

3. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    CR? Coral Ridge?

4. JDSF355GTS

JDSF355GTS Rookie

Jan 29, 2004
    Cedar Rapids...Marion actually. I just got my first Ferrari. '97 F355 GTS. Have not even gotten to drive it yet b/c of weather. I am counting the days for melted snow and some rain to clean up these damn roads!

5. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    We got ours in mid January, and the wait is killing us too :)

6. JDSF355GTS

JDSF355GTS Rookie

Jan 29, 2004
    I could not resist any longer and took it for a drive yesterday. It had rained a bit earlier in the week and cleaned the roads...to some degree...so I took my maiden voyage...Fantastic! I put about 30 miles on it. Now that I drove it I am almost worse off...it seems rather addicting! I am looking forward to some great times this spring & summer.

7. btaylor74

btaylor74 Rookie

Feb 8, 2005
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Do you know of anyone in town that will do quality work on my 328?

8. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    I good to see someone else in the Des Moines area.
    Sorry I don't know of anyone in town the works on Ferrari's.

9. Musta10000

Musta10000 Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    Urbandale, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Skip Hammerman
    #9 Musta10000, Feb 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in Urbandale. I have a 2000 BMW M5 (with lease ending in March of 2005) and a 1999 Boxster. Right now I am trying to decide if I should keep the M5 or not. The lease buyout is $39K. The car has 39,500 miles and is in great condition. I just don't know what else I would get. The only viable option seems to be the new 911S.

Anyway, I am planning to "upgrade" the Boxster to a 355 Spider once I decide what to do with the M5 and get settled.

Skip
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    Great we need more Ferrari's in Iowa

11. 308QVDave

308QVDave Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    "New" '85 308 owner here. Just wanted to revive this thread and see if there are any other new F-cars in the Des Moines area that are on the list!

12. WRCR

WRCR Rookie

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampton IA
    Full Name:
    Bill Croell
    I know I,m not that close but I have a 308 gt4 in northeast Iowa.

13. 308QVDave

308QVDave Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    Where at? I am up that way quite often for work...

14. WRCR

WRCR Rookie

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampton IA
    Full Name:
    Bill Croell
    New Hampton

15. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I just happen to be visiting NE Iowa for at the moment from NC (360 Spider owner). In Dubuque tonight but have plants in Monona, West Union, and here in Dubuque that I visit every month, as well as another in North-Central Iowa.

I brought the 360 out here last summer...seemed to cause quite a commotion on the back roads of NE Iowa!

16. WRCR

WRCR Rookie

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampton IA
    Full Name:
    Bill Croell
    I believe it. Most people I showed my car to have never seen a Ferrari.

17. 308QVDave

308QVDave Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    WRCR-I may be in new Hampton the first part of May looking at cattle-if so I will PM you and maybe we could meet up-I'd love to see the GT

Marcmc-with the 360 you might as well be driving a UFO around here. If you know someone who knows someone there are a few nice cars around here, but by and large Iowa is not the exotic / classic capital of the universe. I know a guy in Des Moines that has a Testarossa and our families met up for dinner a week ago. There were almost a few fender benders looking at our old iron. Funniest part of the evening was two prom couples posing for a picture by the cars like they were their prom rides-we were sitting outside to eat within earshot of the cars and both of our wives shot us a look after one of the girls said "I wish we were going to prom with the owners of these rides!"

Good for a chuckle at least...

18. WRCR

WRCR Rookie

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampton IA
    Full Name:
    Bill Croell
    I'm out of town a lot but let me know when your around. I would be glad to show the gt4 to you.

19. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    i'm from the des moines area..however not a ferrari owner yet. Kleos1 what kind of ferrari do you have?

20. 308QVDave

308QVDave Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    I've got an '85 308 GTSi-I have ALWAYS wanted one, and felt like it had to be the first one for me. It has been a great learning experience, and I am going to add a 550 to the stable before fall as well. I am out in the Waukee area quite a bit, and drive it and my Viper as often as I can. PM me if you are ever out in the area!

21. Nikoskevlar

Nikoskevlar Karting

Apr 16, 2010
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    M. squire
    New to DSM, and the Ferrari. Bad state to have such a nice car. Has anyone found a decent mechanic? Going to the twin cities makes me cringe. I hate the drive......

22. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #22 finnerty, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    TO ALL ---

There are no Ferrari mechanics in the Des Moines area (or anywhere else in the state, for that matter).

That said...shoot me a PM --- I may be able to help you out ;)

If you have a Ferrari and are in Des Moines, that is........

23. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    I live in the Waukee area

24. WRCR

WRCR Rookie

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampton IA
    Full Name:
    Bill Croell
    So being there are no Ferrari mechanics in Iowa, Where do you guys take your cars to get worked on?

25. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I have an oversize 4-car garage. One half of it contains my workshop. So, when one of my cars needs attention, I move it over to the "service center" :)

When I need to have any highly specialized work done (like machining a head, or upholstery work) I take the parts off the car and ship them to the appropriate expert --- sometimes East, sometimes West, depending on what the task is and who has the schedule for it.

Frankly, if one can't work on these cars (at least much of the service) oneself, I don't see the point of having an exotic in a place like Iowa. Flat-bedding your Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo, or Lotus to Chicago or Kansas City every time it needs attention is a ludicrous waste of time and money --- combine that with the short driving season in the Midwest, and you will be spending very little time enjoying your hard-earned toy !

You're better off with a Porsche or a Vette :)